New to Ultima... 30 years later.

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Daenial, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Daenial

Daenial Member

Good time of the day fellow adventurers,

Not sure if I post into a right section (hope I do!). New player here, never played UO before, but a veteran MUD player since early 90ies, and - should I not admit that here? - WoW veteran. Drove to here in search for mature community and a good company to share the time with, which is not happening in bigger and more contemporary MMO's anymore. Therefore, hello to everybody, I would really appreciate if there is somebody out there with a newbie-friendly mature guild/community that I could join to learn the game and to feel not too lonely cutting bullfrogs and rats while gathering cotton in the early stages!

Kind regards,
    Daenial.
    Jesus Is King, ReZon, One and 7 others like this.
  2. Jill Stihl

Jill Stihl Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Welcome aboard. UO is great - really hard for a while but once it comes together there's little else like it. The majority of folks here are decent enough and the server is run well.

http://uorforum.com/forums/ProjectSanctuary/

^They're a new player helping guild, probably worth a post.

IRC is good also for faster help/advice and the occasional humour -

irc.chat4all.org
    Port: 6667
    Channel: #Renaissance
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    Daenial, RiffRaff- and Hawkeye like this.
  3. Jill Stihl

Jill Stihl Well-Known Member

I'd also recommend ignoring any advice to spend days macroing up this/that/whatever skills, just for a little while. Go out there and explore, die, learn, have fun.
    Daenial, Blendax, NCCML and 2 others like this.
  4. Buga

Buga Well-Known Member

Welcome,

I would recommend to make use of Young player program: http://uorforum.com/threads/renaissance-new-player-program.2053/ within Ocllo, this is a handicap that you get when you make your account and it lasts for a while.
    Monsters won't attack you if you don't attack them, players cannot attack you either. So you can feel more comfortable exploring the island (Ocllo) without major dangers.

Join IRC, there is a web client embedded in the homepage www.uorenaissance.com

upload_2019-4-22_15-42-21.png

Enjoy! :D
    Daenial, Hawkeye and Jill Stihl like this.
  5. Delstrudo

Delstrudo Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Daenail! UOR is a great shard, having joined just last year I've come to really appreciate the community here. Number one rule - have fun! Find out what tickles your fancy and run with it, there's no right or wrong way :)

Forums are great resource so if you've got questions do some searching and if you don't find answers start a new thread!
    Daenial and NCCML like this.
  6. Daenial

Daenial Member

Thanks for advice folks, will definitely take a look at this guild. I'm indeed currently on young player programme, but the game mechanics aren't that hardcore if you used to play MUD, so I'm getting a grip on them ;) Indeed, no macro grinding, mostly trying to figure out how different aspects work. Not having IRC (won't, don't like it!), but joined the Discord instead, it seems quite populated as well. Hope to see ya'll around the game as well. So far the game looks fun, hope community will appear even better.
    Delstrudo likes this.
  7. Thelax

Thelax Well-Known Member

Its just unfortunate the actual staff is only on IRC its the only server supported chat program at the moment.
    Daenial likes this.
  8. Buga

Buga Well-Known Member

Yeah IRC is rough, but it completes the experience to teleport you to 1999' hahah
  9. Miami

Miami Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

If you need a house, please hit me up, I have a ton! I'll give you they keys and a rune to the place so you have somewhere to stash your loot aside from your bank box.

Definitely make a couple templates after searching the forums for best templates for a new player and start macroing. You're going to be exploring regardless.

Welcome to UOR
    Daenial and Jill Stihl like this.
  10. Daenial

Daenial Member

Thank you for your offer, and warm welcoming, but won't be accepting free stuff ATM, want to learn, explore and achieve on my own. Will gladly join a guild or a group of players though. Is there a way to add friends/create groups in this game?
    One and Alvien like this.
  11. Miami

Miami Well-Known Member

Yes, the two scrolls next to your paperdolls feet will allow you to party up and befriend. @LanDarr just started a new players guild and he's well situated. It's barely a handout as there are tons of unused housing and everyone helps everyone for the most part. You're still gonna get killed by monsters and players alike despite anything.
    Daenial likes this.
  12. Darkwave Malice

Darkwave Malice Member

So, is there a discord server by chance?
    Daenial and RiffRaff- like this.
  13. RiffRaff-

RiffRaff- Active Member

Welcome Daenial, If I can help in anyway please ask.

