Mace fighting

Discussion in 'PvP Discussion' started by Nootka, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Nootka

Nootka Member

Hello, I'm new to this shard. I want to ask one question the answer to which I couldn't find in the wiki. Macefighting here reduces endurance without the use of special. strikes or work as something else?
    Sorry for my English :)
  2. Ahirman

Ahirman Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Mace will reduce stamina to players/mobs you're attacking. The special move is crushing blow from certain weapons. I know war hammers are one. It also wrecks armor!
    PaddyOBrien and Nootka like this.
  3. Nootka

Nootka Member

Thank you for the detailed response. That's what interested me.
    Ahirman likes this.
  4. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

I believe the war axe is still broken and it does not drain stamina.

War Hammer is the only mace weapon that has crushing blow, and it's a pretty heavy hit.. if it lands.
    One and Nootka like this.
  5. Loxness

Loxness Active Member
    UO:R Donor

Gnarled and Quarter staves (And crooks for that matter) are all SUPPOSE to have crushing. Do they not here?
    One likes this.
  6. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

I don't believe so. QStaff would be a pretty nasty weapon with crushing.
    One likes this.
  7. Loxness

Loxness Active Member

Yeah that's why the q-staff used to be the mage destroyer bc it was fast and hit hard when crushing went off.

I would like confirmation on this! If not, this is certainly not era correct.
    Theodin and PaddyOBrien like this.
  8. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

I don't recall anything but the war hammer having crushing blow.
  9. Nootka

Nootka Member

If so, then that's really sad. I particularly was interested not so much crushing blow as an opportunity to run with a one-handed war axe, and reduce the stamina of the enemy. But if it is as you say and that it doesn't work, well, I'll have to find other ways of templates.(
  10. Loxness

Loxness Active Member

Both of these are unfortunate. The war axe's only perk is the stam drop since all macing weps cant be poisoned.

Also, all 2 handed macing weps are suppose to crushing... Just like all swords 2 handed weps concussion blow, and all fencing 2 handed weps paralyzing blow. No wonder no one uses macing over here. All the perks aren't even available.

Is there a reasoning behind this? Or just coded wrong?
  11. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

I think that all 2h macing weapons that aren't staves got crushing blow. Which is only the war hammer. I don't believe any staff ever had crushing blow prior to age of shadows.
  12. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

Publish 5 introduced this feature, view it here

Nootka likes this.
  13. Loxness

Loxness Active Member

Wowza. Yeah those weapons certainly had crushing blow before AOS (I can't find an exact date but a lot of the other pre Trammel servers had them as well)..but this honestly explains why a lot of those -then- great weapons like the black and quarter staff are awful here.

I suggest, in an effort to further attempt to resurrect dexxers (and mace fighting) to add crushing to all 2 handed macing weapons...

Why do all 2 handed swords/axes get concussion blow, and all 2 handed fencing weapons get paralyzing blow, but not mace fighting?

Just a suggestion. And perhaps an explanation? Not like they would be OP or anything. You can't even make runic versions of them.

@Chris anyway you could elaborate on this for us? :)
  14. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

While I still think that crushing blows from staves are not era accurate, I agree that giving them crushing blow can do nothing but help a currently terrible weapon skill. By design maces are built for wearing your opponent down by breaking stamina and armor class over time. It's not a great strategy for killing a player in general since spike/burst damage will always be king in pvp. Any buff to maces is probably good.
    Loxness and One like this.
  15. snap dragon

My comment meant they are NOT era accurate. It's right there, in the publish notes. It's no mystery. Q-staffs did not do the crushing blow, and maybe for good reason because they were already some of the best weapons in the game when the meta didn't rely entirely on optimized builds and burst damage poison lock, etc.

They did not get special moves until the AoS or whatever "special move" thing happened and even then, all the weapons had their special moves shuffled around to get a primary and secondary.
  16. TrojanCow

TrojanCow Well-Known Member

Could have sworn this server put "perfection" before "accuracy". That is, making the general era generally the best it can generally be. Generally.

If so, my macer would also love to see his options open up.
    Loxness and One like this.
  17. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Right I'm responding to Loxness who said: Yeah those weapons certainly had crushing blow before AOS (I can't find an exact date but a lot of the other pre Trammel servers had them as well
    TrojanCow likes this.
  18. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

While I would certainly love to see Crushing Blow on staves, I think it would be incredibly OP with the right quarter staff. However, considering quarter staves will never be better than vanquishing, it might not hurt too much.

As it stands, the quarter staff is/was the best DPS weapon in the game, or so I thought.
  19. snap dragon

Yeah it was a really good weapon in-era. But I think that is partly due to not everyone having 1000 red potions all the time as well. In a dexer v dexer fight, that stamina drain can really make the macer come out on top, especially in a timeframe when it wasn't all about instantly doing as much damage as possible or locking people with poison/stun etc.. The average fight was more about just outdamaging your opponent because they likely didn't have things like GM heal and such.

Here, stamina drain isn't very great except in certain cases:

1.) You're fighting a dexer using a 2 handed weapon. They have to drop the weapon to drink a potion and suffer a equip delay loweing their DPS. Or they don't drink potion, and their DPS suffers. If both are sufficiently armored, they shouldn't be killing eachother in 2 hits anyway, and it becomes a game of attrition. (except now when someone is low they can run and modern connections make it impossible to catch anyone with ping under 400ms really, so dexer fight is pointless)

2.) You want to fight monsters... with a dexer. You lower their stamina and they hit you less. If I wanted to melee a Balron for example, I would use a mace fighter. Sure there's better ways to kill a balron, but this can be an advantage in some instances, even holiday events or AMIB when you use repond or whatever.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    One likes this.
  20. Loxness

Loxness Active Member

Not to get into an argument with you (although debate is very good for a healthy discussion and good for informational purpose so please take it as such) but I have still have to disagree with the move not being added until after AoS. I will try to look into it when I have more time.

But, to simply play devil's advocate with you.... Bonding was added at the same time that Fire Steeds became tamable and Unicorns and Ki-Rins (Which were tamable) were given specials (Poison Immunity & Ki-Rin force of nature). Also, there were power scrolls in the game.

(Site for facts; http://uo.stratics.com/uoherald/news/news.php?newsid=703)

And clearly, there were only 5 follower slots, not 8.

So this whole "Era Accuracy" thing you are claiming about crushing not being on staves is a fairly moot point anyways, given some of the other "differences". Besides... All dexxer skills (along with macing and archery especially) certainly need some love on this server.. I don't think anyone who plays any form of a dexxer/archer would disagree with that thought process.

Again, just as a discussion point and not for an argument... But the way you said things as you were, basically looked like you were saying

"Uhmmm I pointed it out. Are you even reading what I am posting?"

If I took it wrong, I apologize vehemently. But it seemed that way to me.