New player asking about provo dexer.

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Alco, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Alco

Alco Active Member

Well, i finished my first char which is provo dexer and i use archery as weapon skill. I think its lacking lots of dps versus every other weapon skill + there is runic weapons which makes that dps cap even more unfair. I dont know about slayer weapons yet but i bet archery is lacking some dmg there too. So i ask which weapon skill i should re-train?

Theres some good things on archery too, like position near corner to get loss of sight of pk's which brings some safety but i dont see this as reason to keep archery. :)

Feel free to talk and thanks for reading my newbie post! :)
  2. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

swords
    katana > everything
    Alco likes this.
  3. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Anything but archery will do just fine.
    BlackEye likes this.
  4. Alco

Alco Active Member

Thx for reading and answering! :) I might go with swords or fencing. :)
  5. Desolate

Desolate Active Member

Though you are new and probably have a slim to none collection of slayers, go with what you have most. Or if you are going to hunt any particular monsters, look on vendors and purchase a couple of those slayers then decide on weapon skill.

To clarify, if you're planning on doing liches, then look for a couple of slayer weapons. If you find a couple of sword weapons for reasonable price, go with that skill. Before you know it, you'll start building your own collection.
    Alco likes this.
  6. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Personally, I like swords on a new player's provo dexxer for 2 simple reasons:

1) Swds has a greater availability of viable weapons. Yes the Katana trumps all, but the cutlass, broadsword, viking sword, scmitar are all viable...and since they're so many different kinds, you might find them a bit more affordable and abundant
    2) If you noticed, all the ones mentioned above are 1 handed weps, which means you don't need to de-equip them to drink a potion.
    Bogugh, Alco and wylwrk like this.
  7. Alco

Alco Active Member

I just gm'ed swords so, i got some good swords, and if you have slayer swords weapons for sale i would like to buy but i cannot afford high end or prolly even mid lvl slayer weapons. I will buy some lesser ones! :) Thx for help fellas!! :) Pm me irc #Alco if you are interested selling those low lvl slayer weapon! :)
  8. Bogugh

Bogugh Well-Known Member

It did just get nerfed in the sense that all other weapons got buffs, but, after all the complaints about Archery being overpowered, I think we can agree that this was completely necessary. Now if we could do something about the overabundance of archery slayers then we'll be set. Maybe even drop rates for all weapon types would solve this problem since all skills have the same number of weapons.

/sarcasm
  9. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

What about macing?

Was just thinking the War Hammer has decent DPS and you don't need to drink potions too often as a provoker. Depending on what you're farming it may also be helpful to cut down the stamina of one of the monsters while they beat on each other so when the other dies, it starts hitting you a bit more slowly due to no stamina.
  10. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

This totally depends on what you want to do. I will give you some scenarios and you decide what is right for you:

You're going to provoke 2 monsters on eachother or use blade spirits or some other method resulting in you not getting hit my said monsters. In this case you might want to use swords (katana or lumberjack is popular too for double axe).

You're going to provoke things, but also fight monsters that are going to hit you back (dragons, balrons, daemons, particularly melee monsters). You should go with mace fighting because stamina drain is great at lowering their swing speed on you as monsters cannot drink red potions like players can.

You plan on fighting people with any degree of frequency, or you want to come out swinging at a pk. Fencing. The DPS is pretty good for the kryss. The war fork can do some great random damage, and the long/short spears are excellent weapons vs mages, especially when you can get a few lucky timed para blows.

Archery here is.. not a good range weapon but ironically a pretty good close-range weapon for at least 1 shot.
  11. Desolate

Desolate Active Member

Archery really only has a decent place on a fisher template here. Even then i prefer ebolt spam. I was sorely dissapointed after making an archer even after reading other posts warnings about it.

Tests have been made about which category is best for swords, macing and fencing. Nothing conclusive enough to deem the best. So its really more about preference. I enjoy the sound of a warhammer and the ability that it has to drain stamina to slow down attacks which would be helpful for the creature that survives and finishing em off.
  12. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

katana still > everything

or

how much fun you're having > everything

G'luck either way :)
    Vandalin and Bogugh like this.
  13. Bogugh

Bogugh Well-Known Member

Provo dexers sure are a lot of fun!
  14. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

I use my provo dexxer in amib runs, and they're VERY fun...and challenging!!