New Tamable Mobs? - Suggestion -

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Minallee, Sep 28, 2014.

Would you like to see Llama and Ostard Mares implemented in game?

Poll closed Oct 12, 2014.
  1. Yes

22.2%
  2. No

74.1%
  3. Unsure

3.7%
  1. Minallee

Minallee New Member

Please before I begin I would like to say that I have played countless amounts of other servers and ended up landing here and liking it enough to where I would offer some suggestions for the future. I am in no way a veteran of UO:R. What I am going to be suggesting will purely be an idea and I would like other players to possibly give some feedback on it!

Suggestion #1 : New Tamables.

a. As we all know the "meta" for UO, on free shards, has always been the horse or the nightmare. The standard players choose the horse, the tamers choose the nightmare. Some servers allow people to ride nightmares without controlling them, some don't. But lets all be realistic here, if you have played UO as long as I have you must be as burnt out on horses as I am, right? This is why I have come up with this semi-detailed suggestion.

b. New Tamable Mobs -

1. Llama Nightmare - The Llama Nightmare is simply a nightmare as you know it now, in the form of a dark Llama. Nothing has to be changed other than the body style of a nightmare to achieve this. This would give a new twist to taming unto it self while also cater to those who do not like horses, or standard horse nightmares.

2. Ostard Nightmares - Same thing, it is simply the same nightmare you know now but in the form of a dark fenzied ostard. This would cater to those who do not like horses or llamas.

I firmly believe that adding content such as these two things would do a multitude of good for the shard as well as make the player base happy. No longer will every tamer look exactly alike, no more will every nightmare be exactly alike and no longer will the colors of our sandals distinguish who we are as players.

Suggestion #2 : Tamable Monsters.

a. As we all know, taming seems to be the "thing" on this shard as almost every single person I've met has three gm tamers that look exactly the same and have max stat bonded pets of the exact same kind on each character. Isn't it time for a change? Why cant one tame monsters? An Ogre Lord? Elder Gazers? etc. It seems like the pet system is pretty darn stable here and I think it would introduce a nice new hearty bit of content to the server. Similar to all tames now, once tamed the monsters stats will halve etc etc. But rather than being forced to stick with simple old dragons we could go get something else of our choice!

b. New Tamable Monsters.

1. Ogre Lords - They are not "too powerful" and are not "too big" but they serve quite a purpose if you need a tank pet etc.

2. Elder Gazers - They are not "Too Strong" with melee, but have a high casting capability. This pet would be good for those who choose magic over melee.

3. Dread Spiders - Dread spiders may seem OP but they die very easily. This would allow a tamer to utilize a high damage poisoning ability while attacking.

4. Silver Serpents - Whilst they do not cast spells, they are quick and they also poison. Anyone knows, silvers die very easily too.

--- These are just a small couple of mobs that I was thinking of to create tamables out of. It would add so much more content and would make the taming class something other than the old meta of 2 dragons and a mare. People can mix and match all their pets to whatever they feel is good. ---

Suggestion #3 : Tamable NPC's

Before I begin on this suggestion I would like to tell all of you to take this with a grain of salt. It was something I just wanted to throw out there because I have seen it done before and it was pretty awesome... Beware, no trolls please...

a. When people try to fight tamers, from what I have seen, it is a guerrilla tactic situation. In, out, in, out - simply because if they went all in on the tamers odds are they would die. Why couldnt players train NPC's as a pet? Just like taming, you tame and get the stats that NPC had and the skills that npc had also. Therefor if you tame a paladin, you get a paladin. If you tame a mage, you get a mage and so on... This NPC will have noob npc gear on and will gain skills and stats during combat. You personally equip your own NPC with what you think is best for your fighting style. If you want to put a full set of invuln armor on them, so be it, if you want to put a DP vanq weapon on it, so be it - but beware because if there player characters die, YOU must loot all of their items and every other player can do the same.

