Monster Issues on the High Seas

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by SirLanceAlittle, Jan 19, 2013.

1. SirLanceAlittle

SirLanceAlittle Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Several times this past week, I've been out on my ship with my fisherman and my fighter. While out on these "three hour tours," :lol: I've noted a few problems. Now, I have not sailed all the seas yet, but I have sailed the waters from Skara Brae to Britain and much of the waters between Serpent's Hold and Deceit. I have found these waters to be surprisingly void of creatures. The creatures I do encounter yield very little loot. Here are my findings:
    1. When I kill, skin, and loot a Sea Serpent, I only get 45 gold coin, sometimes a special fishing net, 4 Sulferous Ash, 1 raw fish steak, 1 cut of raw ribs, and 10 horned hides.
    2. When I kill, skin, and loot a Deep Sea Serpent, I only get 53-55 gold coin, a special fishing net or a tattered treasure map, 4 Sulferous Ash or 4 Black Pearl, 1 raw fish steak, 1 cut of raw ribs, and 10 horned hides.
    3. I think I have seen one Water Elemental, though I cannot swear to it.
    4. I also have not seen any Dolphins or Walrusses out upon the waters. Now, I may need to spend more time closer to the shores to see these, if they are indeed spawning.

Today (Sat., Jan. 19, 2013) I went back to a former UO server, launched one of my ships, and went hunting.
    It wasn't long before I had found my quarry, and in a matter of about 15-20 minutes, I tracked and killed a Sea Serpent, two Deep Sea Serpents, and a Water Elemental.
    I also passed at least two Dolphins on my way from, and back to, Trinsic.
    All this occured East of Trinsic between 65* and 70* E.
    I killed, skinned, and looted the Sea Serpent and got 262 gold coin, 4 Sulferous Ash, 7 raw fish steak, and 10 piles of hides.
    From the first Deep Sea Serpent, I got 500 gold coin, 4 Sulferous Ash, 10 raw fish steak, and 20 piles of hides.
    From the second Deep Sea Serpent, I got 505 gold coin, a Ruby, a Crystal Ball, 4 Black Pearl, 10 raw fish steak, and 20 piles of hides.
    And from the Water Elemental, I got 272 gold coin.

I hope this is helpful.
    It was very traumatic for me to make that trip back in time.
    I am very glad to be back home. ;)
  2. Zagyg

Zagyg Active Member
    UO:R Donor

If I may help out a little, Lance (and for the record, no one owns the rights to any given subject so don't worry about "stepping on my toes" :) ) - since they're trying to stay pretty honest to Renaissance era here, the best resources of information would be either an active or archived webpage from this era. My personal favorite is http://archive.org/index.php - just enter a popular Ultima site like uo.stratics.com or others and take a trip back in time. After that of course comes Google searching and poring over lists of sites containing your search terms.

If you check out the pages on the Deep Sea Serpent -

uo.stratics.com/hunters/deepserp.shtml

or

uo.stratics.com/hunters/deepseaserpent.shtml

or

uo.stratics.com/database/view.php?db_content=hunters&id=379

- you'll see that it is only in recent years that the Deep Sea Serpent was shown to have any loot other than the MIB/tmap/special fishing net or any carved loot other than a fish steak or raw ribs. They don't even appear to have produced horned hides until some time in 2003. So I'd say that the current loot tables for these creatures was based off of modern Stratics and is actually much more favorable than the era-accurate loot.

P.S. If that other server is what I think it is, they're often not even accurate to their own era let alone this one. IMO their system is a fine starting point for research but not a great endpoint.
  3. DarkWing

DarkWing Senior Counselor
    Senior Counselor

i do believe the Loot on the Serpents are correct,
    however. the seas on UOR are Void of Life!
    the only time you will find Serpents, Deep Sea Serpents, Water Ellies or Krakens, is if they are left behind by a fellow Fisherman.
    i have not seen 1 random spawn!
    i know it is on their list to address this. i just wish it was higher on the list,
    as i stated in an earlier Post! it is hard to stay attentive to your fisherman when there is NOTHING happening,(damn adhd)
    one of the reasons i believe they need to turn off the AFK Fishing System, until they address the Monster Spawn Issue!!

we need higher Risks for our Fishing Rewards,

make it challenging guys!
  4. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Renaissance Staff

This was actually done in the Beta, but the spawning method was not as proper as I had intended it to be, so it was deconstructed & the proper spawning method fell behind other issues with higher priority. Thanks for the reminder, global ocean spawning should take place by the end of today.
  5. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

Regardless of era accuracy, adding more cannon fodder is a bad idea. The last thing we need to do is to turn deep water into another newbie dungeon.

