Night of Horrors Challenge Event - Halloween 2016

Discussion in 'Shard News' started by Chris, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

LOL @ 04:07-04:09 that rat just pwned itself!

Nice work on the video, although I'd rather see more of the chicken case from the beginning!
    ElleFeyRa, Hoominaga and wylwrk like this.
  2. Soma Holiday

Soma Holiday Active Member

I heard this event has started? How do we join in?
  3. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Soma,

There are two "events" available to participate in. One is an "instanced event", meaning we will all meet at the event center and teleport in (likely to Britain) for a survival style horror event. There will be a schedule of when these are going to be available, soon.

The other is the "overworld event" which you can participate right now. The graveyards of Britannia will look a little different than we're used to and have special undead monsters randomly spawning in them. Beware though, some of these baddies are pretty tough.
    Black Tortoise, Rextacy and jumpman like this.
  4. Minax

Minax Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

What makes this event even more cool, is u suit up go start killing then get ganked by 4 reds dry looted and then they leave. Love this shard
  5. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

You've chosen Minax as your avatar. That ^ is not the attitude Minax would have chosen about the situation.

Rally your own army and get revenge... that's your damn M.O.!
  6. Minax

Minax Well-Known Member

Not for nothing but these events are only available once a year, just saying.... makes people not want to do them when all u do is get ganked dry looted and left there.
  7. jumpman

jumpman Well-Known Member

Relax... you're within the first 24 hours of a multi-week event that people have been looking forward to since 5th Anny.

The PK presence and frequency will drop by 500% after day 3. Stick with it.
  8. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

I'm running around on foot with an archer (no bard skills) and NO magery right now. I haven't been "murdered" but it's gonna happen.

Oh wells... in the interim I've earned myself 4 holiday coins and a trophy. It's cost me nothing as I'm using a travel gnome and craft my own bow/arrows.

Am I going to lead the pack this year in kills and pixels? F. no. I'm having fun though.

Ain't nobody gonna break-a my stride. Oh no.
    Zyler, The Watch, Rextacy and 2 others like this.
  9. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

what is this "having fun" you speak of? Can you show me a link to the "having fun" leaderboard so I can check to see how I am doing?
    PaddyOBrien, Gideon Jura and jumpman like this.
  10. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

DON'T STOP ME NOW

I'm havin' a good time

[​IMG]
    Fraggle, Crunk Juice, Rextacy and 2 others like this.
  11. The Watch

The Watch Well-Known Member

Some tips:

1) Don't run solo. Find a group to hunt with in these events or you're screwed. Safety in numbers and all.

2) Train up hiding. It takes about 2 days, if that, to hit GM. Then you can run a few screens off at the first sign of a red and hide. Recall from hidden is tough to stop.

3) Keep a recall scroll in your pack and don't be afraid to use it. This has gotten me out of many tight spots because I'm not ashamed to run.

4) Remember that this is a Felucca ruleset shard. No matter who you are or where you are, if you're outside the guard kill zone, you are at risk for PK action. That's part of the charm and the nostalgia, to be honest.

And last, but not least, keep in mind that major events, be they shard-run or player-run, will ALWAYS attract the attention of reds. That's just the nature of it. I was at a fight night once on another shard and someone gated in 32 (not lying I counted them as a ghost) white wyrms in the middle of the fight and dropped about 40 people. It was bedlam there for a bit, but it was also one of the most awesome things I've experienced in UO in nearly 2 decades of play.

PK's are part and parcel of this world. And I, for one, wouldn't love UO as much without the red scourge. I also would be happy to help assemble an old fashioned posse to go out and hunt some, if we can get like-minded people together, which is tough some times.

Just food for thought.
    compsays and Black Tortoise like this.
  12. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Active Member

^^^ this

not getting killed by PKs is a meta game. my score in it is very high, so believe me, its quite achievable.

as always, I welcome yall to try :)
    The Watch likes this.
  13. Lumbo

Lumbo Active Member

After 2+ hours the only time I got killed via PK was by a blue. Didn't see it coming.
    wylwrk likes this.
  14. Black Tortoise

* Magic Reflect
    * Para box
    * Paralyze-or-poison (or whatever interrupt you like, Magic Missile?) last attacker macro
    * Recall to guard zone macro

...are youre anti pk friends :)

Oh, and be real trigger happy on the recall to guard zone macro. Like, its worth it to make it so easy you accidentally trigger it sometimes.

Dont ever, ever have Magic Reflect down. Hide while its timer resets. This is the second most important of the anti PK disciplines. The first is awareness of other player's intentions - if you dont want to get caught, you cant take your eyes of the screen.

Follow The Way of That Which Cannot Be Caught

---

edit: just got pk'd cuz i tried to fight back with a bard ><
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    The Watch and wylwrk like this.
  15. Spankrox

Spankrox Active Member

That's too many steps.

Just know the PKs. ;)
  16. Black Tortoise

i think its easier to hit my recall macro as soon as i see a red name, than "get to know them" with my squishy bard. not sure theyre gonna just give me all their up to date info and stuff either.

course, the other side of that, is roll a stun mage or good dexxer, and one can then "get to know" the PK when one flees with bard, returns with pvp-er.
  17. compsays

compsays Active Member

No kidding. I zapped a few to see what was going on. HP of somewhere in the high 100s, less than 100 gold, unless I'm doing something wrong. No thanks.
  18. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Granted you could get lucky but overall the over world event is a long term game that rewards sticking it out for the long-haul.
  19. Lumbo

Lumbo Active Member

Most of the monsters only have 50-100 gold with a 1/100 chance or similar of getting a holiday coin.

Then there are the tougher monsters like blood necromancer, headless horseless man, royal mummy, the red skeletal knights and mages etc etc. Killing one of those guys will get you a for-sure holiday coin and about 1000 GP, plus roughly a 1/30 chance at whatever they drop. Vampires and blood necromancers drop statues, the red skeletons drop bloody bone shards and some other stuff, purple skeleton named revanant I think drops a shield. headless horseless man drops his severed head... etc etc. Those tougher monsters also have an increased chance of having a platinum coin as loot.
    compsays likes this.
  20. Lumbo

Lumbo Active Member

I've gotten a statue, bloody bone shards, and about 100 holiday coin on the overworld spawn since the event started. You just have to kill the guys with poor loot to get one of the cooler monsters to spawn and that's where the money is made.
    compsays likes this.