This is in progress and there will be an official one, just not sure when.
    Daenial and Darkwave Malice like this.
  14. Thelax

Thelax Well-Known Member

Your cut from the cloth of a successful man here.
    One and Daenial like this.
  15. Pinky

Pinky Active Member

Welcome! Hope to see you around in Ocllo!
    Lightshade and Daenial like this.
  16. Daenial

Daenial Member

Such a great friendly welcome, I see this place might be very promising for what I'm looking for. Will indeed meet you in game :) Thank you for all the tips and welcome words.
  17. Leopold

Leopold Well-Known Member

Welcome! I've often wondered what this game looks/feels like to someone who never played it when it was the newest, hottest game out there (when most of us played). But 20 years later, no other MMORPG appeals to me except for this one. As Jill mentioned, P'S is a new-player friendly guild. There are also other great guilds that are welcoming to new players even if you are not a member. Send me a PM if you would like a couple of public discord server invites to make some friends.

There is no official UOR public discord as of right now for some very specific reasons as they pose a risk to the shard and additional moderation burdens. There is a thread somewhere discussing it, but basically due to the way Discord works, it opens up a few avenues for competing shards (which exist to make money for the owners) to attack UOR or siphon off players. The admin here has stated that they are considering it though, if they can get it set up properly.
    Daenial likes this.
  18. Blendax

Blendax Well-Known Member

I agree with @Jill Stihl ... don't worry about coming up with the 'perfect build' just yet. Go out and figure out your playstyle. You can have 3 accounts (15 characters total)... so try different things and enjoy!
    Orion GM BD and Daenial like this.
  19. AlexHell Slayer

AlexHell Slayer Active Member

Hi Daenial! People here are very helpfull. I was also given a gift shortly after I started here (somehing like one moth after). It was a check for 100k, which I accepted gladly. But by that time, I had already demolished my first small house and placed a small tower with a non young player. And let me tell you... NOTHING beats the entusiasm of fighting to make just enough money for your first home... and the excitement to place it! I remember the difficulty to carry things there since the toon owner of that tower came back into the young program.... so I had to use other toons to take my stuff there, because I couldn't go back to my own house (Occlo island has no more room for houses... bad terrain). My first real home (a small tower, now sold) was paid entirely by slaying orcs at Ocllo. They would probably drop their gold quietly now if they see me entering their fort ;)

As for the macroing.... my advice would be to do as I did: play on a new account from first day... and have two accounts macroing in the background. I remember facing a boss (Cupid) on my first or second week here, with a veteran friend.... having only 60 magery and 60 archery, a total badass newbie I was!!!
  20. Daenial

Daenial Member

I'll definitely send some guild messages once I feel a bit more confident around, community is what I'm up to! I am not much into macrioing background thing, in fact - I know that this is one of the aspects of the game that I for myself see as questionable, but perhaps I'll get into it as well. As for UO from the fresh perspective - it's fun. It reminds me a lot of my days spent in SlothMUD (which was my home since... I don't remember.... 1997?), and I think UO was called a graphic MUD rather than MMORPG for a reason - it has a lot of its aspects, that I still think make the game very addictive. The problem about all the contemporary MMORPGS I've played is in its concept of accessibility. You don't really have to look for workarounds the world to win it, you just need to follow the rules and they work for you, if you execute them efficiently, even on top level content. UO is more of a sandbox game, and most of the proto-online and even proto-offline RPG's were like that. I think the only game that compares a bit - not in terms of gameplay, obviously, but in terms of philosophy is Elite Dangerous - but it still hasn't developed decent multiplayer, although it's heading this way.
    Currently playing around with the warrior type of character, but will experiment more if I have time. Sad enough, I have a very busy professional life and don't have time to play too often!
    Hope to see ya'll in game!