Music for "forest" region

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Leopold, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Leopold

Leopold Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

It seems like a lot of effort has gone into getting the music to work correctly in the ClassicUO client. I would like to request some changes that might need to be made server-side. Back on OSI (1998-2001 era that I can recall) when you left a town and went into the forest, some other type of music would play. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it was more than one type, either a random selection of a few "overworld" tracks, or maybe different regions of the world had different songs:

create1.mp3 (I am pretty sure I remember hearing this play outside of town in the forest)
    forest_a.mp3 (not sure about this one)
    oldult02.mp3 (I am pretty sure I remember hearing this play outside of town in the forest)
    oldult05.mp3 (this plays somewhere on UOR, at least when you first open the client to log in. I don't know off the top of my head if it plays in-game)
    oldult06.mp3 (maybe)

I don't know about swamp, mountain, jungle, plains. Maybe others do.

As of right now, if you recall to a town and then leave (or recall to the forest) it keeps playing the same town song. If you toggle into war mode, it will play war music, but then back to peace mode will start the same town song (even if you already left town and are overworld).

The one exception I have found is that if I recall onto the island of Ocllo (outside of town), it plays oldult06.mp3 (this feels era accurate). When you enter town, it plays the Ocllo song. When you leave town, it goes back to oldult06.mp3. It would be nice if the other forest regions behaved similar and used multiple sound files (or a random selection from a few). Can anyone else confirm which songs played in the "forest region" back on OSI?

I just started thinking more about this, so I will pay more attention to the music behavior as I play more.
    Hydrox and PaddyOBrien like this.
  2. Einar

Einar Well-Known Member

i have to turn off the music because the war music sucks so hard.
    i wish there was a toggle for war music
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  3. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    Einar likes this.
  4. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    Leopold likes this.
  5. Buga

Buga Well-Known Member

More here: http://uorforum.com/threads/ultima-online-ambient-sounds.36785/

I also did some research about regions, but that must be setup server side:

This should be the code needed to play "lbcastle" when you cross the Lord British castle's gate.

Code:
    <region priority="50" name="Lord British's Castle">
        <rect x="1296" y="1560" width="110" height="134" />
        <music name="lbcastle" />
    </region>
    I had a chat with Quick about this, he also remember Tavern's playing music when you walk inside.

This "Music patch" would be awesome, a nice nostalgic addition for era accuracy.

Count me for testing or research.

Additional info: As a side note we make use of client 5.0.8.3 but it does not really belongs to the Renaissance era. This is a newer client that was used because compatility/stability with, some sorcery in the middle, the older music from UOR era.

I recenlty saw a change at ClassicUO that will break our music, since we play music from a directory that is not really accurate to 5.0.8.3.

https://github.com/andreakarasho/ClassicUO/pull/1315

Probabbly a little unrelated to the topic, but I wanted to point it out.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    Hydrox and PaddyOBrien like this.
  6. Jessie

Jessie Active Member

Buga you are right that is the correct way to do it, all that needs changing are the various regions and a server reboot to reload the regions so they work correctly when players step into the defined areas. I know from playing a T2A shard that had regions cone correctly there are many wilderness sounds that aren't employed here. The jungle music is pretty spooky, sounds like tribal drums beating :)

Also one other thing I think is that this shard is not really set up for regions correctly. Mark a rune. The location is pulled from the region the rune is marked in. That's why all our runes say "somewhere in Britannia" I found out when I was carving up regions on a server I worked on that the regions have to be defined in x,y format which forces you to make the regions in squares or rectangles. I think this server uses the "Regions in a Box" script too for localized regions, much easier to setup but has limitations.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    Nightwolf and Buga like this.
  7. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

*puts down the shovel* Whew!

So, has there been any progress on this? I miss the classic UO music but it seems it's still messed up here. Constant repeating of songs, no forest or tavern themes. I'd be willing to help define the regions if need be
    Bill likes this.
  8. Leopold

Leopold Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I talked to Telamon about this a while back and it is true that there is some work that needs to be done. Not difficult but a little bit tedious. I wish I had the time to do it because it would make everything so much better. Maybe try getting a hold of him and he can show you what needs to be done.
  9. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

Seems like when I talked to him last about it, he didn't seem too interested. And I think he's been MIA since like early July...

I know it can be done, UOSA had all the music right. Basically it's the rectangular regions that need to be defined for each but outsourcing it to volunteers in the community could do it, but I'm wondering if the region definitions could be found online somewhere.