The fishing skill is mainly used by veteran players. It takes a good bit of gold to buy a boat and a lot of hours of macroing before the skill has the slightest chance to produce anything valuable. Nobody is earning mass loot off serps--even if there were tons of them. The sole purpose of fishing is mining MIBs.

Adding random spawn that has no chance of producing a MIB just adds clutter and makes a marginally profitable skill even less useful. Any decorative spawn should be confined to areas near shore so as not to interfere with more productive fishing.
  6. SirLanceAlittle

SirLanceAlittle Member

Thank you Ezekiel, you're my hero today.
  7. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

The spawn should be very minimal giving the amount of space available, its more about adding life to the world, than monsters to farm.

The recent patch will cause any orphaned monsters to respawn/despawn after 3 days anyway if they are fished up and not killed.
  8. SirLanceAlittle

SirLanceAlittle Member

Does that mean we are NOT going to see the random spawns of such creatures as Water Elementals or Krakens?
    Will these only spawn when a chest is fished-up by a GM Fisherman?

Does that mean that the only creatures we happen to encounter, other than those we fish-up ourself, will be those not killed after being fished-up by someone else up to 3 days prior?

So, does that mean I was a bit too quick naming Ezekiel as my hero??? :?

I Take It Back, I Take It Back!!! Today, Tuesday, January 22, 2013, the seas are alive.
    See me tell of my adventure at The Salty Dog Tavern.
  9. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

You should see elementals, however I think Krakens would be player generated, if there is any information to support their random spawn in the Renaissance era we could look into that.

The orphaned monster check was not interested to deal with fishing leftovers, however it is designed to support Ezekiels efficient spawn design using fewer spawners, to maintain spawn balance throughout the land. (Situations where a large amount of spawn is herded into a certain area, then left)

As for the overworld water spawn, I would expect you should see Dolphins, Deep Sea Serpents, Sea Serpents, Water Elementals, Walrus and more.
  10. DarkWing

Senior Counselor

I know i reported this on IRC,
    but wanted to document it here too.
    Sea Serpents and Deep Sea Serpents do not show up when using the Tracking Skill!
  11. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

I've got this on the fix list Darkwing. Thanks for the report.
  12. SirLanceAlittle

SirLanceAlittle Member

Yup, DarkWing is absolutely correct.
    I erroneously, and quite arrogantly, dismissed his findings a few days ago.
    Even if I had been correct, I was still wrong in how I said it and am very sorry.
  13. DarkWing

Senior Counselor

I am running with GM tracking and only the water Ellies and Krackens show up on tracking, Sea Serpent, Deep Sea Serpents and Dolphins have not shown up for me!
  14. LudKrud

LudKrud Active Member

Thats because they all run the Anti-Duck HAX.......
  15. DarkWing

Senior Counselor

was out fishing again last night ... running GM tracker, Serpent right next to the boat
    and DOESN'T show up on Tracking
    you sure your playing on the Right Server SirLanceAlittle?
  16. SirLanceAlittle

SirLanceAlittle Member

My sincere and humble apologies to you DarkWing.
    It was not my intent, but I was quite arrogant when I posted my correction of your findings.
    I truely am sorry and will in the future not just watch what I say, but also watch HOW I say it.

DarkWing was 100% corrrect. Although my tracker, a mere 95.2, did indeed track both Sea Serpents and Deep Sea Serpents, it was prior to Jan. 21. I distinctly remember taking out a friend to show him that we now had Water Elementals, Krakkens, and even Dolphins on the High Seas here on Renaissance.

It is my beliefe that something happpened, with the fix on Jan 21:

Just about an hour ago, I was out near the Serpent Pillar just South of Skara Brae. My tracking would not show Sea Serpents or Deep Sea Serpents even when they were within 5 to 10 tiles of my ship, and attacking me. Furthermore, when I had 3 Dolphins on the same screen with me, and one was even stuck on the deck of my ship, they would not show up my tracking screen as Animal, Monster, NPC Human, or Human Player.

Now, I cannot state for a fact that Dolphins had been "Trackable" prior to Jan. 21, as I do not remember ever trying to track them. They are so numerouse, I never thought to. But I do know for a 100% fact that I was able to track the serpents just barely over a week ago.