Monsters in UO:R

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Zagyg, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Zagyg

Zagyg Active Member
    UO:R Donor

I only have pre-Trammel experience, so forgive me. I walked out of town with a new character and saw an air elemental come up on All Names. Even though I hadn't attacked (and was in fact trying to get away from it), it lit me up with Paralyze/Curse/Poison all before it was even visible on my screen. Is that the way spell-casting monsters typically work in UO:R?
  2. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member

UOR monsters are actually smart and present a challenge. You cannot walk circles around them. As far as their targeting goes, most monsters target 10 tiles max,and several target up to 12 tiles max. If you cannot see the monster on your screen then you are likely lagging or you have your screen size to small.
  3. Zagyg

Zagyg Active Member

Thanks for replying :) Since I'd like to fix the issue, I have another question. And I've been wondering how to do this for a while anyway - how do I increase the size of my game screen? Maximizing the window only changes the size of the black border around the game screen for me.
  4. HateCrime

Open up razor, click on the "more options tab" and then check the box that says force game size. You can enter whatever size you want to make your UO screen there. THen just log out and back in and it will update. I go with 1200x850.
  5. Gharik

Gharik Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Interesting thing I found out by accident a few months ago... You don't have to log in and out for it to change. All you have to do is going into Options in game (Alt + O) and click apply. You don't have to make any changes in game as long as you've set the forced game size to your desired measurements.... just click apply. Razor will force your screen size to get larger.
  6. Zagyg

Zagyg Active Member

Much thanks amigos ;)
  7. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

I will double check this but the monsters casting range should be exactly the same as a players casting range (10 tiles)

However various monsters have a varying"visibility" range in which they can target a player. For example a dragon can target a player at 12 tiles, but only attack from 10 tiles (breath/magic).
  8. Zagyg

Zagyg Active Member

Thanks but it may very well have been my small screen size that affected it. Since I've changed my screen size to 1000x750 I haven't had any monsters casting on me that I couldn't see. I would ask this though - with magic casting monsters I keep running into situations where they'll be whupping my butt and I try to run away, but they teleport right next to my side two or three times in a row like pro PvPers and finish me off. Are they supposed to be THAT smart and pro?
  9. HateCrime

Yes, however it is possible that lower level magic creatures might be toned down in the future in regards to that situation. Afterall, a noob has to farm somewhere.
  10. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

After looking some of the scripts over I did verify that most, if not all monsters have a visibility range of 10 tiles.

However they do target much quicker here, unlike other servers where they will spot you, have a cup of tea, and write a few emails before engaging you.
  11. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

I have a question about the spawn.. it feels as if it was a shotgun blast of monsters. The spawn is horrible for new players. When you manage to find a clearing in a forest, you are not clear.... you are surrounded. So, is this how it will remain after launch? It is like im the terran vs the zerg swarm.
  12. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Renaissance Staff

Some areas of the map intentionally have a greater amount of spawn, however it should not be as over-crowded as you've stated. If you have a screenshot of the location or generally know the area well enough to describe it so that I may find it, I will address the situation.
  13. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

I ran north towards compassion from britain, that desert is swarming... i never been here so i cant say. but the woods north and straight to minoc moongate had huge walls of monsters. Also all my encounters there seems to be an orc, mongbat, troll, giant spider, ratman in every batch, strange combo. For instance taming on moonglow i would drag this batch to the town for a good guard whackin so i could tame one panther. I just feel they are too packed together.. almost like they congregate.
  14. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Renaissance Staff

Thanks for the specific locations. Verity Isle (moonglow) has become less hostile, this was not intentional. The area surrounding the Minoc moongate was also reduced in hostile spawn.

The Compassion desert was slightly tweaked, but overall this region is spawned with the intended amount.
  15. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Great! Yes, I knew there was a large spawn at the desert but I just imagined if there were houses there, I would not be able to maneuver through them.