Mutombo's Rhodesian Guide to Discord

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Mutombo, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Mutombo

Mutombo Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Mutombo's Rhodesian Guide to Discord

Why Train Discordance?

First lets understand what discordance does.

"If successful, your target will lose a percentage of its skills and stats. The percentage lost is dependant on your Discordance skill. For instance, at 50.0 skill, the target loses 10% from all stats and skills; and at 100.0 skill the target loses 20% from all stats and skills. Once the effect wears off, the target's skill and stats will return to normal. (Does not affect player characters.)" (source wikipedia)

Before Discord
    [​IMG]
    After Discord

Discordance weakens all of a monster's skills and stats by 20%. This can make monsters that would normally be very challenging a lot more manageable. Discord also makes monsters easier to provoke. A Shadow Wyrm's barding difficulty before discordance is 130 but after it might be only 110. See below.

[will add demonstrative pictures of animal's stats before and after in near future]

My character's templates with Discord are as follows

Discordance/ Music/ Taming/ Animal Lore/ Veterinary/ Mage/ Med

Discordance/ Provoke/ Music/ Cartography/ Lockpicking/ Magery/ Med

Other Possible templates include

Discordance/ Provoke/ Music/ Resist/ Mage/ Med/ Eval <<< Pure Bard very powerful template

Discordance/ Music/ Weapon Skill/ Tactics/ Anatomy/ Healing/ Resist <<< Discord Warrior could be fun template!

Mechanics

Range
    "The base range of all bard abilities is 8 tiles, with each 15 points of skill in the ability being used increasing this range by one tile. Bards must be within this range of the target to use the ability. Furthermore, the bard must remain within this range or the ability's effect ends." (source wikipedia)

Continuation
    "Once Discordance has been used on a target, the bard must remain alive, visible, and within range of the target or the effect ends." (source wikipedia)

Difficulty
    "Discordance uses the same success/failure calcuation formula as Provocation, so training methods are identical in terms of what creatures to discord at what level. " (source wikipedia)

Training Discordance

1. Buy Skill to 30

Discordance is a difficulty based barding skill. That means, in order to train discord you need to find monsters that are within your skill window.

First thing you need to do is buy discordance from a bard. There are bards in Britain and Minoc and probably a few other places I am sure.

2. Scorpions

After buying skill to 30 I trained off Scorpions who have a barding difficulty of 57.

Difficulty of macroing discord is that the effects of discord remain on the creature until you move a sufficient distance away for a period of time, or you go invisible for a period of time.

I solved this problem by using two boats. One boat I filled with scorpions and dropped anchor. The other boat I put my young bard in and had him discord the scorpions one at time.

[​IMG]

To achieve this I actually wrote 10 seperate macros. I am sure there is an easier way but here is the example macro text.

***I highlighted in blue the line that you will have to manually change if you decide to copy paste these macros.***

DiscordScorp1

!Loop
    Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|3741|True
    Assistant.Macros.UseSkillAction|15
    Assistant.Macros.WaitForTargetAction|1
    Assistant.Macros.AbsoluteTargetAction|0|0|32678|1320|2963|-2|92
    Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:01
    Assistant.Macros.IfAction|4|0|already
    Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:02
    Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|0|Play: DiscordScorp2
    Assistant.Macros.ElseAction
    Assistant.Macros.EndIfAction
    Assistant.Macros.IfAction|4|0|jarring
    Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|0|Play: DiscordScorp2

DiscordScorp2

!Loop
    Assistant.Macros.AbsoluteTargetAction|0|0|14699|1321|2961|-2|92
    Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|0|Play: DiscordScorp3
    Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|0|Play: DiscordScorp3

DiscordScorp9

!Loop
    Assistant.Macros.AbsoluteTargetAction|0|0|33837|1321|2962|-2|83
    Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|0|Play: DiscordScorpEnd
    Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|0|Play: DiscordScorpEnd

DiscordScorpEnd

Assistant.Macros.SpeechAction|0|52|3|ENU|2|16|103|turn around
    Assistant.Macros.SpeechAction|0|52|3|ENU|2|16|69|forward
    Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:14
    Assistant.Macros.SpeechAction|0|52|3|ENU|2|16|103|turn around
    Assistant.Macros.SpeechAction|0|52|3|ENU|2|16|69|forward
    Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:13
    Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|0|Play: DiscordScorp1

----------------------------------------------

The macros flow one into the other. You attempt to discord each scorpion until you succeed. When you succeed the macro starts playing the next macro which attempts to discord a different scorpion. You go through each macro and each scorpion until it reaches macro 9 then it feeds into the END macro. That macro turns the boat around drives you away from the scorpions and then turns you back drives you back and then starts at the first macro again.

