New housing options

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Wise, Apr 8, 2013.

Would you like to see more staff made upgrades to existing housing options?

1. Yes

28 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Zagyg

Zagyg Active Member
    UO:R Donor

Agreed with qbradq and Wulver. I've seen screenshots of custom player houses that looked like they were designed by the offspring of M.C. Escher and Helen Keller. I'd hate to see that kind of thing happen here, but player submissions that went up for a player vote and/or were screened by staff sounds like a great idea.
  2. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Staff should definitely have the final word on all design additions.
  3. qbradq

qbradq Member

4. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member

Nice designs. I like the idea of adding a few of the best ones, either through contest or staff vote/approval, on the 1 year aniversary.
    Perhaps the winning architects get a deed of thier winning design and plaque placed near the door or perhaps a trophy.
  5. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

Great idea!
  6. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Just wanted to look at these again... *dreams*
  7. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

I would like a large tower with a huge open first floor. Like a mess hall. This would allow people to have guild meetings at their tower without letting their guild all over the house. Just a thought.
  8. pdodd

pdodd New Member

Might have to hit up world builder during work tomorrow ;)

You guys have posted some great designs! I especially like qbradq's medium tower and the bamboo looking houses.

If new houses were added, it'd be interesting to have them work like the boats currently do: you'd have to buy the plans and have some pro crafters build them for you. I say this because it seems like it'd provide an opportunity to bring a lot of new items into the player economy.

There are many items that aren't traded that often due to no one needing/wanting them. However, if you had to have a lot of this, that, or the other to build new fancy houses, it'd add more variety to the player market.

Just spitballing here, thinking out loud :)
  9. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

I will see about making what Wise said, maybe Villa sized.
  10. qbradq

qbradq Member

The biggest barrier to this stuff is that there isn't a very good tool available to build them. UO Architect lacks the freedom needed for a lot of things, and WorldBuilder is tedious and requires a bit of experience.
  11. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

Bump for more housing options!
  12. pdodd

pdodd New Member

13. Cheapsuit

Cheapsuit Well-Known Member

I know I'm new here and don't have a lot if any say so but I don't like a lot of "change", once you start down this road you end up spending more time trying to "fix" what you shouldn't have broken in the first place. This is what happened to OSI and how they got into trouble. next thing you know you have chars running around flying in the air with wings and whatnot and let's not forget that the OSI/EA or whatever developers have admitted that there are parts in the game that are too broke to be fixed. I say leave well enough alone.

EDIT: I do realize we are only talking about a few housing changes and that it really has nothing to do with balance issues, but the little changes is usually how it all starts before you end up with AOS and one hit/kill weapons. I know because I was the second player on Siege running around with a "Axe of the Heavens" running around one shotting people. Although I did have a blast doing so lol.
  14. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member

The slogan/mantra of UO:R is "History Perfected". Can't perfect history by simply replicating it, I say.

Given the changes that have been done on UO:R so far, I've got the utmost faith UOR's staff won't let AOS happen.
  15. Anti Saint

Anti Saint Member

I would say no but if you were to I would do more like the fortress, it is a nice edition but def do not bring in plots.
  16. LiveFreeOrDie

LiveFreeOrDie New Member

i want a large brick but in log house style. the log cabins are a stupid design. should be more 1800's style. =]
  17. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member

What I really like is the idea of having additional, well balanced houses available.

It might be a good idea to reduce the number of 7x7 small houses down to ONE.
    Currently there are six types of the same house - too many if you ask me.

The major gap is between 200k and the Tower at roughly 400k I think.

Regarding the design, I also favor imitating the design currently available. The best idea I have seen in this thread is the medium tower design. One proposal for the design I would like to bring up is adding at least two rooms with lockable doors. That is a must for houses of that size.

I'm sorry to say that I don't like the Papua style bamboo houses. Since housing is not allowed in T2A, they would look out of place in Britannia.

Also, no AOS style housing please !!! That's "graphical vomit" ...
  18. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

The Papua style houses would be restricted to swamp/jungle land, if that would be possible at all. No player crafted houses, these would all be deeded.
  19. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

I'm on board for this. This was one aspect I loved about the introduction of custom housing in that there are some really badass designs. However, the major flaw is that you end up with peasant dirtbags creating piles of crap for designs and it just ruins the atmosphere. This concept of specially crafted houses approved by players and staff, in my opinion, fits in with the "history perfected" goal. Personally, I fuckin love the idea of having a basement. I honestly wouldn't mind if every house had their own basement in which you were 'unseen' to the outside passerby even if not using the hiding skill. Something about having a sort of 'secret' area of the house for your own personal use and privacy is badass imo. Of course, unfortunately for most of you, it would just be a place where I take those of you who step out of line for a brutal flogging ;)
  20. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Point-counterpoint in the same post. I love it.