Melee only dungeon?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Milky Milkerson, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Milky Milkerson

Milky Milkerson Active Member

There are lots of dungeons and at least a few that are barely used. What if one of them could be appropriated for dexers? Make it so no magic will work there, including recall. The only way to get in is to walk through the front door.

Mages have their own dungeon. Why can't dexers?

How about Covetous - does anybody go there?

Or maybe a new dungeon could be designed but that might be a lot more programming.
    Lumbo, Dalavar, One and 2 others like this.
  2. AlexCCCP

AlexCCCP Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I think many of our dungeons are under utilized there is too much junky spawn that is more a hassle than anything else.

I think we should have more worthwhile spawns to expand the list of hotspots. A melee dungeon is interesting but I don't think the idea such a severe restriction will get much traction, there is no mages only dungeon.

As for Coveteous its def a hot spot as it has an Elder Gazer spawn, a Lich spawn and Harpy boss spawn on the top floor. However yeah most of Coveteous is just annoying to traverse.
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  3. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Well-Known Member

Wind is mages only. You get liches and dragons there.

I've always wanted to see a walk in walk out dungeon but the problem would be PK groups camping the exit. Not that there's anything wrong with pks but I think people would avoid it as overladen dexxers Would get destroyed as they exited.

Maybe recall is the only spell you can use in the dungeon?

Most dexxers don't have wrestling so if they were to try and recall out during an attack, it would be way harder.
    One likes this.
  4. AlexCCCP

AlexCCCP Well-Known Member

Well I can melee in wind though if I have enough Magery to get in, so not really same as making a dungeon with 0 spells. Perhaps a dungeon that needs a GM melee skill to enter?
  5. TreeHugger

Or under 50 magery?
  6. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    TreeHugger likes this.
  7. TreeHugger

Yup!
    One likes this.
  8. One

One Well-Known Member

9. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

I always considered the aMiB's to be 'Melee Only' if you are aiming for the ironman awards, the only other template that can match it is a tamer/dexxer.
  10. Milky Milkerson

Milky Milkerson Active Member

This is true but it would be nice to have something in felucca for dexers too.
    One likes this.
  11. One

One Well-Known Member

12. Bayara

Bayara Well-Known Member

One, you just won this thread and my heart.
    Excellent ideas there!
    One likes this.
  13. One

One Well-Known Member

14. Erza Scarlet

Erza Scarlet Well-Known Member

I like that idea... i could imagine a progressive dungeon with increasing difficulty / risks to take.
    One likes this.
  15. One

One Well-Known Member

16. Bogugh

Bogugh Well-Known Member

I don't think Covetous is the best choice. Zoning it off would be annoying and there are Harrower spawns in Covetous. There are also dragons and drakes there, but that isn't a big deal.

Instead, I'd suggest the orc caves. It fits the lore and no one goes there anyway. Years ago I put some work into a staff approved idea to create some new orc themed content there. The design included a champion altar in the room at the end (but no skulls, like Cupid). Unfortunately nothing ever happened and Ludkrud, the person who came up with the idea, no longer plays.
    Dalavar and One like this.
  17. Kalvasflam

Kalvasflam Active Member

Pls no changes to Covetous! I used to farm feathers there and I probably will, as soon as get my crafter up.

Additionally, one could think of making the existing dungeons more attractive. Perhaps by increasing drop rate of certain items, or the amount of items. OSI did this at one point to give players more incentive to use felucca dungeons instead of their trammel counterpart. So, dunno, if harpys outside drop 10 feathers, change that to 20 in dungeons. Or Perhaps put ressources to the loot table, so that theres a reasonable chance that - for example - an earth elly drops verite/valorite stone etc.

Other than that, I like the idea of a melee dungeon.
  18. Alex Caember

Alex Caember Well-Known Member

I had just come up with an idea for a new dungeon before this thread popped up. It is a new, large single-level expanse (the area exists in game already, but not accessible at present, would just need a little more decor and, of course, monster spawns). My idea was to have it be a dungeon a bit similar to Khaldun in the sense that you can not recall in or out of it. You would need to walk in and out. I was thinking of theming it after the Underworld lore of past Ultimas, and it would be a high-end dungeon with tough baddies like balrons and demons, maybe an ancient wyrm spawn (there is a nice little island that would be appropriate), and spawns of a more moderate nature.

Due to its size and nature, I was thinking that it would have multiple entrances, each at the bottom of an existing dungeon (Shame, Wrong, and Despise were my initial picks). This would help alleviate the "entrance camping" scenario someone mentioned (though this isn't an issue with Khaldun either). I was also thinking that it would be neat if a couple of new spawning rares were found in this place - something for rares hunters to go spelunking for since you can't just recall around to them. Throw in some mild-moderate puzzles and useful treasure chests and bam, got a great new spot that doesn't discriminate really against any player types since it is not preventing anyone from entering.
    Kiryana, One and PaddyOBrien like this.
  19. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

That would be excellent!
  20. Vandalin

Vandalin Well-Known Member

Cool ideas but I wouldn't like to see limitations made to currently existing dungeons. I would prefer to see this done in a new dungeon, or improvements made in existing dungeons (improve spawn / fix dead zones etc).

I think there's an old thread somewhere by @Lightshade regarding new spawn suggestions for T2A, for example, which I think should get some serious consideration.

I do like Milky's idea, but in a new purpose-built dungeon as some sort of challenge. This would take a lot of work, which (for now) is why I think regular spawn improvements would be a better option.
    Lightshade, PaddyOBrien and Fullmetal like this.