Mining

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Mutombo, Jul 9, 2013.

What are the player's opinons on Mining of grass tiles?

1. Allow miners to mine grass tiles AND receive full yield from the tiles (RUN UO DEFAULT)

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Allow miners to mine grass tiles BUT receive reduced yield from the tiles

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. Do not allow miners to mine grass tiles (PATCH 40 CHANGE)

12 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. Mutombo

Mutombo Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Patch 40 on Mining:

-Removed a variety of grass tiles from the valid mining targets as they should not be providing ore when mined.
    -These tiles were confirmed to provide no mine-able metal in the UO Demo.
    -Note: They may return in the future as an ore providing location but they will be scaled to the spot/tile type.

I vaguely recall being able mine those during UOR at some point and receive the full amount of ore from those veins as any other vein.

HOWEVER lets say Chris is right and you couldn't mine them in UOR

This shard is NOT a STRICTLY UOR accurate shard. We have adjusted some things here and there to make play more enjoyable.

I personally found mining the said "grass tile" spots as enjoyable. I don't personally see why they should be 1) unminable or 2) should yeild less ore than other vein. The point of playing this game is to have fun. I do not personally see why there is ANY reason to limit mining in such a way??? I simply do not understand. Just let the people mine and have fun! Why do we have to constantly limit everything? And of all things limiting mining? Its boring already, and we have anti afk checks keeping everyone honest, so why not let the miners have their grass tiles at full yield?

Thats Mutombo's opinion. Though my opinion rarely counts for anything here.
  2. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Voted for option #2. Got no problem with mining grassy areas, but the best mining spots should probably be in actual mines. Risk vs. reward and all that (though its not like mining is very risky anyways).
  3. Mutombo

Mutombo Active Member

Mining in woods is more risky than in mines. Stuff actually spawns in the woods..... plus its a billion times harder to find veins in the woods. Plus the spots are spread out more so its more difficult to mine in the woods.... sorry I'm failing to see your risk/reward concept.

mining in caves = easy

mining in woods = harder
  4. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

While you're at it, make the ore come out in ingot form.
  5. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Mine mountains and caves as logic would dictate.

If we can mine grassy areas, I want the ability to dig up treasure chests with a pickaxe too.
  6. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member

Then why do you want to do it?
  7. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

My recollection of this era is that you could use a target relative location macro to mine in the grass but it would often have no ore or little ore. It seems like occasionally a spot would have a normal amount of ore too. I have no problem with that.
  8. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

If you're recalling to the exact spot, there's little to no risk involved at all. In fact, far less than an actual mining region, considering PKs aren't roaming the woods looking for miners to kill who are mining lumps in the grass.
  9. Tater Salad

Tater Salad Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

My question is why? Clearly when there are more important things to work on, was mining small random turds turned into a big thing. So people mined bumps, got the same or as they would for a different spot. whoooo caaarrreeeessss. Can we please work on something else with a little meaning.
  10. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

It doesn't make sense to have a single ore-bearing tile in the middle of nowhere produce as much ore as a cave covered in ore tiles.

Finding these magic tiles is simply a matter of replacing the graphics to highlight those particular tiles---not exactly rocket science.

The bigger issue is mountainsides. Prior to the patch mountainsides were difficult, now they are nearly impossible; this is sure to get fixed.
  11. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  12. Ciet

Ciet Active Member

I feel like this suggestion is an Easy Button.
  13. Mutombo

Mutombo Active Member

thats exactly what we are talkinga bout gideon

these are random rock tiles in the woods
  14. Rokk

Rokk Member

If you mine for your income, this effects you greatly, if not, it doesn't.

I liked it the way it was, since I actually spent tons of time mapping where several different types of ore was located at in various spots all over the globe. It was fun for me to discover the various ore type in various locations. do i need it or rely on it for income, no, but it was alot of fun nonetheless.