Night of Horrors Challenge Event - Halloween 2015

Discussion in 'Shard News' started by Chris, Oct 7, 2014.

1. otterslide

otterslide New Member

One more question, what counts as a kill??.. You say kill him to win the event.. is it the last shot, or whoever gets most points?

I've seen that I get 0 kills in the event a few times, but I know for sure I got kills and I was the one doing the damage very last... This is on a skeleton.
    I'm guessing it's whoever gets most points?

Also, I never even been behind the castle.. do the Acolytes have to die for this part or just Balam?....
  2. Athena

Athena Active Member

Just Balam needs to die, a kill in this sense would be a win for everyone at the event. If you personally want the points all that matters is that you did the most damage to the monster when it dies. So getting the last shot does not matter all that matters is if you personally did the most damage. Then you'll get points for that kill.
  3. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

(Edited to remove strong language)

Yesterday I took my daughter to her school's Harvest Festival. She got to play games, see friends, eat good food. Fun was had by all. But at the end we had to go home and she whined for 15 minutes. I finally stopped her and reminded her of what a good time she had and that she should be grateful that we took her, that her school went to so much trouble to put this all together for her and her friends. I also told her that she should say Thank You to me and her dad for taking her.
    Thank you, Chris, for all of your hard work on this and every other event you do on this shard. I know that it's been a HUGE amount of work and that your time is 100% volunteered. This event has always been one of my favorites. I enjoy doing it repeatedly and trying different things each time to see what works best. I would be very disappointed if it were to go away.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
    Fraggle, Halabinder, Artex and 7 others like this.
  4. LanDarr

LanDarr Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor

Yeah thanks Chris, I do appreciate the events, but some shit has to change.

What sucks is showing up to an event early, ready to go, patiently waiting for it to start.

Then its delayed... and in that delay 20 more people show up.. wait patiently for the gate

Gate opens... you get in... wait patiently

Book is completely covered and by the time its revealed, EVENT FULL

Why the 2 factor Join? Why not open the gate on time, let those in that get there on time... or early for that matter. Let them hit the book, or eliminate the damn thing.

Start the damn event late if you need to, but for fucks sake don't penalize those that showed up early or on time.

Great that you offered to run a second event right afterwards, but I plans after the event and planned on attending that event, made all the necessary arrangements, bribed the wife, walked the dog early... etc... and got locked out. I would be much less pissed if everything went off on time and was beaten out by the luck of the draw, but that delay is what enabled about 20 more to show up and overfill the event
  5. MrCandyMan

MrCandyMan Active Member

I feel your pain man, same thing happened twice to me so far. I was upset at first, as you should be, but then after I cooled off I realized that there are plenty of other opportunities to try to make the event. I am sorry if this was your only opportunity.

Just remember that Chris is human just like us. He may need to delay the openings at times. And if he is not there to start the event, how will it get started on time anyway?

That's my two cents...
    Jupiter likes this.
  6. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

I think you are misusing the word "penalize". There is no penalty. You have the same chance as everyone else.

Why is everyone complaining about having plans and not being able to make the event? By definition, if you choose to follow your plans instead of attending the event, it means you'd prefer to follow your plans. I don't see what the problem is.
  7. otterslide

otterslide New Member

Happened to me too the in the beginning. Only thing I can think of is if it's possible for Chris to figure out a way to schedule the gate opening and book showing without him being around.. but I have no idea about UO programming.. If I were to program it, I would open the gate and have the book on display exactly at the specified time.. same for CTF. That way nobody can complain they couldn't sign up on time.. but they'd just have to wait around in the event lobby if indeed it's delayed.

Also even if he can't make it to start the actual event , we can have a gate inside the event after joining to just quit and come back... I seen someone yelling they want to get out and had no way leave.. or they may had been joking.
  8. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

If it weren't 2 steps people would afk join the entire thing. Also there is NO NEED to attend every one of these events. If you get locked out once, how are you gunna get upset when your given so many other opportunities to try the event at least once. Just seems ungrateful.
  9. LanDarr

LanDarr Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor

I am over it. There are other events planned and I will try to attend those. This was only the 2nd one that I had time to attend. I am sure there is a 3rd or 4th time that fits my schedule. These events are fun and people WANT to attend them. When they cant attend many due to IRL matters, the times that they can attend become all that more special.

It was a rant sure, but notice I did not call staff or people names or denigrate the event itself. Re-read it and avoid jumping to conclusions. There is a flaw with the attendee limitation and how the events start. I believer Chris even said that this is the last one that will have an attendee limit.
  10. Lando

Lando Member

I like the way the event plays out. I look at joining the event as another rush, like looting corpses in NoH. Everyone has a chance. Aside from being AFK when the gates opened, I've never had a problem joining the event. When the gate opens, there is a clock on the wall that tells you exactly when the book will spawn. It spawns ON TOP of everyone, as in a few levels above and is colored a specific hue(orange last night). All you have to do is get through the green portal, look at the clock and when it says 0 minutes, stand near the table, double click the book, then click Join.

