No sound if I start the UO client via Razor

Discussion in 'Server & Client Support' started by Petrus, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Petrus

Petrus Member

Well it seems pretty straightforward.

I can only get sound effects, or sound at all, when I run the UO client by itself. If I try to open it via the Razor utility, everything works fine except.. all sound is muted (no footsteps, backpacks, animals, or anything else).

I don't have any sound filters checked on to filter out any sounds whatsoever, so it shouldn't be that.
    My sound is checked on in the options section of the UO client, and the volume is set to max (255 i think).
    Music is checked off, because I don't want it.

I've opened uo.cfg and looked at that, and even there, it says that sound=on, music=off. There weren't any "soundvol=" or "musicvol=" lines in the file, so I added those while trying to troubleshoot this problem, to no avail.

Interestingly, if I run the UO client by itself without Razor, I get sound just fine. I downloaded a version of Razor a little bit more recent than the one on this page (that comes in the UOR package) and have the same problem. Both versions I tried have the same problem. I tried reinstalling the UO client and that doesn't help. The weird thing is, I swear the first time or two that I logged into UOR via Razor, the sound was working, but no longer. It's clearly an issue with Razor I think since my sounds work fine elsewhere on the PC and also with the plain UO client.

Any suggestions? :(
  2. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Well first I would start here >> http://uorforum.com/threads/troubleshooting-razor-ultima-online-problems.3960/

And if nothing helps there I would try removing that version of Razor and installing the version available on our website.

Since the razor development moved to another manager the quality of the updates has gone down resulting in these type of issues being common.

If this doesn't help let us know.
  3. Petrus

Petrus Member

Unfortunately, I've gone through all the steps in that link to 'fix' Razor, to no avail.

I also completely uninstalled both UO and Razor, made sure any other files that the process left behind were manually deleted, restarted the PC, and reinstalled both. That still doesn't work.

It's something to do with Razor. For example, even after uninstalling and reinstalling, Razor remembers the macros and options I had set before, such as the 'force game window size' setting. There's a file somewhere remembering all of this stuff and Razor is utilizing it even after a clean uninstall/reinstall. Probably a registry file.

I say that because if i run the UO client by itself, I have sound just fine.

Maybe if i could find and delete that registry file .. it would 'reset' Razor on a clean installation. Any ideas?

I'm running Windows 7, 32bit.
    Lightshade likes this.
  4. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

There are issues with sound and the Ultima Online client. This doesn't work for everyone, but one thing to try is go to the the Sound and Music in the UO Client (its the little trumpet icon).

First simple attempt to fix it is this: Go to the Music volume slider bar and give it some volume. If you don't want to listen to music, leave the check box unchecked, but still slide the volume to the right. Make sure the Sound on/off checkbox is checked. See if this simply fixes it.

If not, read on...

Make sure that the Sound on/off checkbox is checked AND make sure the Music on/off slider is MAXED. If you do not want to hear the music, do not check the checkbox, but the slider still needs to be slid over. You then have to make sure that it is like this for every open instance of the UO Client and you have to match your sound slide bars for every instance of the UO Client. The instances of the client don't play well with each other in regards to the sound. Also, I would go log in every character you have and adjust them all the same so that you don't get conflicting sound level issues.

Tinker with that, but realize that if you log in a new character that you didn't have this setup for, it'll break it and you have to fix it again. I typically crank up the volumes in the UO Client and then just adjust it via my headset and/or speaker controls.
    EvilIan likes this.
  5. The Smiths

The Smiths Member

I have the same problem. I checked the volume mixer, and it automatically makes sound 0, and if i try to adjust volume in the mixer it just rubberbands back to 0.

any idea?
  6. -=[LiTH]=-

-=[LiTH]=- Member

FIX!!!!!!!!!

I found the no sound issue is attached to the fact windows sliders tend to pay attention to the music volume sliders and not the sound sliders in uo even if music is unchecked. I tried reinstalling sound drives etc etc before I found this.
  7. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I was having the same issue with razor I slid the music slider to max on the in game options like you mentioned and it fixed it! Thanks
  8. Rextacy

Rextacy Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

If you have the sound issue, deff check out what LiTH said !