Making macer guy need help

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Mike Oxwells, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Mike Oxwells

Mike Oxwells Active Member

I am making macer guy and I want to do

GM Tact
    GM Anat
    GM Healer
    GM Macer
    GM Resist
    GM Provoke
    GM Music

Is this enough music skills to kill stuff in Dungeon or do I need other music skills?
    Dorian Andrael and Holden like this.
  2. Surfrats

Surfrats Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Thats the standard provo dexxer template. You will do just fine as long as you arent hunting single spawn monsters.
  3. Mike Oxwells

OK. If i do want to fight single monster I need other music skills?

I do not understand barding in this game 8(
  4. Surfrats

Surfrats Active Member

Provo needs 2 monsters to work. Disco is good for single target, but you would then need to drop resist to fit. If you dont plan on attacking magic monsters this could be OK.

Barding in UO has always been the easiest way to make money. Provo needs two mobs (any 2 mobs), while peace and disco can be good for single target killing.

What do you plan to hunt? What is your goal for this char?
  5. Mike Oxwells

Id like to be able to go to shame or some place and go all through the dungeon because I never explore the dungeons.
  6. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Well-Known Member

Personally I would advise you to drop resist for 30 magery and then 70 something else, maybe hiding.

Reason being, with no Magery you're going to be relying on your other characters to gate you into spots and unable to escape quickly if a Red shows up.

You shouldn't miss resist too much as the benefit of Provo is that the spawn will be fighting/casting on each other and not you.

Other than that - good farming build!
    Dorian Andrael likes this.
  7. Talon Karde

Talon Karde Well-Known Member

As Sheepdog said.

I’ve never found resist to be worthwhile on a template with Provo. Stuff shouldn’t ever be casting on you. If it is, provo better!
  8. Twister

Twister Well-Known Member

Provocation allows you to provoke monsters against each other, steering them away from attacking you.
    So it works as long as there is more than one provocable monster around (some boss monsters can't be provoked at all). And it works better if monsters are of comparable strength, so one does not kill the other withing a second.

Killing single-standing monsters with a dexxer is harder, it usually requires some "tanking" (taking damage from a monster).
    Peacemaking allows you to send a monster into "sleep" for some period. You can hit it a few times (how many? this depends on a monster type and random number generator), then it will be awake again and attacking you. If you're lucky, your skill cooldown after using peceamaking (~10 seconds) will be up again so you'll be able to peace it again. And again... until you kill it. If you aren't lucky and you are on cooldown when it wakes up OR your peacemaking attempt fails, you'll take damage. The result depends on monster type, your armor, skills, healing, etc...

Last, but not least, discordance (called enticement on the skill scroll) allows you to lower monster's stats and skills by 20%, so it has less hp and deals less dmg. It also lowers their barding difficulty, so they become easier to peace or provoke.

To summarize: a provo-dexxer (the exact template you've mentioned in OP post) is an OK farming template for new players because it does not require expensive slayer weapon (monsters kill each other). A peacemaking dexxer relies on you to deal ALL dmg to monsters, which means having a slayer is almost a requirement (which is expensive to buy and sad to lose to a PK, and you have 0 PK protection with these templates since you have 0 magery and no reliable recall). A disco-dexxer is an exotic choice, not sure what would be the use for that template without provocation or peace.

BUT there is an elephant in the room - 0 magery. With 0 magery you don't have any PK protection AND it's a pain in the ass to navigate dungeons. Your recall works 1 out of 10 times and you don't have access to mark spell. Plus, even with a provo-dexxer your equip (armor and weapon) matters, and it's sad to lose it.

So I'd highly recommend you to go bard-mage instead or at least drop your resist to 70 and get 30 magery for recall.
    Bard-mage:
    1. Music
    2. Peace
    3. Provo
    4. Disco
    5. Magery
    6. Meditation
    7. Resist / Evaluate Intelligence

This is an amazing template for dungeon exploration as it allows you to tackle the strongest monsters in the game solo. It does not require any expensive equip (for most monsters a GM-made instrument is enough, but even slayers are cheap compared to weapons), allows you to mark & recall. When two provoked monsters are fighting, one kills another, and you have no one to provoke it onto, you can peace it to gain time and wait for respawn. This is very useful when hunting super strong monsters like balrons. Discordance allows you to lower barding difficulty of monsters which allows you to provoke some of the strongest mobs not provocable otherwise. Another nice bonus is that having all 3 barding skills maximizes damage from fire horns (@wylwrk said today that he was able to ironman xmas scrolls with this template, which is pretty crazy and makes this template even more versatile). You can kill single-standing targets with summons (Energy Vortex / Blade Spirits / Daemon) but only if they aren't casting dispel. The ones that cast dispel are going to be a struggle for this template, but they are pretty rare, and you usually you can pull them to other monsters and provoke.
    gitchu1000 likes this.
  9. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

no no no hahahahah

that was a joke guys, a joke!
  10. Twister

Really? I'm still determined to give it a try on my last scroll :D
  11. Mike Oxwells

Hmm. It really seems as tho dexer martial weapon person does not do too good in this game. My husband has barely played since he gm Lumberjack and Im trying to find a template that works for fighters to get him to play again. He literally made my tamer and handed the game off to me and hasnt been back.

8(
  12. Talon Karde

Provo Dexxers are amazing. They do just fine in this game. And they are THE template for the end game content(xmas scrolls, Level 7 Tmaps, AMIBs, Halloween Events, etc).
  13. Twister

Right, but not for general dungeon hunt IMHO.
  14. Mike Oxwells

Dont want to do treasure hunts or scroll type stuff because he doesnt have much time but Id like to run through some dungeon with him. Its ok Ill just have him bring his lumberjacker with my 2 dragons and mare.
  15. Mike Oxwells

Crap cant do that he made on same account. Ill just make the macer with parry maybe.
  16. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

edit: I derailed another thread

-20 demerits (self imposed)
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  17. Nusir

Nusir Well-Known Member

I have a Peace Dexxer;
    fence
    tacts
    anat
    heal
    music
    magery
    peacemaking*

*you can easily replace peace for provo, and I recommend going for magery over resist because if you can play this template well enough you shouldn't need resist and when you are hit, you have healing.

I see the barding skill with this template as such:

Peacemaking is good for solo monsters

Provo for groups of 2 or more

and Disco I would say its an accompaniment skill where you only lower the stats of the mob, meaning they hit for less and in the best cases they are unable to cast high level spells. (group when a pet is beating the mob or you have a great weapon to bash it with.
  18. Cheapsuit

Cheapsuit Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I think you will find that dropping resist to 70 and getting at least 30 magery will pay huge in the end.
  19. Talon Karde

Dexxers are still by far the best dps template out there and will kill mobs faster than any other template. And if she has a dragon to tank mobs?

Grab a slayer for whatever dungeon you are hunting.. and you will tear it up.