Name Change Deed Policy Update

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Chris, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Xegugg

Xegugg Well-Known Member

Wow topic is about the name change policy, let's not to do another let's shit all over about factions and other off topic ideas not related to the post. I think we have seen enough of this.
  2. The Radical Larry

The Radical Larry New Member

The number one requirement of business associates wishing to become a member of my merchant's guild is that they have the name "Radical Larry".

Are you telling me that I should stop selling my wares on this server?
  3. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

This is a terrible change and I am completely against it. Bending over backwards for cry babies is how UO ended up with Trammel in the first place and this is a slippery slope that you are starting down. Reverse course as fast as you can away from this complete and utter nonsense.

This is a freaking game and if someone having the same name is enough to upset someone....then they need to move on in life. I've had my name HEAVILY impersonated going back to the 90's and its lead to all sorts of confusion, but that's just life. Its certainly not worthy of telling everyone else that they can't have the name that I use just because I feel that it's "mine" or by the sake of luck I was the first one to pick it. I feel sorry for all the John Smith's in this country if Big Gov ever chose to take on a similar policy.

This is just absurd.
    Beethoven, Mes and Pork Fried Rice like this.
  4. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

No one is stopping your from doing this. As stated in the original post, there are no restrictions on the names players create themselves.

However name change deeds will now be subject to additional restrictions.

This has nothing to do with a single player or a group of players complaining about another group of players. This has become a management headache and new players have no idea when they start here there are 4-5 groups of players with 10-25 characters all named the same.

Players will still have the option to request an exception to the rule as stated in the original post. Does the situation you mentioned apply to the rules we set forth? Would you want someone else deciding to name all their characters after your character/guild and then abuse the copied name?

Last edited: May 1, 2015
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  5. Pork Fried Rice

Pork Fried Rice Well-Known Member

I encourage all of UOR to use and abuse my name.
    Xegugg and Lightshade like this.
  6. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member

On another server, Hazy used to create "Lightshade" characters so that he could kill "me" and lockdown "Lightshade's" head on his house steps. He'd even go suicide bomb people as "Lightshade". All it ever did is make me laugh.

If someone wants to pick a name for good or evil intentions....or even just random happenstance....they should be allowed to regardless of anything.

That there's an Exception makes it somewhat tolerable for my personal purposes, but it doesn't change that I think this is just terrible all around.
  7. napo

napo Well-Known Member

I believe the primary criticism of the lilililis is that you guys anonymize yourselves by using them. And that it's discouraging to newbies to be killed by seemingly the same guy at all hours of the day.
    We don't use same named characters to PK and we never have. Our nuggets are purely faction characters, you won't ever see us killing blues on them.

And Cynic:
    I can and will make negative comments about PKing. TT has always taken extreme care to make sure that we don't contribute to overhunting in dungeons. The reason we have slowed down recently (and recently is actually more like a year) is that we have felt for some time that there are enough reds out there as it is. We don't kill random people often at all, and when we do we generally res them up and send them on our way. And we don't make repeat runs to the same place over and over.

This is a small server. You can't over hunt dungeons on reds. A group of reds can completely shut down all of the dungeons. We take care to avoid that. In my opinion, some of the other groups of reds on the servers seem to not care about these things.
    Liberation, Kane, Mes and 1 other person like this.
  8. amfeKk

amfeKk Well-Known Member

just use blue alts to release dragons and ww at a resist event... even better *thumbs up*
  9. napo

napo Well-Known Member

Once again, this isn't about coming up with a long list of the bad things other sides have done. It's about the use of same-named characters while doing so.
    The complaints against the same-named characters revolve around the fact that you can't trace the murders back to individuals. The problem is that it's discouraging to new players if seemingly the same person PKs them every time they step into a dungeon.
  10. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

I am starting to think that you are missing the part where I said this restriction does not apply to you making a new character. Only when you spend 100k for a name change deed. It is 1000000x easier and cheaper to make a new guy named Lightshade and collect his head rather than spending 100k, paging for assistance and requesting the change. And I have a log of every character who has changed their name in the last 2 years. And not once has the situation you are so upset about ever happened.

Players either legitimately change their name. Or they change to one of the 10 copycat names.

It is a subtle way for the staff to encourage players to select distinct names, or should you pick a name that 10 other people are currently using and do not want your reputation tied to theirs you may request a free name change. So far today 5+ players have already taken advantage of this feature.
    Beethoven, PaddyOBrien and boothby like this.
  11. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Thank you Napo, this is one of the core reasons for the change. Pk'ing has nothing to do with it, but it can be rough on a new player to see so many reds using the same name. This coupled with how players questioning this aspect of UO:Renaissance were treated in IRC is what led to the change.

This situation will still happen, and no one will ever be forced to change their name. However the staff will no longer assist players with this type of activity. (via the use of name change deeds)

If 5 players want to pick the same name and go on a rampage it is within the rules of the server to do so. Nothing related to this change stops them. However they will need to build and develop their own characters rather than using a name change deed.

