Make Dexers Great Again

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Arcanias, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Arcanias

Arcanias Well-Known Member

Item bless deeds were released on OSI servers in 1999 prior to item insurance/AOS. They were released as CUB rewards, and were the most expensive item available at the time. I think these would go a long way in helping dexers on this server where tamers can have bonded pets. Wouldn’t it be great if you could bless your super slayer and actually use it somewhere else besides in a trammel instance? If implemented in a reasonable way, I think these would go a long way in making dexers great again. With little expectation that these would ever be implemented, I suggest the following nonetheless:

-Item Bless Deeds available in the Copper Reward Store for 100k copper or more.

-Cannot bless Exceptional runic weapons. (Would imbalance PvP)
    Lord Sky, Hawkeye, Chafe and 8 others like this.
  2. Earsnot

Earsnot Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Bonded dragons ARE blessed weapons.
    I support this idea.
    Lord Sky, Chafe, Aurelian and 2 others like this.
  3. Labeler

Labeler Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

i kinda support this but i dont know if there is a mechanic that can distinguish an valo exep weapon from a slayer. > i think its either ALL weapons or non.

possible way to go?

the bless of a weapon should be a consumable... when pets die due to wipe or pk, they suffer a "loss". almost neglect-able but still.
    the weappon bless should have (imo) charges... 10 charge bless for example would be X amount of Copper / Plat

then i think of the PVP aspect. repond works agains humans right? so in order to "balance" the damage vs players in pvp the repond could & should be nerfed in PVP (not PVM) in "some degree".

im no pvp expert, but 1 SHOT insta death should be nerfed
    there are some 1 shot insta death mechanics today that shouldnt be possible, yet they are, and worst part, it is nearly impossible to counter those mechanics and they are used all the F* time.
    StarTrakZack likes this.
  4. r3ckon3r

r3ckon3r Well-Known Member

I support the idea. I'm sure there's a way to distinguish a non exceptional iron weapon from a runic.
  5. Earsnot

It doesn’t even need to be a coding thing, page a GM and they could do it for you and take the copper out your account like they do with name changes & characters being moved around your accounts.

Maybe it’s a backlog initially but seriously....how many people playing here right now......just tell everyone to page with their static cords in their home with the weapon they want blessed in a red backpack and a GM can just make their way through that list taking the copper.

I personally think that having a limit on how many blesses it has would be a total waste.
    I’m not losing 100k copper or whatever it is because a tamer Rez kills me 10 times at a shrine or in a Lep cave.Pets don’t have a finite level of bonding if you know what you’re doing and not an idiot. Same as weapons, don’t pay attention to the durability and they’ll become damaged, gotta keep em topped up with smith repair deeds the same way you gotta keep your pet fed while training or it’ll go wild and no longer be bonded.
    (Limited knowledge of how that works so correct me if I’m wrong)

Pets in PVP has, and will always be the lamest thing and the quickest way to confirm to me that you are a giant pussycake. So if you’re banning blessed weapons for PVP you best also be banning pets in PvP. At least with a dexer they’re within range and not 12 of them like a mare pack.
    r3ckon3r likes this.
  6. Kiryana

Kiryana Well-Known Member

Well, you just go play a dexer, brave, brave and real, who risks not only his life, but also armor and weapons in his hands.

And with god mode, any jerk can hunt without the risk of losing a weapon.

Not to mention the fact that this is entertainment for the rich who want to become even more invulnerable ... And ordinary guys with good weapons, how can they ...

I'm not even talking about stealing because there are no thieves on the server. But IMHO, let's completely disable loot ...
    Sayer and Earsnot like this.
  7. Earsnot

@Kiryana I apologise, because I didn’t even consider the thief nerf that this would inevitably bring.
    Sayer and Kiryana like this.
  8. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Based on my understanding of weapon tags you could do this the following way:

If weapon damage = vanq level, then bless = false
    If weapon craft = exceptional level, then bless = false
    else, then bless = true

This simple check would allow you to bless any weapon, slayer or not that doesn't have vanq or exceptional tags. Players could bless power slayers at a great cost of some type.
    While I would really like to see something like this balanced change happen, I know Telamon has never been a fan of the blessed weapons idea. And on the topic, I would also like to see archery changes, parry changes, and more to round out dexxer builds. :)
    Zero, Sayer and Blendax like this.
  9. Arcanias

Arcanias Well-Known Member

@Kiryana this would only affect thieves slightly as most people (smart people) don’t bring their high end slayers out anyway unless it’s in a trammel instance. Plus if the copper cost were high enough, not everyone will be able to afford these nor waste a bless deed on a lower end slayer. These should be end game goals, but I do understand your concern and point of view.
    Kiryana likes this.
  10. Blendax

Blendax Well-Known Member

Yeah, this would be nice. I know that I tend to buy might slayers for dungeons, just for the fact that I can't afford to lose anything high end.

As it's been said .. would strongly affect thieving. Of course, how often does a thief actually gank a vanq slayer ?

