Pet Bonding and related

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by newme, Sep 2, 2012.

1. newme

newme Well-Known Member

Four things happened during the Renaissance era which where of importance because they altered

many aspects of the game. One, a limit was placed on the amount of pets each player could own. This took place

because stables where being filled with chickens, cows, etc., players where doing this so other players had to

pay large amounts for a stable stop. The second aspect of this limit, was players where hording all the real cool pets,

such as Nightmares and W.W.,s thus preventing more to spawn.

Second, Pet Bonding was created. This was put in place for many reasons. To ease the pang of pet limits, so

after lot of hard work of training up a pet to build its skills and stats, all that time and effort was not lost. A tamer with

high vet skills could keep their pets. Non tamer players could also keep their pets, without having to lay out vast amounts

of gold to a tamer for a new pet, or keep paying stable master over 500 gold every time their pet was killed by a pker or

monster. A bonded pet would follow it's owner, even if owner a ghost or both were.

Third, the Animal Clinic in Brit own Vet was given the skill to resurrect a pet for a certain amount of gold. This

way everyone had the option to res their pets, either by seeking out a tamer to res it or taking it to the clinic. Thus even

non tamers had the opportunity to keep the pet they worked to build up it's skills. Or (like me) was super fond of their

pets.

Fourth, bonded pets would follow the owner when owner recalled.

I believe the first three were valid reasons for Pet Bonding and its res aspects. And if going to keep pet limits per

character and stables, I believe the first three of these should stay in game.

The fourth, although convenient, was just that a convenience . It didn't alter game play in any grand way.

Thanks for listening to my opinions and I know in your folk's reviewing of pet bonding, you'll do what you feel is

best for all of us. Again, congrats on a great launch
  2. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I don't agree with pet bonding, I never used it before but it definately screams trammelite.
  3. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Bonding is temporarily disabled while it is reviewed for our era. Both of you are correct regarding the system.

Expect a detailed thread in the near future in which we review the aspects of bonding and how to implement it in a non trammel way.
  4. newme

newme Well-Known Member

Not every change made in Renaissance was Trammel inspired.

Thanks Chris, know you folks will do your best.
  5. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

No, it is just the simple fact that it takes risk out of losing something (the purpose of trammel).

Maybe if there were a set number of revives, like 1? Then it is lost for good.
  6. Zagyg

Zagyg Active Member
    UO:R Donor

In the T2A era there were already a lot of people who preferred Tamers over Bards and argued they're vastly more effective at PvM. They've certainly always been a heck of a lot more useful in PvP situations. We're already playing under a set of rules for Bards that, while interesting and arguably sensible, are in no way an improvement. Unless Tamers received some similar nerf that I'm not aware of, I'd have to guess that they're now unmistakably a lot more useful than Bards.

I can reason that Animal Taming takes more work to GM than Barding skills, so it should reap some extra benefit (though that is slightly less true since Provo is difficulty-based), but there shouldn't be an immense difference between the classes. If Tamers already have a significant edge in both PvM and PvP over Bards I don't know how one would justify further widening the gap with Taming upgrades. Bards aren't good at anything except PvM so if they aren't the best at the one thing they do or at least close to it, they're obsolete.
  7. newme

newme Well-Known Member

I disagree that there is no risk in having a pet bonded. If you can't gate, and you and your pet die while out in the wilds hunting, the player can get ressed by a wandering healer. Due to whatever killed the player, they may or may not be able to retrieve their items from corpse The pet cannot be res by wandering healer. Ever try to walk a ghost horse from around Shame or some such remote place, to a town where you might meet up with Tamer or someone kind enough to give you a gate to Brit. Or from the bowels of some dungeon? You are still subject to any monster spawns or roaming pker. If you were not able to retrieve your stuff, the risk to you dieing once again is higher.
    Thus the risk to a player with a ghost pet, is a little higher than a player mounted due to the fact animals run a little faster
    than a player afoot and ghost pets move quite a bit slower than live ones.

Thanks for the good debate on this subject. :}
  8. newme

newme Well-Known Member

P>S to my above comments,

Personally I don't think the bonded pet following you with recall should be kept. In my opinion it lowers the risk factors I outlined in the above. Part of the reasons we chose to play on a non-Trammel shard is the risk factors. But up to staff what they do with that.

As far as barding is useless in pvp, wrong. LOL but I'm not going to tell you why, that would be giving pvpers who don't know
    even more ways to kill me. :lol:
  9. Zagyg

Zagyg Active Member

el oh el all you want, but saying that bards are good at PvP is like saying fencers suck at it. The more bard skills you have - and here you ought to use several together to be effective - the fewer combat skills you have. The biggest help a bard has other than a quick recall is a macro set up to automatically provoke the closest grey monster onto the closest red character but that's just buying yourself a second or two to try and escape. I think it's safe to say that Bards purposely sucked at PvP because they started out incredible at PvM and that created balance in the class.

And you might not like to have to limp a ghost pet around but that's not a drawback and creates no risk. No matter what the situation, it's 100% better than having no pet left at all.
  10. newme

newme Well-Known Member

lol We agree to disagree than.
  11. Zagyg

Zagyg Active Member

Lol, I like that. :) Agreed.

