Player interactions

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Stormwynd, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Stormwynd

Stormwynd Active Member

This thread is to discuss ways to improve player interactions unrelated to spawns and PvP.

Back in the old days of OSI UO, Brit bank was the place to go to buy/sell items. The Brit Blacksmith by the Graveyard was the place you would hang out if you were a blacksmith to sell your wares.

Not that the forums are a bad place to buy/sell or player venders are a bad addition either (lets be honest we can't all be on 24/7).

But what as a community could we do to have a happy medium in regards to non-combat player interactions?
    newme likes this.
  2. Vishakt

Vishakt Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

*In best Arny voice*

GET YOUR ASS TO PAWS!
    Jupiter likes this.
  3. Alice Asteroid

Alice Asteroid Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

yeah, I spend a lot of time in Paws
    Jupiter likes this.
  4. Plankton

Plankton Active Member

Where in the UO timeline is UO:R's village of Paws? In the last Ultima game I played, Paws was pretty depressing.
  5. Geo

Geo Active Member

Remove trade section of forums so people will have to spam for wares at bank. :D
    newme likes this.
  6. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

The true Paws is historically between Britain and Trinsic and is believed to be covered under the Fens of death in some accounts.

The player run town here on UO:R has been officially established as "the southern settlement of Paws" so that we can write our own chapter.

It's located in the Spiritwood surrounding the shrine of spirituality.
    Ragnarok and newme like this.
  7. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

Make communication stones unlimited charges and let the player community figure out ways to harness this. Already the stone I have linked to paws tower leads to a TON of interactions and I often wish I had a ton more throughout the realm.
    Dalavar, Jupiter and newme like this.
  8. Plankton

Plankton Active Member

El Horno, are you looking to set up a comm network? I'd love to be a part of one. Though, no PK gank fests please!
    newme likes this.
  9. Jupiter

I also really appreciate this vote of confidence. When I started up Paws, this is more of what I envisioned and one reason I have been slow to all out open recruitment. I wanted to make a place where the community can interact and drop our walls of paranoia and play the characters we enjoy.

Yes! The communication stone network would be amazing. I think there would be little chance for PK gank fests so long as people standing near a broadcasting stone are aware. And should openly discuss their exact plans with care or with understanding that their words are being broadcast else where.

Paws currently has about 10 or 11 connections. Some of those are

TKB
    Les Claypool Mage Tower
    Dalavar Fortress library
    Cape Adalet
    Urks (if they still have a receiver)
    Sapphire Maiden (location unknown)

10. Pork Fried Rice

Pork Fried Rice Well-Known Member

Argue more in-game and less in IRC. I literally just said this a few days ago and it was written off as off topic comment. Everyone spends far too much time in IRC crying. How often am I in IRC? Exactly. I'm either in-game being present and interacting with people (even if they don't want to stay for the conversation) or I'm not playing UOR (and yeah sometimes I use the forums). Stop using IRC and start actually playing the shard instead of staying AFK while you interact with the community
    Ragnarok, Kishember, newme and 2 others like this.
  11. mafghine

mafghine Active Member

Mitsh the Dwarf has returned from a long adventure/businees with some wizards along the coast. I would also like to reopen the comm network.
    newme, Alice Asteroid and Jupiter like this.
  12. Jupiter

Let me know if you need to link the Dwarf Fortress with Paws.
  13. mafghine

mafghine Active Member

I would like that. I believe I have one here already linked, as I have 2 on my table, linked and on with someone. No idea who. too much plumphelmet wine.
    Maltman, Alice Asteroid and Jupiter like this.
  14. Maltman

Maltman Active Member

I run around different banks occasionally looking for someone and find no one, or the people I find are all in such a hurry to go about there business that they don't want to share a word.

It's pretty annoying I'll admit. The only place to consistently find anyone who will "interact" with you is Occlo bank.

The best part of Ultima Online, from what I remember from when I first started, is that anywhere you go you could basically walk up to a stranger and say "want to go hunt?" (or something equally naive..) and next thing you know you're running to a dungeon with a new friend, cooperatively adventuring, feeling great, until you got PKed, which all in all turned into a great adventure and a fond memory.

If you ask someone "Want to go hunt?" nowadays you'll get laughed at. Mostly, I think, because cooperative play is inefficient since that means you'll have to split the gold from the spawn location 50/50 (solo play is simply much more efficient and convenient). Everyone wants the spawn, or the activity, to themselves (most of the time, obviously people do tamer quests and champs together but that's not even 50% of the action (I guess)).

If you approach people while they are farming usually they get pretty annoyed. For instance, I was standing by some dude farming bloods he must have thought I was going to screw up his GPM or something so he recalled out.

Anyways, it just seems most people don't want to play together unless there's a reason to do so. They'd rather macro or maximize GPM. It's always pissed me off that, in the early stages of the game especially, it's more time efficient to afk macro for a week straight than to play with any other players. Playing with others becomes an inefficient "guilty pleasure".

I never did anything alone in the original UO. UO is a crappy single player game IMO.
    newme likes this.
  15. mafghine

mafghine Active Member

Anytime Im on, you can hunt or mine or fish with me. If you have no guild, You can join mine. See my link below.
    Maltman and newme like this.
  16. Jupiter

Travel once with a Paws member or PoB member and it might change your mind :)
    Ragar, Maltman and Alice Asteroid like this.
  17. Alice Asteroid

Alice Asteroid Well-Known Member

Not always true, Maltman. Why, last week I recalled into the hedge maze and found someone farming there. I said hello and we ended up sharing the spot and the gold for the next half hour. Some people at spots are definitely ready to recall as soon as another name pops up but it's always worth trying a Hail. I guarantee if you run into me we'd hang out. I can say that for a number of people I know on the shard. Just stick around a bit and you'll start to get a feeling for the community.
    Maltman and newme like this.
  18. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Ban second and third accounts and make players choose their favorite five characters.

Host a single IRC channel for Shard Support only (not on Chat4All but completely internal). Ban anyone who crosses the line with trade, trash talk or anything non-UOR Support related.

Remove the BoD system and make armor values normalized across material types.

Block the use of Powder of Fortification on any weapons, ever. Retroactively revert all weapons to their appropriate max Durability level.

Remove statloss for murderers or re-work it to be more forgiving in a single-account environment.

Drink beer, smoke weed, say "Fuck it" more often. This is the best option and much easier to implement.
    Ragnarok likes this.
  19. newme

newme Well-Known Member

Hi. I understand how you feel. I am basically a solo player. But...I don't do boss spawns or tough places by myself. I mine, fish, ride across country. Chop wood, etc. I will say, while on my rides across country, many times I run into other players and we visit for awhile. Sometimes we do things together, sometimes not. sometimes a red chases me. lol
    I did enjoy the adventuring back in the day when you would met folks at banks and just hung out hunting. But...real life has changed a lot since than All the kids are grown, have familys, jobs, etc. Things that demand much more real life attention. Thus, many people afk skills, instead of work them up in the field. This in itself takes away from the amount of (I call it awake) population you run into.
    The use of audio chat programs and irc takes away from the need to met at banks to discuss where you want to hunt, etc. players decide before they even enter the game (in many cases)
    I really don't see anyone players giving up afk skill macroing, or their chat programs anytime soon.
    The only suggestion I can think of, is players on their own start "being" present more. Instead of meeting at the dungeon or guild house,or other player house, met up at banks, etc.

Westra/Marjo

Governess of Wispfelt
  20. Geo

Geo Active Member

I corrected that for you.

*recedes back into the shadows*