My Mac Client Experience

Discussion in 'Server & Client Support' started by Xavant_BR, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Xavant_BR

Xavant_BR Well-Known Member

Guys Renaissance is UNIQUE in different ways....
    Before come back to play uo after more than a decade, i was thinking about in "what to play". I was looking for a "ultima online kind" game and i almost bought the Legends of Aria or other sandbox game i forgot the name.
    In my mind i would never imagine someone had patched the UO Client/razor for mac.. And before buy Aria, i googled "Ultima Online Mac Client". and BANG! Renaissance name popped up on the screen... And after see the "vintage design" website, the quality of the contend and checking the community activity i decided to download that 2gb .dmg file(a lot for my 250gb notebook filled with photos and .psd files).
    And BANG again, after an easy installation process i was seeing those patterns and, colors and objects on the screen. (tears dropped from my eyes).
    While i was mining and building my first tank to play was perfect... i hadn't not so much hotkeys to press.... razor worked fine for my macros... everything beautiful.
    Then i started the action... first dungeons and group activities... lots of learning and some situations where, by accident i pressed any other key(maybe looking for hotkeys that doesnt existed on that time or maybe just a instinctive act of an desperate animal) and another BANG first client crashes...

I took time to realize that i was pressing the key "command" in the place of "control" and that was making the game enter in FULL SCREEN SIZE. And man, the Wine app(the patcher) is really good, but dont try to simulate a full screen with that windows emulated. I had to reinstall the software a few times because after the crash the client was reopening in full screen size( and how to configure it before open? i didnt find it yet).

So ok... and then came the necessity of having a UOAM, after search in some threads for info i decided to try to instal by myself and BANG... The wine stoped working... And there was me reinstalling the client again...

But ok, if you doesnt have a dog, hunt with a cat. So i saw myself obligated to use the UO POSITION SYSTEM... but yeah i had realize that before: you cant use him opened while you are walking(the mini screen freezes) and every time you open him, you will gonna see your last location, you need to resize his screen to the map change to your positioning.

Then i started to use much more my tamer and seeing all those guys making his triple box and rocking, and also fishers and lots of another different uses for the MULTICLIENT. For my lucky i have an older macbook where i use when i need a healer or a sparring for a macro.

And my history doesnt finish here... now i am having troubles with RAZOR also... sometimes i cant access his window bu the Wine window and move it around the screen... Some targeting aberrations and my need for more hotkeys make me need to use the disable/enable hotkey hotkey. An BANG, someone told me that the new version of razor have a new feature that helps on that too and in many other aspects too... and yeah this got me frustrated.

AND THE LAST DROP was last week i was doing a krampus scroll with my friends and BAAAAAANG the client crashed right when BOSS was on my side! Maaan we only had something like 3 minutes to kill him was not sufficient(we was only two tammers and a dexter at that time and he runs a lot) but dang.. if there was any possibility that crashed fucked up.

Before someone say something... i know that is already information on the forums to configure the UOAM, to make he able to multi client, to make that "update razor" first window go away and make the client start faster and CHRIS AND JIMMY talked to me about it and gave me all attention i asked.. He also told me that he could prepare a improvised patch for me if i want.. But NO!!

I know the shard has another needs, but i want a to encourage them to put on website a new version with simple changes that would make lots of difference for another players that could probably have the same troubles...

I think the mac client is one of the things that makes the shard different and attractive for new incomers.. We are not a relevant share of potential UO Players that maybe the shard want to catch ( in my mind the people who maintain this shard running wants to see more people coming and having fun). But we exist!!! I exist! and if you guys dont want to make another mac users happy, at least you should know that i would be!

Was very hard to write this words! sorry for the bad quality text but english is not my native language and becomes more difficult after i burn some herbs.
    Ubo likes this.
  2. OptimisticSam

OptimisticSam Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Would love to see a new Mac client with the updated Razor on it in the least. I'm still using it from 2.5 years ago. UOAM would be a great bonus. Working music would be the tiptop!

One easy solution to multi-client is to right click the UOR application in the application menu and select "duplicate". Then just launch that one! Boom. Two clients.

In the end, I'm just grateful the client exists at all!
    Xavant_BR likes this.
  3. Labeler

Labeler Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

i sometimes still have client crashes... but not any more than windows users i play with.
    as for the mac client / UOAM ect... i have ZERO problems. (yes moving razor across my screen is dodgy. it jumps all over the place but if you do it slow it works. once on your desired position it will remember where to open it again.

multibox: i dont see the issue here AT ALL. yes you need 3 uoam if you want uoam on all 3 but if your multiboxing, usually just 1 MAP is suffecient.
    like Optic Sam said, duplicate your uor client app (yes the 2 or 3 gb game) and osx will treat them as seperate games (3 clients 3 razors)
    i use 2 test server
    1 for developtment
    1 for testing new stuff (like quicks razor, uoam tweaks ect...)
    and 3 clients for UOR playing itself.
    Screen Shot 2019-02-02 at 10.27.13.png

you have to remember, the game is 20+ years old;.. a crash here & there is to be expected. often at the WORST moment ever..
    on top of that, your are emulating shitdows to run the game... that doesnt make it any more crash proof either.
    Xavant_BR likes this.
  4. Xavant_BR

Xavant_BR Well-Known Member

@Labeler i am runing two clients on this system sometimes... but it dries all my memory ram....
    talking about it i decide to make some art with my client crashes:

But is ok man, i am not getting pissed of with the crashes anymore i started to make art with it.

Captura de Tela 2019-02-28 às 20.55.43.png