The secondary issue related to this was the staff time involved in researching complaints about account abuse, conduct, or other even more simple matters. When there are 5,10,20,25 players with the same name the administration functions become a headache.
    Beethoven and boothby like this.
  12. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

We've never been secret about who we are, it doesn't take a sleuth lord to figure out who each ilili is, or ask. We all dress differently and we all have different spellings of our name. I've never seen anyone complain, publicly, about the frequency of ilili's pking as if it were different from any other group of pk's. You typically have 2 main ilili's that PK at opposite times of each other but it doesn't take a law degree to figure out that they are 2 different people.

There you go again with the holier than thou act. "Taken extreme care", is this why the small community camped your house when you fist started here? I guess they just didn't understand how careful you were being then. Just about every PK on this server uses the same kid gloves approach to PKing, for the exception of maybe PFR. I haven't seen nor taken part of any complete stomping of a PvMer by a red, unless it's Kane or Vella.

I will say this in closing, Telamon has had a history of addressing groups or individual pk's in the past when he believes they are getting out of hand. I've been in voice when he's PM'd specific people to scold them for pking. Not once has Telamon PM'd me nor any of the other ililili's to ask us to slow down or otherwise stop.

ilili's are run of the mill PKs, they will make a run through all hotspots and kill people at least one time, victims are rezzed, and nothing but gold is typically taken. These rules would obviously adjust if the person isn't simply a PvMer.

You're trying to label the ililil's as some sort of non-stop newbie killing machine, that's just silly.

BTW, from the eyes of someone that was PKd by TT relentlessly at my start here: You may have all had different names but it was still a TT PK, whether Mes killed me in the morning alone or Felanor/Napo/Mes killed me as a group at night. If you look at ilili as a guild name and use our clothing as a player name then its the same thing at the end of the day.
    Blaise and El Horno like this.
  13. napo

napo Well-Known Member

It's not about us. It's about newbies, who are not in a good position to sleuth out who is who.
    All they see is one person killing them constantly.
    Read Telamon's post if you want more information.

The community camped our house when we started here because we pissed off Hatecrime.
    We even had some of those people apologize to us after the fact saying that HC told them to come out and that's the only reason they showed.

Word on the street is that you guys really are a non-stop newbie killing machine. And let's not delude ourselves - this bit about duplicate names is because you guys have been going so hard with the lilililis.
    I hear you guys have made 4 newbies quit this week.
    The dungeons certainly are dead most of the time. It's not us clearing them out, that's for sure.

It's amazing that you guys can shit on the dungeons for months and people are acting like we're the problem now that the blame is being handed out, but that's really just how things are around here.
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  14. amfeKk

amfeKk Well-Known Member

I'm the orange one.
  15. Liberation

Liberation Well-Known Member

16. RollinTheTweed

RollinTheTweed Active Member

It's shit like this why I'm all but gone. Names was never blocked from being copied, myself and my father had twin chars on OSI from 97 through at least 2010. You cannot argue against that. It's a damn good tactic, that whine babies is tired of not being able to handle it. It's no hidden secret, you're tired of the bitching, and folding under the pressure. We might as well add Trammel on public moongates next, because that's where all this shit is heading.
  17. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

No one is killing newbies in Occlo dungeons, you're delusional. If killing tamers farming Balrons is killing newbies, then yes, we're killing newbies.

That's not the "word on the street"

Let's be serious here, what drugs are you on? Because you're either high as a kite or whoever is feeding you this information is. The dungeons have always been dead and it's def not ililil's doing the clearing either. I would blame an economy that doesn't require much farming anymore. I guess it would be easier to just create some story and blame your enemies.

I don't see anyone blaming you guys in this thread, I see it as you guys blaming this whole thing on the ililils. Every single faction for the exception of Minax has copy cat names and it's not a new thing. To blame this change on the ililil's is silly.

To make the assumption that we would complain to Telamon about duplicate names when we too have duplicate names is also silly.
  18. RollinTheTweed

RollinTheTweed Active Member

Most likely the same drugs that you're loading up in your glass pipe at night.
  19. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

Names are not blocked from being copied here on UOR either.

You and your father can have twin chars here on UOR with the exact same name. Nobodies arguing against it. Its a damn good tactic that 3/4 factions use and can all continue to use.

There is nothing in this policy update that would prevent you all from making more and more dank nuggets and us making more gold syncs and ililililil's and CoM making more on me's. We can get a massive movement of players making pks named Lightshade and besmirch his great name. Radical Larry can fill his guild ranks with Radical Larrys.

We can do whatever the heck we want with names as long as:
    • No offensive, gross or sexually suggestive names.
    • No staff impersonation.
    • Maximum of 16 characters including spaces.
    [​IMG]
    Just fill whatever name you should so desire in the box on the character creation screen.

Any questions?
    boothby, Blaise, Descartes and 3 others like this.
  20. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    boothby, Descartes, Dalavar and 2 others like this.