New to the server and need help with House Placement question

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Saphireena, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Saphireena

Saphireena Member

G'day folks!

Short version: After placing a house and demolishing it (say you placed it on the wrong spot), how soon can I try placing it again? Is there a delay?

Long version: So it's been years since I've played UO and I've now started up a wee character on this fine server. I've never played on a free shard before and I understand that player run shards might have variations in how the game technically works. So I'm not sure what the rules are for UOR as far as house placement delays go.

Anyhow today I finally gathered up enough funds to place a villa. So off I went to try and place it. What I was expecting was that before the house would actually be built, there would be some sort of UI element asking if I'm sure I want to place it there, with a cancel or confirmation option. But alas... instead, the house plonked right into the spot without any warning or confirmation request. The problem is, that I was just experimenting and didn't actually want it in that exact location. So now I would like to demolish it, get my deed back and try again. But if there is a delay, I'm nervous about doing that and I'm wondering if I should now just settle for this spot.
    One likes this.
  2. Kash

Kash Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

There is no delay, the deed will go right into your pack on demolition.
    Saphireena likes this.
  3. Saphireena

Saphireena Member

Ah thank you so much, what a relief!

*curtseys politely*
  4. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

perhaps it didnt place where u wanted because ur screen was not in the upper left hand corner of the window. It has to be actually UNDER the "map-paperdoll-inventory" thingamajig. Like this :
    upload_2018-9-21_8-9-49.png
    Jill Stihl likes this.
  5. Saphireena

Saphireena Member

Ah no El Horno, it was more a case of not understanding where the target is located for a 2-story villa since the stairs are off the SE corner. But it was right in the middle of the front stairs. My house is now placed in a spot I'm very happy with, yay!

Thank you regardless for going to the trouble to show where the problem might be! <3
  6. Me Want Food

Me Want Food Member

Saphireena likes this.
  7. Saphireena

Saphireena Member

Thank you MeWantFood :). Yes I've been reading that very carefully and I did set up my keys to be on the door and it's working fine. I also detect hidden before entering. However, I'm still on the fence as to whether I want to bother with the table set up or not though as my house is in a really peaceful area.

Here's what I don't get though: If my stuff in my house is locked down and secured, is it not safe from thieves? Or is there some special rule on the server allowing thieves to steal locked down items?
  8. Saphireena

Saphireena Member

Oh and just a random unrelated question, but something I immediately noticed coming to the server. Why can't I hear those charming jungle ambient sounds like on the official servers? What is it, crickets or something like that. I really miss those! Is it related to Razor settings somehow?

Oh and another thing came to mind. Why is the night time lighting pitch black (except for light sources). It forces me to use "Light levels" option in Razor and I would so much rather prefer seeing cozy night time lighting. I'll use one of my old UO pictures as a reference. I'm assuming again that I simply have some settings messed up? Razor?

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  9. Earsnot

Earsnot Well-Known Member

Secure containers can't be opened by anyone unless they're friended or co owner.

Locked down containers can be opened by anyone.

Locked down items cannot be taken.

Items do not decay if left on the floor of your house here either. Which is bitter sweet.

If you don't build a table wall you will at some point in your time here - wish that you had of built a table wall.

Welcome!
  10. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

11. Me Want Food

Me Want Food Member

correct me if I'm wrong.

if a chest is locked down meens that they cant grab the chest, but they can open it and grab the stuff inside rigth.
  12. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

I personally abhor the table wall setup because it takes away from the atmosphere of the game in a personal residence. Some get creative though with fences and make foyers of sorts.
    In my opinion, table walls would be better used in a separate storage shed or vault room in a larger house. As long as you keep your valuables locked down / in secure containers you'll be fine. Reveal often though with detect hidden!
    Saphireena likes this.
  13. Me Want Food

Me Want Food Member

a table wall isn't nessesary if you stand next to door, detect hidden and if noone there, unlock, move one step inside and close and lock again.

buuuuut, some day you have a bad day and meet a good thief and or forgot to lock, then you regret not putting up that table wall :)

Be safe out there.
    Saphireena likes this.
  14. Saphireena

Saphireena Member

Thanks so much everyone for the advice! Just to clear something up however...

So secures are safe, locked down items are safe, however what you're saying is that any items contained within a locked down container are freely taken by anyone who gets into the house? :-o And even if they are locked, they can be lockpicked. So essentially, locked down (not secured) containers behave like they would in any of the crates found in cities where thieves go to practise their skills.

And interesting to know that stuff that is not locked down, does not decay inside a house!!!! Locking everything down is very deeply built into me haha so at least for now, I'm still doing that. But yeah, that would kind of explain why house security is such a big deal on this server!

Exaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaactly!!!!!!!!!! That is exactly why I really can't bring myself to set up ugly barriers. It completely kills the cozyness and immersion.

So what's the worst case scenario if all the decorations are locked down and I store stuff only in the secure containers?

Oh and btw I also forgot to say that I made a "security alt" who will always be logged off at the house, in case my main has been killed somewhere and I have to quickly change the locks or ban people.
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  15. Saphireena

Saphireena Member

Oh and one more random question: Back on the OSI shards, having a boat was a self evident thing. Why am I not seeing very many boats parked along the shorelines on this server?

Pirates?

And if I remember correctly, you could lock the ramp of your ship, then recall from the "ship key" in a secure place. Is that the case on this server?
  16. Saphireena

Saphireena Member

Holy hell guys. About that lovely charming jungle ambient sound. I looked it up on YouTube to show what I mean and I kid you not, ALL of the MODERN videos of UO (regardless of what shard, whether they were with the legacy or enhanced client) - NONE of them had the jungle sound!!!

I did however find this video from 2011 that still had it. What the heck has happened to it? Anyone know?

17. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

Worst case scenario of not going the table wall route but having your goods secured is a home invasion and getting pk'd, but unless you're in a pvp guild and have pissed someone off to that point you probably wouldn't have a problem with someone doing that lol.

Pirating.... not so much anymore with tracking changes, but I'd imagine most people don't park their boats because of forgetting to refresh them (like me).

I think music versions changed throughout the various incarnations of UO maybe.... but I know you might be able to find a lot of them in the installation folder. One thing you could do is just find a good jungle music mp3 from youtube and rename it to overwrite one of the ultima music files. As far as when certain ones are triggered, I have no idea but the "old ult.mp3"s i believe are randomized.
    Saphireena likes this.
  18. NCCML

NCCML Well-Known Member

You will end up using some locked down containers, since a container that is locked down no longer has a weight limit.

So for bulk things like regs, or resources, you either lock the stack down, or use a locked down container.

Secure containers have the normal weight limit applied to them, so you can't secure a heavy reg box, or ingot or board box, etc.

It's best to keep your locked down containers behind an interior locked door. That way, even if somebody sneaks in, they can't get to anything anyway.
    Saphireena and PaddyOBrien like this.