Newcomer with questions about pvp

Discussion in 'PvP Discussion' started by Noscif, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Noscif

Noscif New Member

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about starting to play uo once again on this shard when i'll get home tonight. Last time I played this wonderful game was on Novus Opiate Selectorum a long tome ago. The most fun I've had was 1v2 2v2 2vX and ganking in bucc/occlo. How does PvP work on this shard ? Is it mainly magery with harm, lightning, flame strike or melee oriented? How is the pvp community?

Thanks,

For those who played on NOS, my name waz Leviathan
  2. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

More magery-oriented, because leather armor is pretty strong here (with no med penalty) and mages have the stun special ability.

Mind Blast is pretty important as a spell, as is Poison. And the stat buff/debuffs.

Community is much the same as any other UO PvP community.
    Blaise and Noscif like this.
  3. Noscif

Noscif New Member

Thank you very much for your answer Dalavar, sound like i'll have to adapt to a new kind of PvP, which is going to be fun. On my previous server PvP was mainly waiting on a good hit from BA or Bardiche as an opening to switch on offense (magery) as far as 1v1 went
  4. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Welcome to UO Renaissance Noscif
    Noscif likes this.
  5. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Tank mages are pretty few and far between here. A Halberd hits about as hard as a Large Battle Axe in the hands of a GM Lumberjacker, so the only reason to use the Axe and spend the 100 skill points is if you need the better speed factor.

For a tank mage like you describe, I have seen Archer-Mages and Fencing-Mages (wait for a paralyzing blow and then unload). Fencing mage is actually very effective in Capture the Flag games. But spear stun happens on 1 out of 4 hits (and hits are 50% chance) so it's like 1/8 swings. Compare to Stun Mage who can successfully stun on 50% of attempts. Fencer gets a 10-20 HP head start, but much less frequent stuns.
    Kane and Noscif like this.
  6. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Welcome !

Im not very good but I run with a mace-mage on CTF and get my share of kills and fun. Go with a template you are comfortable with, then adjust it.
  7. Noscif

Noscif New Member

Thanks for all the replies
  8. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Stun/Heal Mages are some of the more popular templates but dexxer action has been picking up. Your standard Mage/Med/Eval/Resist/Wrestle (5xGM) is what most folks start with, then just pick your other two skills to turn them into a healer, stun puncher, scribe, etc.

There's really a ton of template variety here and ton of helpful folks willing to explain everything they can about it.

The community has its fair share of heated contention so that's a pretty sure sign that it's your average UO PvP community. Good luck out there and be sure to pop in IRC to ask questions and get answers faster.

Welcome to Renaissance!
    Noscif likes this.