New player

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Felix Jaegar, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Felix Jaegar

Felix Jaegar Member

Hi guys,
    Obviously as the subject states im new to this server. I have not played ultima in a long time and found your server so thought i'd give it a go.
    Just a couple of newb questions.
    Is a dexxer best way to start?
    what are the best ways and places to train?
    Any safer dungeons to start in?

cheers in advance.
    Felix Jaegar
  2. Huzke

Huzke Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Dexer isn't bad to start with, it's certainly easy anyway. If you want to get some more performance out of it for PvM I would suggest adding provocation and/or peacemaking to it. You can lock down mobs by spamming use skill peacemaking/last target over and over while you're beating on them and they will rarely hit you back. This will allow you to take down much much stronger single mobs as a dexer than you normally would and of course provocation for multiples.

I always start in Vesper whenever I have started on a new server in UO. I like the layout of the city, the only thing it really lacks is a stable, there is a cemetery on the road west of town, it's not far from Covetous to hit up the harpy room, gazers, elder gazers, etc as your character progresses, the Minoc Moongate and the city of Minoc are very close to Vesper as well.

If you do decide to start out in Vesper there's a vendor at the cemetery gate with super inexpensive starter kits for newbie dexers, cheap bandages, recall scrolls, and some helpful runebooks inside the shop with lower end hunting spawns, all city banks, all dungeon entrances, some other helpful locations, etc.

I would suggest you start out by farming gold at the cemetery and gradually use the gold to train random skills from NPCs in town so that you can hit the 700 skill stat cap. After that go to the stable in Moonglow, buy a shepherd's crook and make sure herding is pointed up and all other skills are locked (so that you don't actually gain skill in herding, you will want it to be 0) and macro herding on one of the animals in the stable. This is a really fast way to raise your stats to their desired values. After that you'll be able to take on much stronger mobs and be well on your way here.

Welcome to the server and good luck!
  3. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

I always start with a dexer, always choose Britain, and always choose 50 Magery, 49 Healing, and 1 of either Fencing or Swords.

The graveyard north of Britain is great for a new player to train skills and begin earning gold. Zombies fall quickly and provide 50 gold or so. Skeletons also fall quickly, and provide serviceable armor.

Your weapon will decay quickly, so be sure to ditch it and buy a new one at the blacksmith nearby every hour or so.

Shades will eventually provide spells to fill your spellbook with. The Tailoring shop near the bank will sell you cloth for bandages.

Bards are VERY strong on this shard, so should be considered a viable choice for starting character as well. Personally I haven't played them much before here, so I just stick to what I know for a first char - a dexer.
  4. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Welcome to the server!

Runebooks aren't blessed and lockdown containers can be looted!

Join IRC, you can do it from your browser, there are many people there always willing to help http://www.uorenaissance.com/irc
  5. Godric Greycliff

Godric Greycliff Well-Known Member

Welcome to Renaissance.
  6. Ningauble

Ningauble Active Member
    UO:R Donor

Welcome Felix! Congratulations on finding UOR. Surrender any plans you might have had about ever being a productive member of society again.
  7. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Felix!
    If you want to run a player vendor with your name, I have the contract in my bank for Felix :p
  8. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

I'd recommend starting in Occlo if you want to utilize the 'young' player program.

I have heard that there is a new cave located under Occlo that has been inhabited by Ogres, Harpies, Gazers, oh no!

Excellent place for a dexxer to earn some coin. It's not really dangerous, but then again, Catalin did die there..
    viewtopic.php?p=26939#p26939

Also, there are a lot of nice overworld additions in Occlo.

- Jupiter Greystone
  9. MrCandyMan

MrCandyMan Active Member

I started with a dexer and went to Brit GY. No one will kill you there. Once I hit 50 swords I went to Covetous, then at 75 I went to Despise. But that is just the routine I have on every server.

I started 5 days ago and was able to place a large brick house and begin working on my Heal/Stun/Mage for factioning. This is a great server to get back into UO because skillgain isn't tough at all, and money isn't hard to come by.

Good luck with everything :D
  10. Felix Jaegar

Felix Jaegar Member

Can someone tell me if eating has anything to do with skillgain please.
  11. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

It does not!
  12. ManOpeace

ManOpeace New Member

Hey, I am not the new guy anymore!
  13. Wil

Wil Member

My main money maker is a provoke dexer. Provoke two mobs on each other and then kill them while they're busy with each other. This burns neither mana nor reagents, leaving me clear to cast recall when the PKs show up.

This server has a young player program where monsters are non-aggressive until you attack and no players can attack you. This is highly advantageous when you're still bootstrapping but it ends when you top 500 skill. I recommend waiting on herding until after you fall out of the new player program for some other reason.

Once you're out of the new player program, yeah, this is priority one.

Regards,
    Wil