I highlighted in Blue the lines that you need to look at if you decide to use my macros. You will need to retarget your absolute targets. I used normal tambarines that i bought from a tinker. If you use gm made instruments you will have to change that as well. Finally if you choose to name your macros differently than I did you will need to change the name of the macro names accordingly.

Scorpions will take you to the low 60s

3. Silver Serpents and Ogre Lords

After Scorpions you need to go to Ogre Lords (94 barding difficulty) SIlver Serpents (87 barding difficulty)

See below.

[​IMG]

I used the EXACT SAME MACRO here as I did with the scorpions. I simply retargeted my absolute target lines in the macros.

I used SIlver Serpents and Ogre Lords until 94 skill. You MAY be able to use Ogre Lords to GM but in the interest of speed I used dragons to finish off.

4. Dragons

Wulver (first to GM discord on shard congrats) discovered that discordance is a non aggressive act. So You can discord tamed animals. This means you can train discord on tamed dragons who have a barding difficulty of 110 I think (check my numbers).

[​IMG]

So I used two tamed dragons and simply discorded them. After discording both dragons my character would hide for 16 seconds. Hiding 16 seconds apparently undoes the effect of the discordance and you can discord the dragons again. Below is my macro.

DiscordDrag

!Loop
    Assistant.Macros.ForAction|30
    Assistant.Macros.ForAction|999
    Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|1044075|
    Assistant.Macros.AbsoluteTargetAction|0|0|34952|1614|2113|7|59
    Assistant.Macros.IfAction|4|0|fail
    Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:11
    Assistant.Macros.EndForAction
    Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|0|Play: DiscordDragEnd
    Assistant.Macros.ForAction|999
    Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|1044075|
    Assistant.Macros.AbsoluteTargetAction|0|0|103795|1614|2112|7|12
    Assistant.Macros.IfAction|4|0|fail
    Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|0|Play: DiscordDragEnd
    Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|1044081|
    Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:17
    Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|0|Restock Agent-5
    Assistant.Macros.AbsoluteTargetAction|0|0|1075642141|1615|2113|7|3709
    Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:02.5000000
    Assistant.Macros.LiftTypeAction|2545|2

Assistant.Macros.DropAction|0x8888|(-1, -1, 0)|0
    Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|0|Restock Agent-5
    Assistant.Macros.AbsoluteTargetAction|0|0|1075642141|1615|2113|7|3709
    Assistant.Macros.LiftTypeAction|2545|2

Assistant.Macros.DropAction|0x19573|(-1, -1, 0)|0

DiscordDragEnd

!Loop
    Assistant.Macros.UseSkillAction|21
    Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:17
    Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|0|Play: DiscordDrag

What this macro does is it plays discord until u succeed and then discords the next dragon then repeats 30 times then it restocks 2 pieces of meat from a container and lifts the meat and then drops it on each dragon to keep the dragons tamed.

The first part that loops 30 times Bracketed by the two red lines in the macro discord each dragon 30 times then hides. Things to note. You need to retarget your absolute targets. Targeting each dargon You need to check what kind of instruments you are using. You need to check the names of linked macros

The second part featured in Pink and with green and yellow highlighted line is the part that feeds the dragons. Things to note. You need to retarget your absolute targets.Targeting the container u want to restock from. Check your restock agent and make sure to add two pieces of raw meat, AND to re-record where you drop the meat. I do this by highlighting the line where it says Lift Item type raw meat and right clicking the macro while highlighting that line. After that I choose begin recording here. Then I pick up 2 pieces of raw meat and drop it on the dragon I want to feed. Then I press stop on macro.

The second macro DiscordDragEnd is there as a fail safe. Sometimes the macro might miss the system message "jarring" In that case the macro will look for system message "already" from the message "the creature is already in discord." In that event the macro plays DiscordDragEnd which simply hides you and has you start over from the beginning.

The dragon method should take you GM.

Q: Mutombo the guy I want to train discord on isn't a tamer how am I suppose to use the dragon method then?

