Opposing Faction characters on alt account

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Blaise, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I propose the blocking, if possible, of joining an opposing Faction to one you are already aligned with on another account. There is no reason this should be possible that I can think of.

If there are reasons for why this should be acceptable, please share them here.
  2. yaadood

yaadood Member

'cuz you're a trammie. BOOOOOOM. zing.
  3. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

What if I want to be a weasel and infiltrate/sabotage the 'other' faction. Surely deceiving, trickery and sabotage all fall under the grief category, a greatly amusing part of UO.

But seriously that is like having one character in each of 2 opposing/warring guilds. Not cool man!
  4. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Renaissance Staff

While I believe I understand entirely what you're asking here, just to be sure I do, is the suggestion you're requesting here;

Joining a character in Shadowlords on Account1 would carry over that Faction "Fealty" so to speak, in which you'd be restricted from joining any other faction except Shadowlords on Account2?
  5. Godric Greycliff

Godric Greycliff Well-Known Member

In general, I would normally support this idea. However, there are two reasons I can see to keep it the same. First, some people might want to join a second faction just so they can even the teams, so to speak, if needs be. This doesn't seem like a bad thing to me but not neccessary. Second, some players who prefer the pure crafter playstyle might want to join different factions on two different crafters so as to be able to service a larger market. Again, I don't personally oppose this either. If this doesn't seem fair to you then, by all means, support this idea. I'm not so sure that I can get behind it entirely.
  6. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Yes, this is what I mean. I don' t know how it could be worked out if you either get blocked from joining an opposing faction, or booted from the current faction if you join another with your second account.

Thanks for the feedback. It's just an idea/concern and I wanted to get dialogue going. :)
  7. Zagyg

Zagyg Active Member
    UO:R Donor

I'm not involved in factions yet, so I don't understand the dilemma. And you only said you don't think it should be possible, not why it shouldn't be possible. What abuses are you worried about occurring under the current system?
  8. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I dunno, it's just shady. Like having two characters in opposing warring guilds. Something doesn't feel right about it and I'm not sure what all, if any, positive/negative implications there might be. Just chattering about a topic that struck me as curious. :)
  9. Ezekiel

Limiting both of a players accounts to the same faction allegiance is not currently possible under the systems in place now. A new system of account management & linking would be required for this process to work in an automated fashion.

The mechanics in place now for factions & faction allegiance per account is not able to be exploited in anyway which would merit this type of change necessary.
  10. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Sweet, thanks.
  11. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

The main problems I see are point farming, but with the new kill system being put on myren we will see who is point farming and can shun them!!
  12. Ezekiel

Any player with a deficit of -6 points is considered not worthy of honor in factions, and yields no points. This holds true until the player reaches at minimum a deficit of -5 points. Additionally, quitting a faction takes 7 (real time) days. These 2 mechanics combined keep the (generally frowned upon) technique of point-farming in check, and stops it completely long before it could ever become a concern of exploitation.

A truly dedicated player committed to point-farming could earn a grand total of +6 points every 7 days. This is an extremely low number compared to players who actively participate in factions can & sometimes do generate.

This can be fixed in another method which wouldn't affect a players ability to join any of the 4 factions.
  13. Vagingo

Vagingo Member

anyone who point farmed for 6 points ever 7 days would have alot more points than anyone. i dont think anyone point farms anyways ppl were just getting alot of points from atrophy
  14. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Except maybe the guy who's now the leader of TB and we've never seen him in the field?
    Could be legit, but sure as shit doesn't seem like it. ;)
  15. Double Vision

Double Vision New Member

Bad Idea Leave it.
  16. Double Vision

Double Vision New Member

Actually if i'm not mistaken there is an exploit unless this has been fixed. What we used to do on hybrid was have one character in one faction and one character in another, we would get the sigs to the base for however long it takes to start the timer 30 minutes i think? And then steal the sig on another faction character and take it back to our house. Go back and forth killing each other on faction toons with the sig, which would reset the timer to hold on the sig but the sig would assume it's at the base so it's still counting on the timer to corrupt. In short, you can corrupt a sig in your own house without every leaving. (Which you could do this with a friend Also so i guess it doesn't matter but you could do it yourself easier)

Rather this has been fixed here or not I don't know I haven't tryed but that seems like an exploit to having two characters in opposing factions but that could simply be fixed by changing the allowed time to hold the sig for any faction 15- 20 minutes total instead of resetting the sig timer to hold everytime someone kills someone with the sig,

Or what hybrid did was when you logged into one faction character you would lose connection on another account if you was logged in to a opposing faction so you can't be logged in on two opposing factions at the same time. It also cut down on killing yourself for points however it was still possible by logging in a faction character while logging out not in a house and then logging in your other faction character to kill him while your other character is timing out. It did however keep people from playing both sides at the same time.

I personally don't see the big deal as I have a character in SL and was asked to help guard the sigs for TB which mainly consists of A^T so I i joined on my tamer for a week and then went out and farmed silver off daemons which I couldn't do if I was in SL on my tamer. So as it is , I don't see what's wrong with the system nor do I see why the OP is against this considering His guild mate asked me to help get the sigs, then another asked me to help return the sigs and also guard them a few times, so in essence it seems that it worked out in True Brits favor. This is not a direct attack, just pointing out the obvious since this is a discussion.
  17. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Yup, it definitely worked out in our favor, it just didn't seem right.
    Thanks for the help, but the reasons you mentioned are what I was suspecting might be the case.

If it's a non-issue, so be it. I was just bringing it up for convo. I do talk a lot. :)