Making Spirit Speak more usefull

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Spooner, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Spooner

Spooner Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I'm proposing that by using the Spirit Speak skill, you have a chance of revealing any ghosts near you.

Just think it would make the skill more useful. Not sure how hard or worthwhile it would be to implement this.

Thoughts?
  2. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  3. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of finishing Ultima Online. What I mean by that is -- making it fully functional. For example, I think all skills should be useful in some way. Taste ID, Forensic Eval, etc.

I know some will say well -- they do what they do but you can't tell me the way those skills function now is how Richard Garriot would have wanted it.

I think this is a fine idea. Don't like ghost stalkers in your house? GM Spirit Speak. :D

You could also do more with it if you wanted. Add some bonus to casting resurrect perhaps? A bonus fighting undead?

Edit: Just as I hit post I thought... what if when you're spirit speaked undead won't agro on you? This would be useful in a few ways plus it would aid role-playing for those evil undead folks and people like that old famous pk Adam Ant who want to roleplay defending the liches or some such thing.
  4. Gideon Jura

5. Spooner

Spooner Active Member

This is far more than anything I had thought of and they all sound great.
  6. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member

Uhm, how about it lets you talk to the dead? Seems pretty cut and dry with no bonus needed. And the ghosting thing sound good, but when you think of the different ways it's handy to have a ghost somewhere unobserved, it's prob for the best not to let people see them.
  7. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

So of course there should be no way to counter it?
  8. Jack of Shadows

There never has been to my knowledge, and doesn't really need to be
  9. Gideon Jura

10. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member

^^^ Begging & TasteID, lol. I wonder who that is.

I like the bonus to Resurrection idea. Very similar to the Poisoning & Inscription bonuses. The bonus could even apply to bandage-resurrection, for those that really want a specialized healer.

Trammel idea:
    GM Spirit Speak enables players to find NPC ghosts scattered throughout the world, that are invisible to normal players. If a player finds a ghost and revives them, they reward the player. Tracking could perhaps work in conjunction with Spirit Speak to track these NPC ghosts. As a humorous idea (and I have no idea if this is in any way even possible), part of the reward loot would actually be items from decayed player corpses. Would be hilarious to get someone's old runebook from ages past that they lost in the pits of Destard and couldn't retrieve in time.
  11. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Renaissance Staff

This is already achievable by means of the Compassion virtue. Each level obtained in Compassion will yield the ability to resurrect a player with 20%/40%/80% hit-points upon resurrection, respectively.
  12. Spooner

Spooner Active Member

Yes but I think in this instance, it would grant a bonus in your attempt to successfully resurrect someone.
  13. Jack of Shadows

so 23 people gmd it, what's your point? that many people were fine with how it works now?
  14. Gideon Jura

15. Jack of Shadows

am I derp or are the 23 people derp? We have 7 gm cartographers, why are there 23 people with gm spirit speak?
  16. Jack of Shadows

like seriously, it blows my mind lol. (still don't don't think people should be able to see tabbed out ghosts)
  17. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

People AFK Spirit Speak for stats, derp.

The only reason anyone would support ghosting is for nefarious means. I feel all ghosts should be visible so as not to facilitate multi-account abuse. You want to find people or see what's going on in a dungeon, go there and/or use Tracking. I think any ghost left idle for too long in a dungeon should be teleported to a healer in a any given town.
    Much of that is too Trammel for those who have been abusing mechanics for ill gotten gains for over a decade. Just because it has been a certain way for ever does not even remotely imply perfection (reminder: the goal here is perfection). I can't see why Jack of all people would even consider supporting ghosting locations. You're one of the most experienced tracking thieves I've ever played with. I would think you feel ashamed for not saying that people should be stealthing dungeons, not ghosting them.

I think giving a true benefit to Spirit Speak, aside from the completely unused outside of RP benefit of 'hearing the dead', is a good idea, however low priority. Having a party member who's sacrificed a skill slot to see ghosts in the area could be highly beneficial. I think bonuses to Resurrection (for example %100 success with with a combination of GM Healing/SS or GM Magery/SS, respectively) and the effect of undead immunity (perhaps a 60s duration on use) would be really cool to test out in the very least. In the best, allow visibility of all ghosts regardless of manifestation, with the use of Spirit Speak.
  18. Jack of Shadows

derp your own butthole derpking. I use ghosting to watch idocs, since hiding is busted while using a tamer, I use a ghost to watch my tames for boss spawns, I use it to stalk pks so I know which blues to murder (ok that is kind of nefarious) and a few other things. Mostly if someone is being a doucher and gating in to pk me and they open a gate back home, I can ghost the house and if the table wall isn't secure, then sweet revenge. I've also seen people use it to spy for factions and guild wars. Using a ghost for advantage is a classic part of UO, even though on SA it was just mainly used to block housing and as a pk cam.
  19. Gideon Jura

20. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Exactly. Nothing Jack mentioned required ghosting except the nefarious monitoring parts. You can easily hide/stealth for IDOCs. If Hiding is busted for Tamers, sounds like it should be a bug report and fixed in time. lol I can see a fix being good there, but really, there is no valid reason to allow ghosting without any functional countermeasure.