New Player - Some Questions

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Kupursk, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Kupursk

Kupursk New Member

Howdy Folks,
    After many years I decided to return to UO and was looking for a good shard to join. This one seems like it's thriving well.

I was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions:

1) Is this shard full PvP and Thieving? If I recall correctly Renaissance was the expansion that split the world between Trammel and Felucca, so how does it work here?

2) Anyone ever had success in running the Enhanced Client in this shard? I know some people have managed to run it in RunUO shards but it was rather buggy with spellbooks not working and such.

3) How do Magical Items work in the Renaissance era? Is it the old "Vanquishing" system, or were there already those later magical properties?

Thanks in advance and a good day!
  2. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Welcome

1) All Felucca
    2) does not work
    3) old vanquishing style

Join us on IRC, that's the new WBB type hangout
  3. Kupursk

Kupursk New Member

Hey CaptainMorgan, thanks for the quick reply.

Just out of curiosity, what are the overall differences between T2A and Renaissance eras then?
  4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

There's lots of differences, but off the top of my head:.

The big ones that come to mind are PvP related, like being unable to heal through poison, or Mind Blast working on the formula (HighestStat - LowestStat / 2).
    Weapons have special skills (Concussive blow, Crushing blow, Paralyzing blow).
    Special attacks exist (Stun Punch, Disarm).
    Tamers are limited to 8 pet slots, and can bond pets.
    Barding is difficulty based, so tougher monsters are harder to provoke/discord/peace.

In addition there are thousands of new items, objectives (i.e. BoDs) and monsters.

The best way to find out is to hop on for yourself and try it out!
  5. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

1) No, but pvp and thieving do exist here. It's just not even remotely "full" of it.
    2) It can but it's tricky and generally not worth it for the reasons you mention
    3) old style + slayer properties from era
  6. Pekka

Pekka Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to UOR @Kupursk

1. If you play European hours, its very rare to see a red named but common at Dungeon hot spots at US prime time. Thieves? Extremely rare. I got a painting stoolen from my backpack and I hope he got use of it, and thats all and it is not profitable to be a thief I heard and if somone steals something from others backpacks, all hell breaks loose. We have a couple of interesting threads about that issue. There's other ways to get other players belongings. Be sure to read the house security section at the homepage how to keep others out from your house aS many get their houses drylooted.

2. Do not forget that some areas are completey unique to this shard, like Ocllo dungeon system and all different instances and if you run another client, you will get problems there. I have tried to start it but failed and it doesnt matter reallt if I use the classic or enhanced client really for playing UO but the enhanced looks nice, no doubt.