Need some clear definition on auction

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Bloodlust, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Bloodlust

Bloodlust Well-Known Member

ppl said that B/I near end of auction(aka sniping) is not polite, why?

it's just a part of auction IMO,

and I'm not really used to make/participate in acution, and i'm not making any arguing or assault.

just curious.

:)
    One likes this.
  2. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

People dislike definite end times due to sniping because it's bad for the seller and the buyers, so just don't make definite end auctions. "Ends 24/48 hours after last bid" is the best way. But, if you're bidding on an auction with a definite end, snipe away.
    One, Halabinder and Bloodlust like this.
  3. Halabinder

Halabinder Well-Known Member

Even on 24/48 hour auctions, it is annoying as hell when you bid and wait until an hour before it is up and someone outbids you right before you were about to win. Not against rules but it's annoying. The seller isn't my concern because they could have a BO option if they want but the people bidding don't control the parameters of the auction.
    One and Bloodlust like this.
  4. Larloch

Larloch Well-Known Member

Everyone has their own rules, like I don't bid up or late bid my buddies. If there is something I really want, then you need to employ some tactics to ensure you don't waste to much money. Remember tho, there is a degree of politics here as well, if you start pissing people off, they will surely repay the favor.
    Bloodlust and Halabinder like this.
  5. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Bid sniping is an age old thing from eBay, of which there are programs that can bid for you, literally at the last second. It's lame and prevents bidding from reaching a natural peak based on what people are willing to pay. Allowing a window of time for a high bid to stand, is the only way you can be sure anyone interested has made their best bids.

I generally won't bid at all on anything with an end timer unless it's undervalued and even then I'll just drop it at the last minute because the seller was too shortsighted to understand how poor that practice is.
    Halabinder, Bloodlust and BlackEye like this.
  6. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

Apart from sniping, which sucks but is up to the auction creator, placing bids in the last minutes before someone wins isn't really a problem unless it's done several times in the same auction or in a regular fashion by the person.

I had several times beef with people who kept waiting three and more times the 23.9 hours in order to increase with minimum increments. This isn't neither effective or productive for anybody and most of the times the auction creators agreed and ignored such people from then on.
    Halabinder and Bloodlust like this.