1. Paladin - A paladin, a tank. Much HP, and a heavy melee weapon or sword/shield.

2. Mercenary - A merc would be a step lower than a paladin. Less armor, less hp, powerful mid weapons (swords, maces, etc)

3. Ranger - A ranger would have studded type armor, less hp than the merc, powerful long range weapons (bow, heavy etc)

4. Mage - A mage would be only able to wear leather, lowest HP of all, Powerful magic attacks. (FS, EB, MB etc)

Unfortunately I do not remember the shard I saw this done on, but it was extremely fun and it was not OP at all. In my opinion it added a little niche to classes other than tamers so they were able to have a companion "pet?" with them that was actually useful in pvm and pvp.

Anyway, those are my suggestions. The first suggestion is a REAL suggestion, one that I think can be done and should be done as not everyone likes horses and it would also help the mare economy if they are tied into the normal mare spawns. The second suggestion was just something that crossed my mind. It could help make things a little more fast paced and exciting. The third suggestion I pulled off of a memory I had playing another shard and I had a blast training my npc up to max stats and skills.

Feedback? Once again, please no trolls. These are only suggestions and aren't written in stone.

Thank you!

=Minalee=
    Basoosh likes this.
  2. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

I really like the idea that 1 out of every 100 nightmares to spawn would be a 'llamare or ostare'. Perhaps once tamed, and sold a player would have to go buy a saddle from an NPC that would cost a ton. (gold sink)
  3. Minallee

Minallee New Member

That is also a great idea. I didn't want to get into real specifics like that simply because I don't fully understand the shards economy yet etc. But as I said previously, thats a great idea too!
  4. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

While I agree that it's dumb that all tamers ride the same thing, I think it's dumber to have people running around on deadly llamas.

Likewise with the new taming monsters. There are in fact a number of other tameable choices that currently exist that are a bit weaker than the standard dragon-dragon-nightmare setup, but that no one uses. I don't think tameable ogre lords would change this, unless they're more powerful than the dragon-dragon-nightmare setup, in which case this would go from a silly idea to one that would make me curse aloud.

As for the tamable NPC humanoids, this kind of did exist back in the day. You could hire NPCs, and they would fight for you like a pet ("all follow me", "all kill", etc.). I forget if you could equip them or not, but they came with basic gear for their char type. I think this is something that could be implemented here, would feel very much at home with the UO we came here for (2000-2001 era UO), and could be balanced well enough to be useful but not overpowered.
    LanDarr likes this.
  5. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

Totally against the tameable monsters and npcs, but I do think it would be cool to have a tameable nightmare version of a llama and ostard.
    Vlar likes this.
  6. Artex

Artex Well-Known Member

Hard to beat two trained dragons and a trained mare. OL damage output wouldn't even be close. Dragons ability to cure and heal when needed is huge. Humanoid tameable forms just wouldn't feel right.
    Llamas? How about a spitting fire attack!! Instead of a fireball it would appear to be a flame thrower. Jokin wouldn't want them.

I've always wished I could tame a shadow wyrm but that would be over powering. Unless we could make it take 4 slots and you'd have to own a +3 mask to even have a shot at taming or controlling it. I like expanded content, can't be stagnet. Keep the ideas coming! For pvm tamers have always been the preferred template but you still need a bard for tuffer mobs that would dirt nap your pets.
  7. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  8. LanDarr

LanDarr Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor

Since we are just spitballing here -

Tameable Ophids!

Must use Baracoons Flute to tame them and control them. Lose it, or it breaks, your Ophids turn on you and turn you into Snake Goo
  9. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member

I really like where you're going with this. Kind of a build-your-own-party type of thing depending on what you're going to fight. Unfortunately, anything like this is going to be a huge departure from era mechanics.
  10. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I was saying last night, one Ancient Wyrm...tamable with 103 skill, takes 6 slots. Would probably still be crazy overpowered. I'm not really interested in expanding the range of mobs you can tame, outside of silver serpents or wyverns as 3 slot alternatives to dragons/WWs.