These events are epic and I can't wait for tonight's!

But a huge event without a cap would be fun. I can't remember the server, but they would have a gauntlet night where everyone could join, and the goal was to run through the maze and get to the end in a certain amount of time. That would be a great event you wouldn't have to cap players with.
  11. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Back on UOSA there were Monster Bashes where everyone could show up, decked out in all their best gear and just go smash the faces off of increasingly difficult waves of monsters (nothing boss-like, just your normal spawn stuff). It peaked I think with balrons and dragons or something and I think everyone got a little 2 bit trophy for playing. Not sure on high scores or whatever but it was a shit-ton of fun and the only people bitching were griefers anyway because they couldn't shit on everyone's day.

I like the challenge of start with nothing and scavenging around but there's something to be said for an occasional event that just lets everyone go rock their most awesome stuff and have a good time without any tension over potentially getting your brief window of game time ruined.
  12. MikeK

MikeK Well-Known Member

Blaise that sounds like a ton of fun, could probably implement all sorts of scenarios
  13. Brymstone

Brymstone Well-Known Member

I'd like to see a monster maze survival event. Get dropped into a maze filled with baddies, traps and secret rooms.You have to try and find your way out while collecting weapons and resources as you battle hordes of creatures :)

Oh, and have the maze change each time it runs.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    Halabinder and Jack of Shadows like this.
  14. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

The monster bash was my favorite event on volder. It seemed more geared towards bards, but I dunno, it was a great game.
  15. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

I think my favorite event for Halloween would be a spooky story contest.
    Jupiter, Dalavar and Halabinder like this.
  16. Halabinder

Halabinder Well-Known Member

When I look back on the last two weeks, what stands out most for me was the fact that I was absolutely sure that the Black Knight would not be defeated. I didn't think people had it in them to coordinate the kind of an effort that would be required to take him out. As I put it earlier in this thread, it was PANDEMONIUM. Then the Pandemonium boarded the Hype Train and the Knight went down twice in a row. http://uorforum.com/threads/lets-wi...s-event-hype-train-activated.7393/#post-58960

I was fucking blown away. I really was. You see shit like that in the movies. That was an awesome thing to see. Multiple Smiths. People started bringing bards again even though bards won't score high in the event. Chaos turned to order and bosses went down.

I understand this does not address any of the issues with timing and events getting full and I actually understand where LanDarr is coming from. Most of us have busy lives and it is hard to make time for gaming. So when we make time for a specific window, we often have to shuffle a lot of stuff around to have peaceful game time. It should be understandable that we get a little peeved when the window changes and now our day is a mess.

We are all reliving our childhood/teen years/early adulthood dreams being here. The Staff included. The same way most of us can't spend all our time playing computer games like we used to, the Staff can't spend unlimited resources (in the eyes of the average man) running this project because they are not EA Games or Blizzard. I am pretty sure the event had to have a limit because they were afraid it would crash otherwise. I never had any issues with the event itself to be honest. I just don't like things I can't beat and I was getting frustrated that "we" weren't going to beat the fucking thing. I was frustrated at myself for failing to beat the event not failing to come first.

I like a lot of the ideas posted above for events including the one El Horno just posted right now. Keep them coming, Staff and Players. Just always strive to be constructive. Even when complaining!

Love - Peas and Harmony. And don't forget to tip your PK. If you're dead, they're good at the services they offer.
    Faber, Jupiter, Hawkeye and 4 others like this.
  17. Artex

Artex Well-Known Member

Great job on the Halloween event Chris! I have enjoyed every minute of it. Maybe a BOD like timer (to block the three account issue - not sure if an IP timer type scripting is even a possibility) would have helped with the complaining when it first started but, over all I'm glad you didn't add one. Like most things in UO if your slow you don't have a chance. Not the staffs fault your ISP and playing times don't allow you to keep up with others. I think the event times were carefully selected to let everyone have a shot at it. Staff - I know a few people complaining probably is discouraging just brush it off and keep the competitive system you have in place. We don't need a panzy non-scoring type system. People that top out all the time are ones who understand mechanics and what it takes to win - people watch follow learn, do as they do, build better templates. I like the possibility of cooperation this event poses and I'm glad the last boss requires it. Hopefully I can jump on the Hype Train for one of these events!
  18. Fraggle

Fraggle Well-Known Member

BIG THANKS FOR THE KILLER EVENT CHRIS!
    Avery, Halabinder and Hawkeye like this.
  19. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Halabinder likes this.
  20. Halabinder

Halabinder Well-Known Member

This is the only bandwagon I am proud to have jumped on in years.

PS: Can you please reduce your Bulk Reg Prices to that of your competitor next door at Yew Bank? it is breaking my brain to pay more even though I know it is in support of a good cause! (Only half joking, unless you own both vendor properties in which case the joke's on me)