[Still hope staff sees things my way though :p]
  12. Double Vision

Double Vision New Member

Actually tamers have plenty to lose, If you have a good high stat mare that you train ( which is almost impossible to do without a bonded one) then you have alot to lose if that nightmare/drag gets trapped in a house and then untamed. Hours of work and supplies down the drain.. so I'm not sure where you got that there is no risk to lose.

Just do what hybrid did, You can train bonded pets but if they die they lose skill points which means you have to re train them after so many deaths, Also make it to where pets can't be lured out of dungeons because that would just be unfair if your pets die to a barlon or AW and someone lures them out of the dungeon and traps them. Makes it more risky to use for pvp with a little less risk for people who just farm with them. As long as you keep out summoning balls for pets then tamers actually have more to lose if the pet is bonded and trained then as if it was just recently tamed and dies.
  13. Zagyg

Zagyg Active Member

Ugh... so much Tamer love and no one repping Bards but me :( I reckon it won't be long until I give up the fight and hop on the Dragon Train with you all.
  14. Double Vision

Double Vision New Member

Bards are good for starting off but nothing beats a tamer, you can make more cash faster and kill stuff quicker :)
  15. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Renaissance Staff

Just to give a little insight to this topic as it has become a rather popular topic, the pet bonding system was disabled on the live release of Renaissance. During the Beta we allowed this system to remain active, purely for testing purposes. The system itself, and the way in which a player would acquire a bonded pet by the default/OSI mechanics, is simply not something that we see as acceptable. Placing a pet in the stables for 7 days, then taking it out and feeding it once is not something we consider balanced, seeing how (under most circumstances) at this point the pet becomes (almost) a permanent addition to the tamer.

That being said, we have not completely ruled out the possibility that pet-bonding could one day return to Renaissance, however it is likely that this will be something that will be seen a long time down the road, if it ever does come to see publish. If we can find a suitable manner in which to implement the mechanic, then we will do so. As of now though, this is not something that is a high priority for us and will likely not be addressed until a majority of the bulk of changes that we have on our plate can be completed.
  16. Double Vision

Double Vision New Member

Just a suggestion:
    Give it a time limit, once it's bonded it goes unbonded after a few weeks , and if you want to make it even harder just make it to where the same pet can't be bonded again. Problem solved on the permanent status :)

Edit: If you want to even add more of a bang to it, Make it to where you need 90 lore 90 taming to bond a pet so everyone on the server isn't running around with a bonded horse etc, and so people aren't trading bonded pets to other characters even there own make it where it goes unbonded if you trade.

Just a few ideas that may help in the future.
  17. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

If there is pet bonding = no risk to lose your trained dragon. I dont like the idea of already powerful tamers with this added advantage. That is why i feel bonding is too carebear.
  18. Zagyg

Zagyg Active Member

So I've heard... bards r for noobs, I guess. I could see them being great as a support class in a group now, but as a standalone class they're third-rate wannabes.

I wish we had noob versions of other classes too.... The Cutpurse, street urchins who are not as good as professional Thieves. The Conscript, a warrior who couldn't hang with real dexers on his best day. And of course, the Potter!! A class that can harvest the very mud of the land to make clay vases, but mostly sits around flea markets not selling them.
  19. Double Vision

Double Vision New Member

You're negating the fact people can trap them in a house/boat untill they go untamed which is a shorter period then unbonding. Tamers are suppose to be powerful, they always have always will be but if they have it to where you have to train your pets this era instead of pets starting off 7xgm as per other eras then there is a huge point to having pet bonding because then you run into these two simple problems.

1. No one will train pets because all it takes is one lost connection or something stupid to happen and all your work is done with and you have to start over
    2. Or people will train them in house and never use them for fear they might die

Pet bonding goes with this era because when you tame a pet it loses skill, so the pets are gimped from the start when you tame them. Other eras when you tamed them there was no skill loss, They pretty much flamestriked the hell outta stuff the minute they were tamed. So If you think pet bonding is to carebear which I'm assuming you don't even have a tamer then nightmares/Drags/WWs should be like previous eras and start off with high skill levels because no one at this point that's smart anyways will spend a week or more and resources training pets in their house so they can go out and lose them with in 5 minutes if something unexpected happens. Especially when the pks pick up on this server.

So without bonding there is no point in skill loss when a pet is tamed because you won't have bonding to train them if they die. I haven't gmed a tamer yet so if there is no Skill loss on pets when you tame then sure leave out pet bonding, Besides here the amount of pets you get are limited to what you can have out so it;s not like someone will be running around with 20 bonded dragons & mares and since bolas are disabled you don't have to worry about bola tamers.

Hope that explains the importance of bonding.
  20. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Okay i understand a bit better. I didnt have a tamer during the "training" era so i didnt know they were nerfed when tamed. I have had plenty of tamers and never really lost any to freak accidents. This explains why my frenzied ostard was getting his butt whooped by an orc. I still dont like the idea of bonding. I am sure the guys here will make a good decision on how it will be implemented in a way that can be acceptable by both our view points.