A: Easy. You can have someone who has a tamer friend two dragons to you. Once fiended to the dragons you will be able to feed them and thereby keep them from going wild.

Thank you for reading my guide on discord and be sure to check out other Rhodesian guides.

Please post below any additional comments/ questions/ information/ or methodology!
    Baler and Beethoven like this.
  2. frenulum

frenulum Active Member

not sure if I will make a disco dood yet... but nice job on the guide.

I do enjoy detailed guides!

Good Job!
  3. Duffrey

Duffrey Member

Very good guide, thank you Mutombo.
    As discordance has the same training methods as provocation it should be possible to train at moonglow zoo to the high 60s.
    The frost troll there has a barding difficulty of 67.7 (http://uo.stratics.com/database/view.ph ... ers&id=179).
    Or am I wrong with this?
  4. Autolycus

Autolycus New Member

Yes but you will be hiding or running away every time you discord it.Would take a long time doing it that way.
  5. Mutombo

Mutombo Active Member

Duffery that is true. However the Problem with discord is that you have to either HIDE for 16 seconds or go a certain distance away from the creature for about 16 seconds in order for the discordance effects to wear off. I you try to discord again when the effects are still active then you get a system message

"the creature is already in discord"

and you will not get any gains. I started by trying to write a macro for moonglow zoo. The macro involved lots of walking away from the cage in order to get the effects of discord to wear off. It was cumbersome and time consuming. The Boat method however is much quicker and works a lot smoother. You can however use the Dragon/house method all the way to gm. You can do that by having two tamed scorpions in your house and you discord them and then hide. When you reach 60 skill, you can use two wisps in your house and then hide. And then when u are in the mid 80s or low 90s you can use the two dragons as illustrated in my guide.
    MMz likes this.
  6. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Here is how I gm Discord, just a little different guide that can be included (also my build is different but effective):
    Anatomy
    Healing
    Archery
    Tactics
    Music
    Discord
    Item ID (Resist if you want)

30-59 Skill - I bought the skill up from trainer and worked on bulls, then added some Frenzied Ostards:
    [​IMG]

59-79 Skill - Later I looked at difficulties on the site and wisp were up there, and abundant near my home. These almost claimed my life rounding them up so do this carefully :

[​IMG]

These will dissapear around 20 hours in game, so you will have to round up some more:

[​IMG]

When I got near 79 discord I added my nightmare and white wyrm:

[​IMG]

With this character I did not do this constantly, I went out and used it while I was home to test the effectiveness. I also had to feed my pets after I woke up in the morning or after I got home from work. I placed them far away so they would not kill each other, but who cares if I died you know? :p

[​IMG]

Next, I added my 2 dragons since they have the hardest barding difficulty of pets. I positioned them so that they would not kill each other and I could tame them one by one if I had to working from left to right (door blocks sight).

[​IMG]

Then I finally GM the skill:

[​IMG]

A discord fighter would be awesome/fun for support and solo (1v1 dragon?)

GL to all you future demoralizers!
    MMz likes this.
  7. Luminary

Luminary New Member

Has anyone actually used a melee template + discordance in PvM yet effectively? I am interested in the capabilities of such a character but haven't had the opportunity to make one or see it in action yet. I imagine if you were to trade out one of your base skills, for peacemaking, combined together this would be an incredibly powerful template.

Also, seeing as how you are using a technique which breaks discordance in order to continue macroing, I am assuming that you cannot stack the effects of discordance on a single creature here. I know this was possible on OSI at some point, though I do believe this was not the case until after AoS was released. I remember using this technique on balrons to excessively weaken them and lower their resistances (cold/fire/energy, etc) in addition to the normal skill/stat damper.
  8. Mutombo

Mutombo Active Member

No you cannot stack effects unfortunately.

I am seriously considering making a discord/fighter. I believe that template would be a lot of fun.
  9. Vandyke

Vandyke New Member

Mutombo, you stated that Discord made creatures easier to Provo.

Does discord have any affect on making things easier to tame?
    If so, would a tamed creature retain the 20% reduced skills when it became tame, or would the skills revert back to normal tamed stats?

Edit: corrected my sp of your name :?
  10. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Renaissance Staff

Discordance does not lower the minimum taming skill required to tame an animal.

