No greater love

Discussion in 'The Salty Dog Tavern' started by Oni Neaufire, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Oni Neaufire

Oni Neaufire Well-Known Member

Many of the denizens of this land we travel are very potent, whether in physical prowess, magical ability or both. Recently, this fact became evident on an excursion taken by a few members of our town. We were out taxing the local gentry {Monsters of the lower class and power. Dr. Jones, with his eagle eye, spotted a shiny glint sticking out of the ground. Being curious, we rode over to check out the spot. AS Dr Jones always carries his shovel, he started digging around the spot. More and more of the shiny object was uncovered as he dug. "It is a treasure trove," exclaimed Spethus. Eagerly we waited as Dr. Jones dug at a faster rate. You could see the gleam in his eye as he dug. Finally, the chest was unearthed. "It will be locked of course," in a matter-of-fact tone said Alesha. "Not a problem," said Dr Jones. He quickly flashed out his lockpick set. We all laughed heartily as he danced around the chest chanting some kind of unintelligible gibberish. He bent down in front of the chest and began to work the lock with his picks. Soon, the chest was creaking open and the sunlight glistened off the loot inside. The whole party began to smile, but the smiles quickly faded as guardian after guardian poured out of the chest, or so it seemed. "We have uncovered an enchanted chest," cried out Elma. Everyone tried to regroup quickly as the liches, ogres and demons spewed forth from the chest. I quickly began casting a spell to protect the party. As I threw the spell, I could see the liches attacking Dr. Jones. He had stepped in between them and me to draw their attention. The ogres and demons attacked Alesha, Elma and Spethas, and I could see they had their hands full. The full wrath of the liches came to bear on Dr. Jones. They were casting magic as fast as their ugly curses came forth from what used to be their mouths. Dr. Jones was fighting valiantly. One of the liches fell to our combined efforts, but the other one, full of vengeance, struck the Doctor. I was still recovery from the last spell I had thrown to fell the first evil entity, and was not fast enough to heal Dr. Jones. He was knocked back and down by the fury of the blast from the lich. I froze the lich with a spell and ran to the knocked out Dr. Jones. I had just enough energy to restore his strength and vitality. He arose slowly and shook his head as if to clear his mind. With the lich being frozen, I quickly retrained my eyes to find the other party members. I could see they had recovered somewhat and had taken several foes down. They were still fighting two ogres. These two massive creatures were causing much grief and havoc. The three knights were bloodied and bruised from having to go toe-to-toe with them. "Come Dr. Jones," i yelled as I grabbed his hand to help him onto my ostard. "Let's go help them. The efforts of Alesha, Elma and Spethus were not in vain. One of the ogres crashed to the ground with a massive thud from the combined effort of Alesha and Elma.. The whole earth seemed to stop and it shook violently. In a fit of rage, as it had seen its comrade go down, the other ogre began swinging much more violently. Spethus had been facing this giant alone and was hit full force in the chest and was knocked from his horse. "No," yelled Alesha and Elma at the same time as they thrust forward with their lances. They both skewered the ogre as he turned to face them. The lances drove deep and the ogre first groaned and then staggered back as the knights let go of their lances. He fell to the ground with the same earth shaking thud. Dr. Jones and I quickly dismounted and ran to Spethus. He was still knocked out by the massive blow of the ogre. I began to cast another spell of rejuvenation and played it over Spethus. Slowly, he started coming around. "Those ogres hit hard, dont they," I said to him. "Aye," was all he replied. A smile was starting to form on his lips. I knew he would be all right. The valiant, if not fool hardy action of Dr. Jones had saved my life. Spethus's valiant stand alone against the ogre, had kept the ogre from rampaging across the battle field allowing the rest of us to concentrate on bringing down the rest of our foes. Thank you Dr. Jones and Spethus for your sacrifice.
    No greater love than this that a man should lay down his life for his friends. Oni Neaufire_9-19_19.57.jpg Oni Neaufire_9-19_20.09.jpg Oni Neaufire_9-19_20.00.jpg Oni Neaufire_9-19_20.50.jpg
    Wise, Vlar, Jupiter and 1 other person like this.