New player - Server questions

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by LeeUK, Mar 30, 2017.

1. LeeUK

LeeUK New Member

Good evening, or whatever time it is for you lol. I started playing here yesterday, I have been an on and off player for UO since pre-trammel days ( when I was a young clueless teen ) and have played a variety of official Shards up until they started fucking it up and after that, all kinds of free shards. The shard seems nice so far, it has an enjoyable simplicity to it that gives me a feel of old. I really like the New Player scheme you have going on too. However I noticed that I do have a delay, a bit of lag so to speak.

Living in England I did expect that I would not get a great ping here, but when I looked at my ping, I am getting between 165-190. I am not sure how viable I am going to be at PvP if I am one of the few players with such a shitty ping ( and the fact I haven't played any UO for a long time now lol ). Without naming the other shard, that I would certainly not rather play over this, I ping at about 110ms and that sounds right for a server on the East Coast.

Am I just unfortunate enough that this server is based further West into the USA, or is the server on the East Coast and just laggier for everyone? I guess if it's the former I can just my ping as an excuse everytime I get rekt.

Also, random question. does it matter what I am provoking at 76 real skill or can I carry on macro provoking the trolls and harpies in the occlo sewer place?

Thanks for any info :)
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    wylwrk, Halabinder and Kiryana like this.
  2. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

Welcome to the shard! Not sure about the ping, but several European players play here and seem to do fine in pvp.

At 76 real skill you probably won't gain more provoking monsters in the sewer. Log into irc and ask someone to let you into the provo houses in Occlo (small houses where people trap pirate npcs) and you can gm provo off of those pirates. There are several people in irc at any given time that can let you in. From there, it shouldn't take too long at all!
    LeeUK likes this.
  3. LeeUK

LeeUK New Member

Ok that's good to hear, just unsure of how much a high ping like that will affect me here.

Yeah the gains have really slowed down now, I will jump onto IRC and ask, thank you for the tip mate!.
  4. Kiryana

Kiryana Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome!

At the expense of connection speed and geographical location, here is the information >>> http://uorforum.com/threads/server-move-timing-and-information.17355/

I and some guys just jumped the connection speed, I straightened myself with the help of VPN, and now the situation has become much more stable as it seems to me! I shot my ping from 230 to 140-160, PVM is normal, PVP is basically not enough for me, but it's 140 playable! From Russia...

I hope the information is useful and I wish good luck in all endeavors!

Regards,
    Kirysna :)
    LeeUK likes this.
  5. LeeUK

LeeUK New Member

Thank you Kiryana, sad to see it is indeed on the West Coast USA!. What VPN did you use? I have never really used VPNs before so I interested to see if I can boost my own ping at all!. Was it easy to get working?
    Kiryana likes this.
  6. Kiryana

<<<<I use only expressVPN, I have been with them in principle for a long time already and they eliminate me all! There are many more good ....

With VPN it is easy to work. And in general, when I started here, I managed to learn my stolen before moving the server and it started to work. Sechschas all was adjusted, but I will not lie sometimes sometimes I have problems with communication, but it's only because I'm quite far away from the server :)

In most cases, an excellent server and a good connection, try to establish a connection, I hope you will succeed, since I could.

Try pinging at different times of the day, do a trace and ask the provider to shorten the path to the server, and then a lot of very middlemen, I think 50-70ms really throw :)

Regards,
    Kiryana :)
    LeeUK likes this.
  7. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Welcome to the Server! Sounds like you might be ahead of what this Getting Started Video offers, but you might still learn a thing or two.
    LeeUK and Kiryana like this.
  8. compsays

compsays Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Welcome Lee! Ping's been fine for me so far, been back in the world of UO for about a month now.

Have fun!
    LeeUK likes this.
  9. Fullmetal

Fullmetal Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Welcome to UO:R!
    LeeUK likes this.
  10. NerK

NerK Well-Known Member

Welcome to the server, I play from Asia.

My lag has been really really bad the last two weeks - but this is not normal for the shard.. Usually very playable.
    LeeUK likes this.
  11. Kalvasflam

Kalvasflam Active Member

Hi Lee, I have just started on this shard as well. I live in Germany and regularly ping over 200. As I am not much into pvp I can't tell you how viable it is. For pvm/crafting etc. it's very viable. I have no reason to complain. However, I do notice lag whenever I am running three accounts simultaneously. With just one or two accounts I'm fine.

I also started out with provo. You will GM in no time afk in the Occlo provo houses. It's a huge help! Just ask around in IRC if anyone opens the door for you.

P.S. Good luck on this shard and we already miss you, you Brexiteers ;)
    LeeUK and Kiryana like this.
  12. Willeh

Willeh Active Member

Welcome Lee! I'm from the UK too, the latency has been pretty bad in the last few weeks but this isn't normal and i'd expect it to be fixed soon. However my ping here for the last year or so hasn't really been enough to compete in PvP but more than enough for everything else.

Best of luck and see you ingame!
    LeeUK likes this.
  13. LeeUK

LeeUK New Member

Thanks mate!. I guess I will find out once I start PVPing, if it's that bad I will invest into a VPN and see if that helps :). I managed to get help and got into a Provo house in Ocllo yesterday, I am at 99.1 Provoke right now and still macroing so should be GM soon :D.

Well I will let you know how my PvP goes in the future ( once I actually build a PvP char lol ) and how well a VPN works if I need to use one. Thanks mate :)
  14. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

@LeeUK lots of players overseas use WTFast and it seems to help a lot.
    LeeUK, Kiryana and Kalvasflam like this.
  15. ToX

ToX Active Member

Hi mate, i live in Italy and ping is 170-200 here
  16. LeeUK

LeeUK New Member

I am using it now on trial, it does improve it and seems a little more stable now. Just a shame the server is on the West Coast USA, the server itself doesn't seem fantastic either IMO but I did read that they are using because of its DDOS protection, which is a fair trade off.
  17. Vandalin

Vandalin Well-Known Member

I'm in the UK and lag has never been an issue for me except the last 2 weeks have been exceptionally bad. I'm not sure why! But, generally, I haven't had any reasons to complain.
    LeeUK likes this.
  18. Kiryana

<<<< If I'm not mistaken, Chris reported just a couple of weeks ago that they will start testing the connection speed or something like that! I hope I did not dream about it :)
    LeeUK likes this.
  19. LeeUK

LeeUK New Member

Brilliant. Are you apart of a guild by any chance? are there many European players you know of here?
  20. Vandalin

Vandalin Well-Known Member

Many European players here and a handful of Brits, I think. My guilds are US based but other than missing occasional events it's not too hard to match up playing times. Send me a PM if I can help you with anything!
    LeeUK likes this.