I guess nightmare versions of llama and ostards wouldn't be so bad. I personally feel like all ride-able llamas should be removed from the game and all llamas that spawn be ride-able, like horses, as well.

I absolutely agree that hire-able NPCs should be implemented. Even varying levels of skill/cost, as well as the mages. Restricted to control slot limitations of course.
    Minallee likes this.
  11. Halabinder

Halabinder Well-Known Member

What about a saddle option for Mares (or all mounts for that matter) that you could dye using a leather dye tub? Then tamers can look different and don't have to ride deadly llamas. It can even cost a bit and be lootable off the dead animal's corpse for extra PK incentive.

If it has to be a different creature can it at least be a unicorn or something? Hell even those swamp dragon things from OSI with mare stats and skills would be a bit more palatable than black killer llamas and ostards.
  12. T3h D4ve

T3h D4ve Well-Known Member

Wouldn't want to see any tameable humans or companions that you could level up, but I'd be happy to see npc companions that you could hire for a few hours, maybe even if his contracted time with you ends and he's still alive, that you get a scroll to call him forth to use that one again with th skills he last had when he left ya.

As for the saddle, interested...but what about barding?
    Maybe not on mares (they're tough enough), but definately for horses/ostards/frenzies =P

I don't use my mare, don't see th point in getting off your steed in combat.
    Frenzies all th way! =P
  13. Minallee

Minallee New Member

See,

The idea of having nightmare-llamas is not as far fetched as a black horse that shoots fireballs and casts flamestrikes. If you actually believe that the horse version is more realistic than a llama version you are well...special... lol. Neither one exists. It is simply an idea to be able to be different. I can honestly say that in all the shards I have played it ends up that end-game (high tier player with a lot of money) always end up looking exactly the same other than a little color difference here and there. Why is it such a terrible idea to be able to have a nightmare with a llama body or even an ostard? People like different things. No offense to this server, it is NOT era accurate 100%. Why would we all act as if it is? This is a UO:R server with MANY different implementations that are NOT from the UOR era. I am not saying to get crazy and implement 100000 things that make it UOR pvp mechs and nothing else - but for real, dont kid yourselves for a moment by thinking everything implemented so far is 100% UOR era accurate.

As I stated in my original post, 99% of this server are tamers. Most of that 99% have 3 tamers on 3 accounts and run around using the follow command with 6 dragons. That in itself should not be allowed, its not era accurate, but people still do it and I dont hear any tamers complaining about it - but you damn well know if Telamon implemented a rule that stated "If you are caught using three accounts at the same time with 6 dragons and 3 mares you will be jailed" every single tamer would freak out because they couldnt solo AW or the balron room anymore.

I am offering a suggestion to give tamers a little more choice between tames. A different look with the same str as a nightmare. A way to customize your character without looking like the same old retarded pure mare, 2 dragon, shadow dyed clothing and masks etc. If simply implementing a nightmare with a llama body or ostard body is the end of the world to people because its not "era accurate" then why are you all running around with 3 chars 6 dragons and 2 mares? lol That is not Era accurate. Mask dyes are not era accurate. Ocllo itself and the young system isnt era accurate. Half the special mobs that spawn are not era accurate. Need I go on?

So simply put, lets stop talking about era accuracy when this shard is about 50% accurate and the other 50% custom. The customization is what makes this server better than the rest that are out there. Once you stop customizing, especially just aesthetic changes, the shard becomes the same old and ends up dead.