The reason why discordance plays a part in provocation & barding difficulty, is because the difficulty determined for creatures to be influenced by barding abilities is determined by a combination of their skills total & stats total, plugged into a formula with a few other variables. So, while not directly, discordance does indirectly make it easier to apply barding abilities upon a creature which is under discord.
  11. Vandyke

Vandyke New Member

Thanks Ez!
  12. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

13. Cherie

Cherie Active Member

going to play with this....being new to gaming i'm going to try some different ideas i have to gm ....but will use some of your suggestions as well.
    I will let you know how it goes.
  14. Tiax

Tiax New Member

Does discordance have any affect on players and pvp? Could you drop someones skills/stats by 20%?
  15. Ezekiel

Discordance may not be used against players.
  16. Aegis

Aegis Member

contributing to this guide: I've so far worked my way up to 86+ with no boat or dangerous wisps.

From 50 to ~70, use scorpions; tame 7-8, teleport them in a house in one spot, block them there (you can release them). Have another character with higher fame/karma stand very close to them, and attack them in a loop (no one gets damaged). You bard standing further can discord all in a loop, then hide (as the scorpions will be attacking the other character).

From ~70 to ~85 (I have so far reached 93.1 ... but the last few points are quite slow!) I used drakes (tame then, gate them, release them... use a bard with peacemaking to stop them fighthing when the released ones attack the blue ones); then you need a big house I suppose, I have a small keep. I've put the in the nort-west tower back against the wall. My bard is one tile in the main room upstairs, walks 3 steps west, discord them, walks 3 steps back east and hides. Somehow the drakes do not attack him (ie no firebreath damage). When the drakes were in the southern tower, they did attack/firebreath... which was not good :)

Here is the setup:
    [​IMG]
    You still need to hide as it seems behind out of sight is not enough.
    In red is the 3 tiles I walk back and forth, the blue is the direct line of sight.

The macro:

Code:
    !Loop
    Assistant.Macros.UseSkillAction|21
    Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:20
    Assistant.Macros.WalkAction|2
    Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:00.2000000
    Assistant.Macros.WaitForTargetAction|30
    Assistant.Macros.AbsoluteTargetAction|0|0|247250|2587|161|26|60
    Assistant.Macros.AbsoluteTargetAction|0|0|247239|2587|161|26|60
    Assistant.Macros.AbsoluteTargetAction|0|0|247222|2587|161|26|61
    Assistant.Macros.AbsoluteTargetAction|0|0|247276|2587|161|26|61
    Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:00.5000000
    Assistant.Macros.WalkAction|6
    Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:10

Will try with dragons to see if this works too.
  17. Red_Rover

Red_Rover Member

Just wanted to chime in here. At around 70ish (i think), i trapped 4 wisps in my house and macro'd most of the day and all night. I was able to get to 91.2 (91.0 real) just on wisps. I may have been able to get higher, but 3 of them despawned at almost the same time and I didn't feel like rounding some up again.

Hope this helps.
  18. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Just GM'd Disco myself, going this route:
    (NOTE: I had GM Hiding on this character already)

0-30: Train from NPC
    30-55: Moonglow Zoo. Use Discord on Walruses (Walrusi?), Polar Bears, the Harpy, and the Frost Troll. There's usually a crowd of people macroing provocation here already, so hiding shouldn't be a problem. Disco each target and then hide at the end for 18 seconds. This portion took maybe 4 hours. (Walrus only give gains until about 33. Can't start on the Frost Troll until ~35. In order to keep the maximum number of Disco targets going, tinker with your macro targets a bit as you increase in skill.)
    55-93: Wyvern Island. Again, there's usually a crowd of people macroing provocation here already. If not, bring another account to sit on the boat in front of your Discorder to draw Wyvern aggro so that you can hide. Target each Wyvern (should be 5-6 available) and then hide. Put on repeat. This portion took about 18 hours, though I ran out of instruments halfway through, so tough to say exactly.
    93-100: Tamed Dragon in a house. Disco it, if the disco fails, repeat the disco again (I can see John Travolta now). On success, instead hide for 18 seconds and then repeat. Make sure to feed the dragon on occasion (can slip it into the macro pretty easily) or it'll get the crazy eyes and chomp you to bits. This portion took about 5 hours.
  19. Cero

Cero Well-Known Member

maybe im not as macro savvy as i thought, but how the hell do you work in a change in instrument when it breaks? this is my only problem macroing barding skills...
  20. Ezekiel

Adding a line in your macro for "double-click by type (of instrument)" will rectify this problem.