New player questions

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Xeba, May 15, 2013.

1. Xeba

Xeba New Member

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum and the shard itself, not new to UO tho.. So, sorry if it's the wrong place to ask these questions.

1-¿Can a mage use healing? And if he can, ¿is it worth to level that skill on a mage? Because most shards i've played had a dex based healing system, where the less dex you had, the longer it will take for you to heal.

2-¿Does the skill wrestling help in ANY way at a mage?

3-¿Can a warrior cast spells with armor on? I mean like a "paladin"/hybrid warrior, because (again) most shards i've played had a system where you had high fizzle chances wearing plate armor, and you had to wear chain armor in order to use magery with a warrior, so it wasn't really worth. ¿How is it here?

4-I've seen that you can stun another character if you level anatomy and wrestling, so just to try it out, i trained wrestling to 100% and I already had anatomy in 100% too. ¿How does this work? ¿Is it automatic, or I have to activate it somehow? ¿Does it really worth to have wrestling on a warrior build (I'm training macefighting, in case it has something to do with it).

5- ¿Is archery any good? Because I like using it, but most shards have it underpowered, and sometimes it is a waste of skills. I started my char with 50 archery, so I'd really like to know if it's worth getting 100% archery (for both pvp and pvm)

That is it for now, I'm sorry for making it long, but I really need to clear some things up in order to keep training. I'll proably keep asking some stuff as they come to my mind, so if this is not the place to do it, please let me know it. (Sorry about my english too, it's not my main language).

Thanks and good bye!
  2. Godric Greycliff

Godric Greycliff Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Welcome to UOR, Xeba.

1. Mages can use healing. It's quite common here but we do have a dex based healing system. At 10 dex it takes 14 seconds to heal. For every 10 dex over that it takes 0.5 seconds off your timer.

2. Wrestling helps avoid the attacks of your enemies as well as gives you a chance to interupt other mages spells within melee distance. The average of your anatomy and eval int skills also provide a defensive wrestling bonus whereby you are harder to hit but have little ability to land a blow on others. This fits very well with the use of healing on a mage.

3. Warriors can cast spells just fine while wearing armor. However, you cannot actively meditate with any armor other than leather. Metal armor also mitigates passive mana regeneration, I believe.

4. The stun punch skill must be activated by a hotkey. This can be set with either the UO client or razor. *edited for false information*

5. Archery is still considered underpowered by most people. This skill, like many, is still open for review and balancing. There is currently a thread elsewhere on this very subject.
  3. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Renaissance Staff

As mentioned above, you need to activate this ability through either razor or the client itself by means of a hotkey/macro. The chance to successfully stun an opponent is determined by the amount of skill in both wrestling & anatomy, which yields a 40% chance at 80/80 (also the minimum requirements) while at 100/100 the chance is 50%.
  4. Nymeros

Nymeros Well-Known Member

Only leather? or studded leather is fine as well? I can do the skill when I have studded leather but maybe it's not recovering as much as it would if I was wearing only leather.
  5. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Renaissance Staff

Studded leather does not block the ability to actively meditate, however it does reduce both the passive & active mana regeneration rate by -50%.
  6. Xeba

Xeba New Member

Thank you for your answers!

I have another questions now: I've seen a templates guide, and there were a lot of templates, and about warriors and mages, ALL of them had ressisting spells as one of the skills.
    I wasn't thinking of taking ressist on my war, since I've never really liked it.. but I don't really know what to do now, so, the question:
    1- Is ressisting spells a MUST HAVE skill in this shard for a warrior or mage?

2- This is more like an opinion, here is the build that I was thinking in my warrior, I'd like to know what do you think about it, and give me some advice about what skill to pick, or wich skill should i remove in order to put ressist (if it's really necessary)
    Mace
    Heal
    Anatomy
    Tactics
    Parrying
    Magery
    Wrestling OR Archery

3- Is 100 the maximum you can have of one stat? (I mean dex, str, int)

4- How do i make that "Stun Punch" macro? I've been searching on the macros on UO and razor and can't find how

Thanks again!
  7. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Unless you plan on completely avoiding any and all monsters that cast magic spells, I would not recommend leaving Magic Resist out of any combative template.

This also answers question number 2, neither Wrestling or Archery. Do Resist instead, and this weekend, training is free:
    viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1699

Yes, 100 is the maximum for any Stat.

Under Hotkeys tab in Razor, find Misc, Special Moves, Toggle Stun
  8. Xeba

Xeba New Member

Well, thank you very much!
    I'll be joining the ressisting spells party ;)
  9. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

Party like your resist is at 99.9
  10. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

What are you looking to stun punch? Stun punch on monsters still allows the monster to hit you if you stand next to it. Most special abilities from weapons are geared for pvp as they are nearly useless for monsters, except possibly crushing blow.
  11. Xeba

Xeba New Member

I thought it would be good for pvp, but yeah, I don't think it's worth the 100 skill
  12. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

It could work to stun and heal/escape.
  13. Aegis

Aegis Member

on a horse it's so easy to outrun a mob...
  14. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

I was refering to that he would use it for pvp. His template would not utilize stun punch often as by the time he armed his weapon they would be free before his swing.