New to Renaissance, questions about PvP and the shard in general

Discussion in 'PvP Discussion' started by Clouds, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Clouds

Clouds New Member

Hello all,

I am new to this shard and I have not played UO in many years(98-02). I always had a lot of fun PvPing on OSI. I quit shortly after pub 16 as that release was the last straw for me. One of the things that attracted me to this server was the fact that the PvP seems to be mostly based around pre pub 16 UO:R. I had tried out UOF(uo forever) for a short time but I just couldn't get into that server. The PvP was essentially heavily based on post pub 16 combat and so I have moved here. I have really enjoyed my short time on Renaissance. I have decided to make it my UO home. I have been browsing the forums for info on the server and the community. Being someone who enjoys their PvM but gets the most enjoyment out of combat with other players, I naturally want to know how the PvP community is here. I have noticed that it seems like there are lots of options for the PvM minded individual but the PvP community at first glance of the forum threads and posts seems somewhat cliquey and not very open to newer players trying to break into the scene, especially after a long hiatus. I have seen some great threads about PvP training and what not but I have also seen a lot of negative posts concerning PvP here. From what I gather the PvPers here seem to sort of stick with their little cliques and don't seem to extend their hand outside of their little group of friends. Do any of the veteran and skilled PvPers here have interest in welcoming those that are interested in getting back into PvP? I know about the PvP university already but really only one guy welcoming others into the community and only 6 at a time at that isn't really going to get the ball rolling. I have two friends that I brought with me to this shard who are also going to get back into the fray. Any advice/suggestions are welcome on the best ways to get myself into the community. I have a 3x fencing dexer right now but I also want to build a couple mages. I really just want to try to get to know the community a bit more and start to get more involved (in both PvM and especially PvP) once my characters are up to par. I am already enjoying my stay here and hope to have many good times in the future. Nice to meet you all. :)
    Basoosh likes this.
  2. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Hey welcome to UOR. One avenue in getting to know the community is through the duel pits. Not only is this going to bring you up to speed with elite wizard combat, you will get to know people and get a better idea of what is going on in the faction scene. Just say irc #Uorpvp that you are looking for 5x or 7x duels.

Apart from duels, your only real avenues are trying to pick it up from CTF matches, or just get out there and get your butt handed to you for awhile and they say you can learn that way.
    Clouds likes this.
  3. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

By get a better idea of the faction scene he means you'll be bombarded with anti SL propaganda until you're acceptably indoctrinated
  4. amfeKk

amfeKk Well-Known Member

Don't change this thread to a flame..

Welcome to the server.. I recommend finishing your characters and supplying your self with enough resources and gold before attempting to PvP. It can be frustrating but take this time to famaliarize yourself with the mechanics and the players here. Most are willing to work with new players and if you ever have any questions feel free to PM me in IRC.

amfeKk
    Clouds likes this.
  5. Clouds

Clouds New Member

Thanks for the replies. I am definitely not planning on getting into the action until I finish up a few of my characters and establish myself. AmfeKk you answered my questions perfectly and I appreciate your offer. I will most likely take you up on that sometime. You gave me the general info that I wanted to know concerning the more experienced players. El Horno, thanks for the tips. I will most certainly give each a try once I am established(though field PvP is really where my heart is). Glad to hear there are people here who are willing to help the new players out. It's been a long time but I will get back to the action eventually. My main in game right now is named Cloud. As for SL and the other factions. I will just let my in-game encounters with the players determine my opinions. Forum battles are hardly the place to find out what it's really like out there. Hope to make some friends and find many battles out there in the future!
  6. Mindless

Mindless Well-Known Member

Welcome Clouds.

Always glad to see another PVPer arrive on the scene. The PVP community here seems to be growing slowly but surely.

If you're ever looking for someone to just do battle with a few times (duels or field fights, whatever floats your boat) without fear of being ganked/looted let me know.
    Clouds likes this.
  7. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

No one is trying to flame, just a dose of reality. I hope to see you join in the action clouds, if you need any help funding your training or a place to macro let me know. Kane in IRC
    Clouds likes this.
  8. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

Welcome to UOR! Make sure you check out the guides in the forums and come hang out in the main IRC channel.
    Clouds likes this.
  9. Lord Krake

Lord Krake Well-Known Member

Bump, so we dont have to see the bot spam.
    Clouds likes this.
  10. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

He didn't say RP you nerds, get outta here. :p

Just kidding. Welcome aboard Clouds. As has been said, settle in, hop on IRC and ask any questions you may have. We're always down to help.
    Clouds likes this.
  11. Artex

Artex Well-Known Member

Welcome to UOR! Good to see another pvper joining the fray. MB does crazy damage here so watch your stats.
    Clouds likes this.
  12. Clouds

Clouds New Member

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. See you all out there soon and in IRC.
    amfeKk likes this.
  13. Pegbyter

Pegbyter Active Member

Hey Clouds, Welcome aboard the server, Glad to have you here...
    Clouds likes this.
  14. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Basoosh, Clouds, Tuco and 2 others like this.
  15. Mindless

Mindless Well-Known Member

I tried to hand over my keep to you last night; but it was a shit show... my friends killing me (and anyone who stepped close to the sign) so I couldn't transfer... haha... fun times.

Find me today; I'll lace you up with an awesome house.
    Clouds likes this.
  16. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

You've got good friends!
    Bogugh and Clouds like this.
  17. Pegbyter

Pegbyter Active Member

Hey Vlar!!! I got one thing to say to you!!

Thank you for being a friend
    Traveled down the road and back again
    Your heart is true you're a pal and a confidant

And if you threw a party
    Invited everyone you ever knew
    You would see the biggest gift would be from me
    And the card attached would say thank you for being a friend.

Where's Estelle Getty when you need her?
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
    Basoosh likes this.
  18. newme

newme Well-Known Member

Hi Cloud and welcome to UOR.

Some of you will laugh, (Westra reading the pvp threads, lol )
    Serious, I'm not a pvper Cloud....but my two cents in, if you don't mind.
    From my point of view there are many things for the pvper here. Even if you don't wish to murder innocents. CTF. The staff is also putting in a new dueling thing in the event center.( believe this is almost done testing, if not finished)
    Factions... Some player run events. One biggy is the Friday Night Fights. and a couple dueling pits out of town, if you wish to challenge someone/people to a duel/s. Plus, whatever guild wars might be going on.
    Of course there is also plenty for the pvm play style; actually for every play style.
    So giant welcome aboard and hope you and your friends have many years of fun times here

Westra
    Clouds and Mindless like this.