New here, a few questions

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Chafe, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Chafe

Chafe Well-Known Member

Hey,

Was playing Morrowind the other day and couldn't help thinking about an itch I've never managed to scratch since around '03 - UO. A few hrs of reading and I stumbled across this place. The last couple of days have been overflowing with nostalgia, and I'm having a blast. Just have a few questions....

- are skill gains here quicker than back in the day? I played around 2000-2003 and never made a 7xGM character, and seem to remember certain skills taking a while to GM. Or is the Young person status where you can effectively fight 1v1 at your own pace without being swarmed by orcs etc the reason?

- I understand the benefits of macroing, especially now later in life when free time is much more sparse. My question I suppose is that do most people macro until they have a completed character before roaming the wilds? For those who do does this dampen the PvM part of the game, and lessen the longevity etc?

- going to initially start PvM. Are there many other non-tamers who go meandering around the dungeons?

While I lived in Felucca, Renaissance gutted the place. Really looking forward to the adrenaline and panic as I see red names approaching. Less looking forward to non blessed rune books.

Cheers,

Chafe.
  2. NCCML

NCCML Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Welcome!! This is an awesome server, full of a lot of great people.

It is really up to you whether you macro up to 7x before hitting the trails, or just play as you gain. I personally had a lot more fun playing and gaining all together. There is a great dungeon in Ocllo where you can cut your teeth on some good challenging mobs. Might even see some reds stroll through.

The game loses some of its charm when it becomes an afk grind to see how quickly you can GM a skill.

There are plenty of other adventurers that you will come across in the wilds. Tamers are popular, but so are bards and others.

And you are correct, non blessed rune books sucks. Lol.

Welcome my friend!
    Jesus Is King and PaddyOBrien like this.
  3. Maniac

Maniac Active Member

Been playing about a month now and I just needed to say that coming to this server was probably the best choice I made in 2018.
    In this brief amount of time, I've made friends with new people (Some of which I found live in my neighborhood), reunited with old friends, explored dungeons that bring back so many fond memories, raged at pks, did champ spawns well into the midnight hours and had some fun laughs with the TNT guild. (Thanks to @Sir Billy and @RainZ).

Ultima online was ahead of it's years back when, and it still is till this day. There was never and will never be a game like this. And best of all, I get to play on a server with a community such as this one. So many people have come forward to lend a hand, ty @Jesus Is King and @Plentimon and the many more who helped me along the way
    Thank you @Chris and everyone involved in the creation and maintenance of this server.
    And welcome, @Chafe to Renaissance. Please feel free to message me if you ever need help or a friend to explore with.​
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  4. gitchu1000

gitchu1000 Active Member

Welcome to UO:R!!
    I made my first character using the Young program up until I had less than 100 hours left (of what 400hours or something?). By that time I was very eager to explore the rest of the world. I wasn't fully 7xGM at that point, but I found where I lacked being in the big world and worked those skills. Haven't looked back. Still so much to explore and do. Enjoy yourself and we'll see ya around. Again, WELCOME!
  5. RainZ

RainZ Active Member
    UO:R Donor

That's the beauty of Ultima Online you can play at your own pace. You could macro one account while you play on the other. I still often find myself roaming the forest and jungles whether it's just checking out houses or because it can be so relaxing. You don't have to super grind to get where you want to be but you do have to put in the "work" I guess you could say.

TIP: Stay young and farm that cotton every chance you get and take advantages of not having monster groups gank you.
    gitchu1000 likes this.
  6. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Welcome @Chafe young status is pretty much what you described. Allows you to explore Ocllo and single out monsters.

Skill gain is similar to back in the day. Fast at first, but slows down greatly as you get closer to GM. Many do macro skills to GM but I normally only macro 70-90 depending on the skill and finish them o-natural.

Like others said, tamers are the go-to for PvM here but there are dozens of ways to effectively do PvM without taming. Some guides that might interest you.

One guide to rule them all. One guide to find them.

New to Ultima Online? Start Here!

UO Renaissance Getting Started VIDEO
    gitchu1000 likes this.
  7. Chafe

Chafe Well-Known Member

Thanks for all your replies.

@Maniac , the amount of old memories is astounding. However some places are completely drawing a blank, did I just never go there?!?!

@Keza , thanks for the links, had a bit of a read of them before I started.

Gone initially for swordsman and a bard/mage who I remember being a lot of fun (even though my char was no way near complete). After reading here a bit and trying to get dex up I've added music and peace to the swordsman and have been impressed - a combo I never considered back in the day!

I heard that archery may not be quite what it was - my main used to be an archer and really enjoyed it, can anyone let me know what the differences are?

Thanks again.
  8. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

please accept my simple Welcome.

You will find many a nostalgic memory here. Since you can have 3 accounts I'd recommend macroing one account while exploring on another.
  9. Raajaton

Raajaton Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Welcome @Chafe! You've come to the right place for nostalgia and great fun!

I do macro quite a bit, though I'll say my first character I was absolutely ITCHING to get out there, so I raised a peace dexxer largely through farming out the newbie dungeon in Occlo. I would macro when I couldn't play, but I would stop my macro and run out there with whatever I had to get a piece of the action.

These forums are incredibly active, as well as the IRC channel here so please don't hesitate to ask questions when you need help.
  10. bwillb

bwillb Active Member

I'm fairly new myself and haven't delved deep into it, but I know arrows are a lot more expensive and fletching requires a tool with limited uses instead of a knife. There's also supposedly some quirk with the accuracy where you'll miss a lot. But I've noticed that with most skills, that the failure rates even at GM can be bad. I've seen it suggested that it's scaled for a 120 cap but we have a 100 cap.

Bards in general are really good for a lot of PvE content. Provo is always good, and we have discordance from later versions instead of enticement. And the targeted peace, while it breaks from damage a lot, is a really strong stun that lasts more than long enough to heal yourself up to full.

Tamers are really good in most PvE and some PvP.

Mages in general are OP, though consensus seems to be that the old favorite deadly poison mage is not what it used to be. Stun mages popular for PvP, and bard mages are popular for PvM.

Most people seem to want enough magery to recall on every character. Won't see a lot of people just out and about traveling the wilderness unless they're looking for trouble.
    BlackEye likes this.