Need a mentor for illicit activities

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Ulrike, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Ulrike

Ulrike New Member

Hi,

If you hang around IRC you have probably seen me asking stupid questions there as Ulrike or talking about how I am going to be a world famous thief, (which I totally am.)

So now I have gm stealing, hiding, stealth, snooping, almost gm lockpicking, and some other things and I am ready to go. People have given me some good advice, but I really don't know where to go or how to behave. I have been having problems getting in touch with the gm of the thieves guild I want to join, I think he is very busy irl.

I'm in the thieves guild and have a disguise kit and other useful things, I just need a mentor.

I'm not looking to do things like steal from people so they attack me and then kill them to get all their loot. I think it's more challenging to steal from a live mark and run off before they realize it, or when they realize it. Really the running is good in general.

Anyway, here's hoping someone can help me!

Edit: I should add I don't carry any loot on me, since I am looking for a nefarious individual and there's no assurance that he/she won't be all nefarious in my direction, as well. I expect to die a lot so I just have newbie stuff on me. :p
    Jakob and Wodan like this.
  2. Jebidiah

Jebidiah Active Member

So what type of help are you looking for really...? When to steal things? Or perhaps you want to learn how to make an empire and be a king because kings are just thieves?
  3. Ulrike

Ulrike New Member

Okay well like, for example, I've been learning bits and pieces about what determines if you get caught. Like I didn't know until recently that PCs around you all get a check to discover you when you steal from someone, not just NPCs.

I don't know the best places to steal or different techniques, though people have been helping me bit by bit. But a knowledgeable thief would, I assume, have a wealth of information on details I would miss.

Am I expecting too much? Is it not as detailed as I think?
  4. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

Jebidiah's question obviously shows his lack of knowledge in this most noble of fields! Luckily he's cunning in many other fields, such as post office management for example!

Ulrike, I have this skill thou seeketh but, alas, I don't have the time to educate thee young padawan. But I'll answer this question of yours;
    Do not give up! Your expectations are quite right! Perhaps, somewhere in the world, you might find a secret guide book for this esoteric knowledge thou seeketh!