New UOR Holiday Introduction: August 11th, International RavenMagi non-appreciation Day

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by snap dragon, Aug 12, 2017.

1. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

Ladies and gentlemen of Britannia,

Firstly, I want to thank you all for taking the time to read this message. I want to thank (almost) each and every member of our loving community here, who have been loving and supportive over the past few hours as the news of this tragic loss has been revealed. I suspect there are many of you here today, or perhaps many reading this post in the future, that never knew our dearly departed.

I began playing on this server a bit less than a year after it's launch, with only one easter event having taken place before my arrival. At that time, I was scouting the map heavily, and in my travels around all the landmarks on the classic UO map, I visited the Decaying Waterfalls. High above the grasp of players was a lone purple egg. It clearly spawned during the only easter event that had happened, the first on the server. I thought it was kind of funny, and remarked several times over the next few years that there was such an egg for people to get, only to have them try, and then complain that it remained unreachable.

After a long haitus from the server, I got back into marking interesting areas. Now, more familiar with the UOR specific mechanics, I had the means to get atop the waterfall, after being requested to by @Kirby I did just that. It's then that I finally got a close look at the purplest, most ancient egg on the server.

[​IMG]
    On June 8, 2017 Explorer "a papuan citizen" finally reaches the secret area to console the lone egg, that had laid in solitude for many years.

I reported my findings in my misc photos thread, and many would-be adventurers set out to see this historic UOR landmark for themselves.

The greyest of wizards, @Jupiter was the second to achieve success.

[​IMG]

With a bit of instructional help from a local papuan, famous Yew Vendor (of WYNB) fame @LanDarr reached the prize as well.

[​IMG]

Afterwards, I even instructed @El Horno and witnessed him visit this most sacred location in UOR history.

One thing all these visits had in common: The egg remained untouched. Everyone, in understanding of it's historical significance, left the egg in it's place.

This is why I am, on this day, writing you you.

All good things must come to an end.

[09:28:33] <Rav3n> is that area on the diseased tree still teleportable too?
    [09:28:44] <Rav3n> someone just gave me the rune, i couldn't figure it out lol

@RavenMagi had managed to access the sacred location. Due in no part to his (questionable) skill, but through the use of a given rune! At first, I thought "great", he also wants to learn the method to get here, and I would be happy to help.

I quickly recalled to the location expecting to walk Mr. Rav3n through the process of reaching the top of the most difficult mountain climbing one can do in UO. But then I noticed something horrific:

Warning:
    What you are about to witness is truly heart-breaking. Viewer discretion is advised. Please open this link in a new tab before scrolling and proceeding with the remainder of this forum post.

[​IMG]
    Yes, the egg has moved! Did it finally achieve sentience? No, surely there must be a more reasonable explanation.

[09:29:24] <Rav3n> yea my scavenger picked it up
    [09:29:33] <Rav3n> i put it back haha
    [09:29:40] <snap[cA]> it will decay now
    [09:30:00] <Rav3n> ohhh... shit. did i fuck up the special egg
    [09:30:06] <Rav3n> god damn it
    [09:33:21] <snap[cA]> ah you moved the eggs
    [09:33:27] <snap[cA]> I guess they were in your backpack too huh
    [09:33:52] <snap[cA]> when did this happen
    [09:37:53] <Rav3n> within the last hour
    [09:38:20] <Rav3n> its been on my scavenger since easter :/
    [09:38:34] <snap[cA]> You have killed a tradition 5 years in the making sir

Here is photographic proof of this domestic UOR terrorist disrespecting this important UOR landmark:
    [​IMG]

With the knowledge that the egg might decay at any moment, I quickly scooped it up for safe keeping. I would like to donate this item to @Jupiter , so that he can lock it away in the Villiage of Paws tower for safe keeping and further observation. It's of great historic significance to UOR and the UOR community. Perhaps it was even the bond that held us all together. I am afraid for what may happen in the coming days.

So it's with a heavy heart that I say to you, ladies and gentlemen of UOR, that today, we have lost a dear friend. Old Purpley, the greatest treasure many weren't even aware they had, has been unexpectedly removed from his rightful place. Whether you were good friends with Old Purpley, or mere acquanteces, I am sure you know as well as anyone how powerful of an impact he had on the community. The cA guild in particular would like to thank the many who have reached out with kind words, hugs, and shoulders to cry on. After the pages and pages of tears and reflection on all the beauty that Old Purpley added to our lives in irc, @Chris stepped in and set up a fitting memorial:

I have included here, a screenshot of the memorial. I will not disclose how one may reach this upper area, for fear that Rav3n also have gravestones on his filthy villianous scavenger agent:

[​IMG]

In memory of old purpley, snatched away after 5 years of life

March 31 2013 - August 11, 2017​

♡♡ You will be missed deeply ♡♡
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  2. RIN

RIN Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

3. Remington

Remington Well-Known Member

This is one of the saddest things I have ever read. But as we all know, traditions come and go. Old ways die and new traditions are formed. While I do not know how long it has been around, I know that I have admired one brave and enduring soul for as long as I've been back on this server. And even Rav3ns semi-sentient server tradition wrecking scavenger agent can not touch him. I introduce you to our new symbol of enduring hope, Mr. Red.

