Lumberjacking

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Adam_Olini, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Adam_Olini

Adam_Olini New Member

This isn't really a guide, just information. I was working to chop up a ton of boards to make early cash here on the server. I kept track of everything on the way:

All of these below are real skill and include oak boards when i was able to chop them as well.

0-10 -- 30 logs
    10.1-20 -- 860 logs
    20.1-30 -- 1,530 logs
    30.1-40 -- 2,040 logs
    40.1-50 -- 3,400 logs
    50.1-60 -- 3,840 logs
    60.1-70 -- 5,510 logs
    70.1-80 -- 8,800 logs
    80.1-90 -- 16,520 logs
    90.1-100 -- 37,170 logs
    Dalavar, Basoosh and Friar Jocham like this.
  2. Markos

Markos Well-Known Member

Good data to have. Thanks!
  3. Samuel Colt

Samuel Colt Member

I have a question since I'm fairly new to this server. I've seen oak logs on vendors and oak furniture, but no other woods. Are there different woods you can harvest like on OSI or is it just the oak? Or does that come from elsewhere?
  4. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Its just oak here.
  5. Samuel Colt

Samuel Colt Member

Thank you sir! I appreciate the help with that little bit of confusion. Every time I turn around, I find something different here than what I was used to. I just realized today that secure containers had weight limits. I spent 30 minutes trying to make a pile of boards go in a bag. LOL!
  6. Li Meiyang

Li Meiyang Member

The key to lumberjacking is syncing up with animation. I use "use object in hand" hotkey to get the targeting cursor and start hacking at the tree.

Next you'll get either a 1, 2, or 3 swing animation. So what I do is sync up the keystroke so that I retarget the tree the moment the animation stops. It takes some practice, but it's well worth it because you can gather wood at maximum efficiency.

By the way, I am new to the server so I have a couple questions relating to wood:

1. What's the deal with "oak"? Do I need to target specific trees to get it or can it be derived from any wood?

2. How do you make boards? I tried buying a bunch of carpentry tools but I couldn't find an option to make boards.
  7. Basoosh

I forget the exact skill level, but after around 85 lumberjacking you have a chance to get oak from certain trees. The trees work like ore veins (i.e., the same spot always gets you shadow ore).

Double click an axe or hatchet and then target the logs.
  8. Fireball

Fireball Active Member

As I chomp my way through Lumberjacking, I also have a couple of questions. I'm at 87.5 lumberjacking now and I have yet to find any oak. Are there any numbers for the rarity of oak? There is little information about Lumberjacking other than the benefit to swordsmanship with the large axes. And 85 still is mentioned as the "oak point" but it doesn't say whether this is base skill or shown/modified skill. As I am, as I type, still only 84.6 base skill, I am wondering if it is this which must be 85. Until I read this thread on it being like the ore vein system I was trying all sorts of things including chopping only oak trees which in my mind would make perfect sense... I do feel that this stuff should be in the wiki.

Also, on other shards I am able to hold 620 boards with 100 strength, but here only 350 due to their apparently increased weight. Lumberjacking is monumentally tedious as it is but with the absence of the 8x8 grid wood store system on this shard, together with having to run back to the bank or my house with only 350 boards at one time, one has to wonder why the heck anyone bothers with this horrific chore at all! Could we reduce the weight of boards at the very least to encourage people to stick it out without using the hatchets to cut their own throats in desperation? :)

FB
  9. Basoosh

Oak isn't too rare. You'll find some within a couple minutes usually. Don't know the minimum skill levels for it, whether it's real/shown... if you find out, lemme know and I'll update!

Lumber is indeed heavy. You might like to try a pack horse - they can hold a ton more here than normal RunUO.
  10. Fireball

Fireball Active Member

I did find 20 oak shortly after reaching 85 base skill. Updating the page for others would be great.

I see also that 350 boards is actually the RunUO default so I guess Telemon simply hasn't got round to changing the weight, or perhaps the weight of boards increased at some point in UO's history...
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  11. Basoosh

50 skill or 85 skill?
  12. Fireball

Fireball Active Member

85. edited thanks. Also I have so far only found Oak on Oak trees, but I am chopping the same area over and over so can't say whether or not oak logs can come off non-oak trees elsewhere. Perhaps someone else can confirm this.
  13. Taliic

Taliic Well-Known Member

The type of tree doesn't matter. I've gotten oak from every species(species?) of tree, even the christmas trees.
  14. Basoosh

Thanks Fireball, I've updated the guide with that info. And indeed, the type of tree doesn't matter.