Patch 40: July 3rd 2013 New Player Program, 4th of July

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by Chris, Jun 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member

I saw 2-3 players E of Skara docks tagged as "young"
  2. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

I just now respawned them, I wasn't able to get them tested before I left town, should be all good now.
  3. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Since leaving the island will remove a young player from the program, they are not allowed to use player created moongates. We did however add a public moongate that they can use to leave the island at any time just south east of the bank.

This will change in a future patch, I just didn't have time to develop a custom gump to handle young players using moongates since players could cause confusion since leaving the island would remove them from the program.

[​IMG]
  4. Lord Daemon

Lord Daemon New Member

Mining: all of these tiles that have been changed, may not have been target-able in the past, but the LOS check for mining is different than that of anything else. RunUO is not using a custom LOS for mining, making targeting w/ mining extremely hard. These tiles that have been changed, are target-able in retail, since before 2000. I used to mine a stone looking grass tile in the middle of a grass patch, from the steps of my house. Now, the demo has these tiles as non target-able, but alas, the change was made. This had nothing to do with Trammel, it had to do with making the mining mechanics more user friendly.
    UoRen admins add changes they feel might have been added if the game hadn't introduced trammel, why not add changes that were actually added, regardless of Trammel.
  5. Mutombo

Mutombo Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

^^^^ bump
  6. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

They will be enabled in the next patch, however the amount of ore found in any one 8x8 area will depend on the amount of ore bearing tiles in that 8x8 area.
  7. Tater Salad

Tater Salad Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

I don't see what the big deal is. Who cares if someone mined a bump. How this made it to the top of the priority list, or even on a list is beyond me.
  8. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

The bumps were found to have an incorrect amount of ore, even for the UOR era, and players were taking advantage of this oversight extensively.

During the second age the bumps were unable to be mined at all as there were as the resource banks were set to zero for any area not in/near a cave/mountain.

During UOR the non mountainous areas were able to be mined but at a rate relative to the amount of mineable tiles in the 8x8 bank.

At some point later OSI said screw it and just randomized everything. They also randomized the banks as well where the ore found in an area would change at regular intervals.

The spots were disabled due to a massive uptick in the amount of mining that was being undertaken on these spots. Based on the logs, a large percentage of all AFK checks for mining were sent spots that were not near a mountain or a cave. This clearly indicated a problem. In a few spot checks I was unable to find anyone actually mining these spots without using some sort of a macro. (Recall, Mine, Recall, Bank, Organize, Restock, Repeat).

However a side affect of patch 40 removed tiles that were used in a variety of places, and this will be rectified soon.

In patch 41 these spots will return, but they will provide ore relative to the amount of ore bearing tiles nearby. The correct amount of ore that can be found in any single spot should be 1-16. However will most likely use a scale of 4-16. Each 8x8 resource bank contains 64 tiles.

UO Demo Code - August 1998, these spots provided no metal.
    [​IMG]
  9. Lord Daemon

Lord Daemon New Member

I appreciate you adding the tiles back in. These "bump" tiles could be completely worthless as far as I'm concerned. I was more disappointed by the loss of ability to mine the mountain west of Brit, as the character I'm currently trying to GM mining with is a townie and can not go searching the game world for hard to find mine-able spots.
  10. lilbear68

lilbear68 New Member

great patch, fixed a problem that didnt exist and made the game a little more difficult for the avg player. way to go
  11. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Good.

Care-A-Lot is --------------------------------> that way.

I understand a lot of people seemingly want easy street but really people, get over it. Patches should not suit to make this game any easier than Razor already made it. Be happy you can make 7x GMs in a week, not a year or two. Enjoy the game for the challenges it provides, not the free candy.

There are hundreds of mining grids in this game. A few lumps in the grass do not make or break the resource chain.
  12. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Ok guys, pipe down so the staff can get Patch 41 in. These patches are awesome, BTW.
  13. Tater Salad

Renaissance Volunteers

Just a heads up with the new purple potion ticks or whatever, If you cancel your potion target to cast a spell while you are 'cooking' the pot, when you reactivate the potion there is a secondary 'tick' that will be 1/10 of a second or something causing that pot to be inaccurate. So make sure your target is stationary if you are going to do a pot combo.
  14. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

There is no variance in timing with potion ticks related to your character performing other actions/targeting. The purple potions now conform more closely to server ticks, resulting in a small variance on each numerical tick based on when the potion was used. (Between 1-100 milliseconds, 1/10th of a second)

In all testing done on the minor change to the potions not one player could determine when the patch was applied and when it was not. (blind testing, using a potion by hand)

The only way in which players were able to tell a difference is when they tried to use AssistUO, EUO, or Razor to try and auto use/target purple potions. Since the timing is now processed on server ticks, you cannot make a macro that says "Use Potion,wait 3.x seconds, target" and achieve a high level of accuracy.

If you want to be accurate with purple potions, against a moving target. Target based on the visual clues.
  15. Tater Salad

Renaissance Volunteers

I dunno i have thrown pots by hand a lot, and tried after this and they were all over the place. And this change pretty much makes this combo impossible.

.Cast Explosion
    .Activate purple potion
    .Hit esc
    .Drop explosion on target
    .Begin casting followup spell
    .Re-activate purple potion cursor via the same hotkey you started the "cook" timer with.
    .Throw the purple potion half-way through the 1 timer.
    .Drop the final spell on the target

Now you blow yourself up, hit the ground and MAYBE hit your target. Not one of the worst changes but if the other things were fixed people wouldn't need to rely on pots. The logical step from this change is para spam because all of these changes to dumb down 1v1 attacks will result in 4v1 ganks with 1 designated paralyzer.

Just my 2cents but what do I know.
  16. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I fail to see why it would make any logical sense to be able to cancel a purple potion targeting reticle, providing access to the underlying explosion reticle, then just call back the potion reticle from the ether?

That sounds more like an exploit of an illogical mechanic than a combo.

Just my two cents, but what do I know?
  17. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

those commodity deeds should be 10 stones or less! Gob Bluth voice "come onnnn"
  18. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Ezekiel demonstrated this to me as I had never seen it before.

The problems you were having were due to the overall variance in the potion use which could be anywhere from 4ms to 650ms. Since that combo depends on clear timing it would be much more difficult to pull off since you are basing the targeting on the time to cast certain spells.

I reduced the front end randomization but left the per tick randomization to make this have less effect on that.

Hitting a target on the run however will take very precise timing still, although I did make a tiny adjustment there to make it a bit easier.

This should be applied in patch 41 in a day or two.

This all said, I can't rule out future changes if we find players abusing explosion potions using automated methods to guarantee hits on moving targets.
  19. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

Yes, the game would be ever-so-much easier if we could just have skillballs or press a button to create gold.
  20. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

It is a common practice on Renaissance to disable a feature or system that is not working correctly and can damage the experience or the world economy while the staff reviews it. This has been done in the past multiple times with things such as bonding, masonry, ancient MIB's, commodity deeds and other systems.

Our monitoring software notified us of a problem, the problem was traced to computer controlled, but watched, activities. A patch was made to restrict this behavior until the problem could be solved.

Our goal since day one is to provide a vibrant economy for our new players to enjoy. Not support the automated gathering of resources using a computer controlled character. If you were affected by the change while mining normally without using computer automation we apologize for the inconvenience, and have resolved it in patch 41.

Patch 41 has been applied to address these concerns and resolve the problems that were found.

Patch 41 Details
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.