Remember that brief period where a coding error created the green blessed maces? I would have loved to see that in the wild.. even if only for a day. I had one, but I didn't have a macer at the time :).
    Kiryana likes this.
  11. Kiryana

Kiryana Well-Known Member

I have long since retired from hunting with dragons because I got bored ...

For the last year I have been hunting with dexers and have 5 high quality weapons. On the one hand, I would be glad to have insurance for these guns ... On the other hand, I would stop being careful and prudent, I would stop inventing traps for the Reds and emergency evacuation methods, I would stop being afraid and stop progressing in my actions.

UO is full loot and a sense of danger on the small screen. UO is when you feel your heart beating ... Whenever I manage to steal silver from a graveyard or an assassin in a dungeon, I stop and give myself a breath in the real world. Because I have a fast heart rate and real experiences.

I once played on the same server where item insurance was introduced. It killed the feeling of fear, apprehension, warning. This broke my interest and my profession.

I vote against, not because I'm a thief, but only because the real UO is full loot, and these are adventures that tickle your nerves damn cool. This is one of the pillars of this great game.

Thanks for your understanding anyway guys!

In this context, I'm glad Chris is short on time. :)
  12. Blendax

Blendax Well-Known Member

Steady Mobbin and Kiryana like this.
  13. midgetbob

midgetbob Well-Known Member

Bit torn about it...

On one hand, seeing more dexers out and about farming would be awesome. It's sorely missing on this shard vs what happened in the height of UO. There were tons of people out with their silver weapons farming deceit, and plenty more farming other areas (I remember plenty of Vanq users in Shame blazing through level 1 etc).

However, with 3 accounts and the ease to do things now (we're all more knowledgeable about how to train skills faster than we were in '98), it's super easy to get up tamers and provo mages.

The opposite, and more significant, is there is a glut of magic weapons on the server and no economy to support them. Hell, I CUB any vanqs that I won't use; and I only keep 1 or 2 spares for those that I do use. Going out and using a vanq isn't going to set you back but 5 minutes of farming with your tamer, so why not use the chests upon chests of magic weapons stashed away? Worse case scenario, you run out and there is now a market for the magic weapons.

I think this is because many still have the mentality of classic UO servers where they were rare, hard to find, and valuable. They're not now (except super slayers -- but as already stated, many people only use them instanced anyways).

If implemented, I do think there should be a limit and cost. Having your +25 Vanq Slayer God weapon blessed forever shouldn't be viable... especially since (as already stated) we have perma blessed versions in dragons and everyone has a tamer.
  14. Carm

Carm Active Member

It's a good idea but it'll just turn into the dungeon event from the other week; dexxers will want to farm and spawns will be camped by tamers triple-boxxing. Personally I think if you want to play a dexxer play a dexxer, just be aware of what you can lose and make decisions based on that. Realistically people pay huge sums of money for weapons that (for the most part) are used in areas that have little to no risk of losing said weapon. I'll say I keep almost all vanq/power weapons that are useable for my dexxers because they are so plentiful; if I lose them I can always get more. Super slayers on the other hand...
    Kiryana and FisuUO:R like this.
  15. SativaGreen

SativaGreen Well-Known Member

If you want to use a dexxer for PvP the faction system already allows you to bless runic exceptional weapons.

This system is built in already. People just dont use it.

A runs around with temporary blessed verite weapons on their red dexxers, for example.

Want blessed weapons? Buy runic hammers and push factions. You can bless as many as you want.
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    Lord Sky, Sayer and Kiryana like this.
  16. NCCML

NCCML Well-Known Member

This is true, but the problem there is that the bless is temporary. To me, this is along the same lines as what Earsnot said about the idea to have charges. I personally wouldn't waste charges of a high end runic on a temporary bless, factions or anything else. The cost of a high end runic is too high for a what? 2 week bless? 2 weeks flies by, especially when you can barely log in for more than an hour or so in a day, if even that.
    Kiryana likes this.
  17. Nusir

Nusir Well-Known Member

I would love to be able to bless some of my perfect slayers.
    I wont risk taking these bad boys out, turn up at LL with a perfect silver kryss or katana and get PK'ed, no ta.

would make dungeons a lot more fun, with a lot less dragons (unless its a hybrid tamer?)
    Aurelian likes this.
  18. Holden

Holden Well-Known Member

WTB bond slots!

Still love whoever's idea it was to make it a quest like the taming quest. Could be so fun, kill x amount of y monsters and 3 random boss mobs. All on the same char must be a dexxer.
    StarTrakZack likes this.
  19. SativaGreen

SativaGreen Well-Known Member

Maybe a better fix for it would be adding 'item bless deed' to faction instead of having to use a charge itself?
  20. Malachi

Malachi Member

Absolutely not. Additionally, put statloss respawn timers on bonded dragons.

My only compromise would be if the weapons are protected with limited charges so long as a player is killed by spawn, but the weapon must remain up for grabs with the thiefing skill or if the wielder is killed by a player.
    Kiryana and SativaGreen like this.