[​IMG]
    MikeK, Hydrox, eherruh and 6 others like this.
  4. It'sallALark

It'sallALark Well-Known Member

How are you able to place a static item?
  5. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

This whole thing makes me sick. It's bad enough that Raven moved the egg, but he didn't even get up there on his own accord? Whoever provided the rune is equally responsible, and the UOR community demands to know who provided it. While the gravestone is a touching gesture, it does not bring back old purpley, and it does not ease the anger I am feeling right now towards Raven. Is this sort of behavior allowed on UOR?

Per the code of conduct:
    • • Treat other players in game and on the forums with respect.
    Was it very respectful to snatch old purpley from his rightful place and then leave him on the cold dirt floor to die a horrible despawn?
    Hadrian, TrojanCow, Zyler and 6 others like this.
  6. Remington

I heard it was El Horno that gave him the rune. I think a trial is in order at the hall of justice. "The estate of old purpley vs El Horno".
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  7. Remington

Its says in the post "@Chris stepped in and set up a fitting memorial:"
    newme and snap dragon like this.
  8. Xegugg

Xegugg Well-Known Member

9. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member

This is so sad. I was proud to be a part of such a joyous tradition considering my relatively short time here.

RIP (in your new location) Old Purpley
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  10. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member

@snap dragon if you aren't able to get ahold of @Jupiter in time, I would be happy to add Old Purpley to the BlackEye Memorial Rose Garden on my tower roof.
  11. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

12. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

"Perhaps it was even the bond that held us all together. I am afraid for what may happen in the coming days."

Aye, it seems that Our Times as we know it might have come to an end! I'm glad however, to hear that the old geezer Jupiter the gray will receive Old Purpley for safe-keeping and further investigation. Who knows, maybe Purpley will hatch and reveal to us some great secret? Or will Purpley hatch and go Old Testament on our asses in judgemental rage for being moved?
    Hadrian, Jupiter, newme and 1 other person like this.
  13. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

That made me laugh so hard. But then the sadness comes back. RIP old purpley!
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Hadrian, newme and snap dragon like this.
  14. Duz-luk

Duz-luk Active Member

...the sadness overwhelms me. :( Just why? Old Purpley does not deserve this indignant fate. It belongs in the wild, to be free among the wisps and mongbats, breathing in the mountain air like it has for millennia.
  15. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

@chumbucket I believe we have a case on our hands.
    newme, snap dragon and Hoominaga like this.
  16. newme

newme Well-Known Member

Only the Gods of UOR can do that. They guard their power well, so well, that some would not even recognize a god if that divine chose to walk the world.

Such a great, tragic tale. Alas Old Purpley is not forgotten.

Thank you Snap for sharing it. You do Old Purpley honor.

Marjo: Governess of Wispfelt Village

Westra on IRC
  17. scuba

scuba Well-Known Member

18. Spankrox

Spankrox Active Member

A truly sad day...
    Whilst emotions were high, I nervously managed to calm myself to ask @Chris to do the only thing that would help people through the greif process.
    Thank you once again for your help, Chris.
    [​IMG]
  19. TrojanCow

TrojanCow Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

America is famously polarized. In many senses, so is the world.

But here we have found that ONE elusive thing, that one idea greater than us that all can agree is worth beating our swords back into ploughshares for:

the old purple egg of love and harmony

*strikes up the choir as a human chain forms around a pixel grave*

SING!

SING!

SINNNNGG!

20. Aragorn - OCT

Aragorn - OCT Well-Known Member

As the Dark Octopus guild has always maintained the deep purple as it's color, I feel a personal affinity for our dearly departed. In remembrance, and in solidarity of this event, I offer tribute to all who wish to pay homage at Aragorn's humble cabin near Cove and feel that special stirring of peace that only this little egg unknowingly (?) brought to our lives.

*bows*

AragornOCT_8-15_07.46.jpg
    Hadrian, snap dragon and PaddyOBrien like this.