Magic Reflect In Depth

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Zim, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member

So the formula for Circles of Reflection (CoR) is like this:
    (Magery + Inscription) /200 * 7 + 8 = CoR

So if my magery is 70 and my inscription 0, then my reflected circles should be: 10.45

So my first question is does it take the real or displayed skill into account?
    With the displayed levels I have a magery of 72.4 and an Inscription of 6.2. That would mean that my CoR would be: 10.75

Does Reflect round up or down?

My second question is:
    Does casting reflect from a scroll at less than GM skill change anything? Like, does it make the value of your magery go UP, giving you an extra circle or two of reflect??

TYVM in advance.
  2. Hiji Zuru

Hiji Zuru Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

You have to have it at GM to get the bonus. I recently looked into it and found a very old thread confirming this. Seems like it is still consistent with my in game experience as well.
  3. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

I dont know about the other stuff, but casting a spell from a scroll only increases the "chance" to cast, and not the spell calculations.
  4. Milky Milkerson

Milky Milkerson Active Member

I haven't been able to get a clear answer on the formula. The one you quoted is wrong. Telamon told me a similar one on irc and it wasn't right. I can tell you that at gm magery you get about 7 circles (don't remember if it is 6 or 8). With gm inscription it should double to about 12 or 16.
  5. David Scraggs

David Scraggs Well-Known Member

Maybe @Dalavar can enlighten us. I remember when building me macerate/scribe there was a lot of info on it.
  6. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I have a post somewhere on this I think. Magery and Inscription only give you their full bonus at GM. So it's something like 8 circles at GM Magery and 16 at GM Magery and GM Inscription, but anything less than 100 in either is useless for this spell. I'm not sure if this has been patched though.
  7. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Usually a UOR representative would pitch in but unfortunately they're enthralled in Catcher And The Rye at the moment. Sorry.
  8. David Scraggs

I have no idea what that is lol
  9. ebola

ebola Well-Known Member

You have to have both 100 real magery and 100 real inscription in order to get the reflect bonus.
    It usually take for non scribe 2 mana drains or low level spells to brake reflect.
    For gm scribe mage it takes 3 high level spells such as ebolt or 4 mana drains or low level spells to brake reflect .
  10. Bogugh

Bogugh Well-Known Member

If you have 100 Magery and 100 Inscription, you have 15 circles of reflection.
    If you do not, you have 8 circles. (I think this may be true at all levels of magery, but you can test yourself.)

The first spell to exceed this number goes through.

Examples

You have 8 circles and you are hit with Mana Drain and then Explosion.
    Result: 4+6=10, The Explosion spell goes through for full damage.

You have 8 circles and you are hit with Mana Drain and then Lightning.
    Result: 4+4=8, The Lightning spell is reflected.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  11. David Scraggs

Just tested this. With my scribe/archer I was able to reflect two ebolts.

With just GM Margery I was only able to reflect 1 ebolt.

Relative armor is awesome too if you're using med/Margery/inscription. You can absorb 75 points of damage if they're all GM. With my scribe I can only absorb about 66 or so. It works well for my archer and I don't see adding med for the extra 9 points of absorbtion. It has some nice effects to blessing too.
  12. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

So no circles reflected (for MR) below GM scribe?
  13. Bogugh

Bogugh Well-Known Member

Correct, no additional circles. Even at 99.9.

Neither. ((Magery + Inscription)/200) is truncated. If the value was rounded instead it would have some pretty stupid results. You'd have 12 circles at 100 magery alone and you would only get 3 more circles for 100 skill points. More importantly, two explo or ebolt would get reflected with or without inscription.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017