Had we all forgotten how UOSA died? lol No events, no customization what so ever, no real updates, no anything. A plain server where the staff didn't give a shit about their players. Era accuracy killed UOSA, if everyone pretends like era accuracy exists on this server, UOR will be the next to die. Nobody wants that but by screaming about a false sense of era accuracy you will convince too many people that it is true and as I said the same fate will come to UOR.
  14. Minallee

Minallee New Member

Yes,

Tamers are OP here. They are. If anyone argues that point they are half retarded. I am simply suggesting a solution to add some diversity to taming. I personally like the idea of tamed wyverns, strong spider, silver serps etc. I also like the idea that my tamer, if any of this is implemented, will not turn out in the end game to be like every other player on this shard with blessed special colored gear with 2 alt tamers following them around all suited exactly the same just soloing anything they want. I think a little more customization to taming, and even other areas of the game, should be looked into. Of course anything suggested needs deep thought and a lot of time to figure out how to implement it properly before being done - but that is a given (at least for people who understand how game implementations work).

All in all, and I know I am not the only one who thinks this, making a tamer or any other char with the goal of looking exactly like everyone else and playing exactly like everyone else with no ability to change the "meta" and think outside the box is just not appealing to me what-so-ever. I also know that some people want that! Some people are incapable of thinking outside of the box so they want the standard OEM crap. Its a two way street. I just think that people need to open their minds a bit and realize that implementing certain things - even if its not my suggestions - is not the end of the world and it just adds more content to the shard, which will ultimately bring more people to the game. And that is the end goal for everyone right? To have a populated shard that is fun to play.

All in all, once I get 2 well stated dragons and a pure well stated nightmare, a nice pair of colored sandals, colored mask and some matching clothing - I am finished with my tamer. In 10 days I have managed to get a great mare, 2 great dragons, black sandals (my personal preference i know they arent rare) and I am waiting to find a nice mask. 10 days. After that my tamer is complete and nothing else can be done to that character to customize them more or to edit the lineup of pets that I am stuck with.

Lol
    Basoosh likes this.
  15. Dalavar

Odds-on favorite for "most inaccurate forum statement of the year".

I agree that seeing 20 tamers lined up for a Zookeeper's quest, all sitting on nightmares, is kind of an eyesore. However, the alternative you're proposing, is in my eyes even more of an eyesore.

?!

There is always going to be ONE configuration for a tamer that is the best. And any customization that departs from that setup is going to be... not the best. You can't have the best of both worlds. Either you want the best setup, or you want to do something different and distinctive.

As it stands, you're completely ignoring a number of potential taming setups that are far less used than dragon-dragon-nightmare, but nearly as effective:
    WW, WW, nightmare
    Dragon, WW, nightmare
    nightmare, nightmare, nightmare, nightmare
    pack of wolves/cats/imps/etc.

If you want to do something different and creative, do it! Don't ask for custom changes to do it for you.

I, too, hit your "complete" tamer setup, a long time ago. But I am having fun pursuing a new setup, with 8 bonded Hell Hounds. I even ditched my "nice mask" and sandals in favor of some that would match my forthcoming pack of death:
    http://www.uorenaissance.com/player/436571

I am sorry to rant here, but I am entirely sick of people complaining about their own lack of creativity and asking the staff to legislate and/or create fun things for them.
    Halabinder likes this.
  16. Gideon Jura

17. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I think you should re-word your "Peace Dexxer" to "Dexxer Bard" because bard dexxers come in three flavors or more.

My disco-swordsman is offended and his provo-dexxer buddy would be too if he were reading this. :p

Also, probably not wise to leave out tamer bards, also in three flavors or more.
  18. Gideon Jura

19. Dalavar

I agree with Gideon's take, I have 12 different characters that aren't crafters, and I go through them all at one time or another.

And in fact, at this very moment, I am changing the last 2 skills on my tamer (for the THIRD time) because I can't decide what I like best.

I agree it should be improved. But, my easiest AMIB Ironman campaign to date was a provo-archer. Kicked the crap out of all 4 instances. And archers actually did really well at the Halloween event last year, plinking arrow after arrow down on monsters from up in the rafters of Lord British's castle.
  20. Gideon Jura