Newbie Questions RE partial skills/template testing

Discussion in 'PvP Discussion' started by Anastasis, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Anastasis

Anastasis New Member

Hello all. I'm still finding my way around here, and had a few newbie skill questions related to my pvp template imaginations. A lot of these could probably be resolved with test center, but I'm so much of a noob that I don't know how to set skills and do a proper test. Could someone either answer these questions, or tell me how to find the answers on test center?

1. Does the Magery skill add damage as well as percentage chance to cast a given spell? Could one, e.g., have 80.1 or less magery and 100 eval, and use scrolls on occasion with no damage penalty compared to GM magery/Eval? What would be the difference in terms of damage lost? Would there be some other difference I'm not thinking of?
    2. How much of a difference would it make to reduce Resist from 100 to 80, or to 60, in terms of damage taken, spells resisted?
    3. How much does one lose having 80 stealth, rather than GM, when it comes to being detected? Is 80 stealth most efficient for a char who never wears anything but leather, given it guarantees success, assuming one does not care about maximum protection against detection?
    4. How much of a difference does GM med make compared to 80 Med in mana/sec?
    5. Would having GM wrestling and 80 Anat generate a 45% chance of success for stun, rather than 50%?

Thanks for your time!
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

Welcome to the shard Anastasis! I'll do my best to help answer your questions, if I make a mistake hopefully one of the other players will correct me.

Details to the test server can be found here, though it's not always up.

Magery will typically add damage (and healing!) to most spells, some spells are unique (i.e. Mindblast) but for the most part the calculation factored uses Magery to determine damage. I cannot tell you the exact numbers, but the difference is significant in PvM/PvP between having 80.1 magery and GM.

A successful resist reduces the damage you take from a spell (i.e. half damage for Mindblast), reducing your resist will only decrease the chance of resisting a spell.

I believe that at 80 stealth you will only be able to move 8 tiles before having to restealth, the detect hidden check is made against the users DH vs the targets hiding skill. At GM vs GM it's a 50/50 chance of detecting a hidden player.

I don't have exact numbers, but it's significant. GM med will also increase your chances of successfully meditating when on lower mana, so unless you like failing med attempts at 50~ mana, it's advised to GM it.

I could be wrong, but I thought it was 40%? (Assuming you land the hit)
  3. Crunk Juice

Crunk Juice Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

To me, it seems like you are spreading your 700 points across to many skills. Stealth pks were great back in the day, not so much here. The automatic self reveal and ethereal delay has nerfed them here. What template are you trying to create? From your questions seems like a stealthing stun mage navy seal commando :). I think unless you are using Margery to heal, cure, recall, magic reflection you should GM it. For example, at 80 Margery you have a 35% chance to cast a 7th level spell vs. GM Margery has a 85% chance. 2-4 fizzles when your trying to gate out will either be very frustrating or get you killed. See below link for the spell % calculator.

https://uo.stratics.com/content/skills/magery.php

Next I would check this link.

First one is the resistance chance calculator.
    http://www.uosecondage.com/stratics/UOSS_Resist_Calculator.htm

I would have no less than 90 resist on any toon that you will have any pvp interaction with. You can read Pork Fried Rice how to be a successful PK guide about that also.
    My recommendation would be to GM 7 skills or GM 6 and do a 50/50 on the last. For example I have a 6x dexxer with 50 Margery/ 50 hiding. You can have 3 account and you will have 14 other chars to make.
  4. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome!

You've already got some solid gold advice from two veterans here so I'm only posting to mirror and agree that info.

You don't need to make 1 SUPER CHARACTER/Navy Seal Commando ( proper lol'd at that @Crunk Juice)

Spread the skills and play style amongst dedicated characters and I'm confident that in the long run you'll have more fun and success than one character who just about manages to scrape through situations.

Good luck!
  5. Anastasis

Anastasis New Member

Thanks guys for the replies. Yes indeed, I am thinking of a stealth stun mage pvp build. But it seems a difficult one to make, given the limitations. Really appreciate your time and thought.
  6. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Well-Known Member

Hiding
    Stealth
    Magery
    Med
    Tactics
    Wrestling
    Resist

Your spells are going to obviously be weaker than people with Eval, but if this is the character you want to build and play then do it buddy, seems like a fun dungeon crawling troublemaker to me!

Sosaria's your oyster!
  7. Duz-luk

Duz-luk Active Member

If you're gonna be in the shadows and manna dumping folks, might as well triple box with this setup

magery, med, eval, wrestle, anatomy, hide, stealth

Forget resist, who cares about dying in a fight, you're just there on the off chance to catch someone with their pants down and sync dump them. Don't carry anything valuable, hell don't even wear leather armor
    Cheapsuit and Sheepdog like this.
  8. Duz-luk

Duz-luk Active Member

Name them Boogeyman Sr, Boogeyman, and Boogeyman Jr and give them newbie outfits, 3 full spell books, and a bunch of regs

you're good to go
  9. RIN

RIN Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

All I will add to this, is when Tracking was recently re-worked (or nerfed depending on your point of view) I believe stealth is also considered when determining if the Tracker finds the Trackee.
  10. Cheapsuit

Cheapsuit Well-Known Member

Why tactics over eval?
  11. Cheapsuit

This actually sounds exciting. had a kind soul offer to teach me magery pvp, I think I'm gonna take him up on it now. This sounds like the next best thing to stealth poison dexxer.
  12. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

There are exactly 2.5 viable PvP templates here

one is a stun/heal mage
    one is a stun/scribe mage
    one is a dexxer

I'll leave it to you to figure out which one is the fraction.

G'luck
  13. Cheapsuit

What about the hybrid?