Player Profile Upgrade is TOO GOOD

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Wise, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

The new upgrade is so great it even identifies items for you while they are still unidentified in-game.

I don't know if this is intended but it seems like it shouldn't be so. Probably some cross-combobulation going on in the hyperdrive reactors. I am sure Chris will deal with it in no time.

[​IMG]
  2. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Is this really a huge deal? Likewise with the Arms Loring of the items... given the lag time between putting something on your paperdoll in-game, and having the myRenaissance updated with the info, it's impossible to abuse...
  3. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

Well of course with the item ID skill bonus at GM identifying items is a breeze.

The point of this post is not to prevent some unforeseen abuse of identifying items without using the actual game but simply to point out that this is happening.

Sure it is far down on the list of 'to fix' but since the mission statement of the shard is 'history perfected' I figured we wanna find and eventually perfect everything!

Cheers
  4. Dalavar

Right, my point is that I don't think removing this insight is "perfecting", I think it's worsening.

I like knowing that a given player is walking around in a suit of leather Invulnerability. It makes me think more of them; I think it's a sign of a good player. Of course if I bumped into them in-game, I could simply click on their armor and see this, but now if I'm looking up people on myUOR, I get this insight. I dunno, I just think it's a cool feature, not a bug.
  5. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

Who would actually use weapons without identifying them first unless it was just messing around. No serious and respectable player would wear unidentified weapons and armor.

This bug is hardly game changing its hardly even game affecting. But if something is unidentified in game I think it should be the same on the player profile information page.

Just saying.
  6. Red_Rover

Red_Rover Member

Dalavar, I think what Wise is trying to say is....

a player is wearing armor in game that they have not ID'd. If they are wearing a piece of Invul leather, they don't know it based on clicking on the item. Which also means, if someone brings up that players paperdoll, they will also get the "[Unidentified]".

Wise is saying, these items are not showing on the website as "[Unidentified]", they are showing what the armor actually is.

My opinion is, if it's ID'd in game, the website should show it. If it's not ID'd in game, it should show the [Unidentified] tag.
  7. Dalavar

I'm not sure I'm getting my point across, but honestly it's not worthwhile to argue this. It's a corner case impacting like .02% of profiles. Sorry for butting in, there's really no reason for me to have an opinion on this.
  8. Atraxi

Atraxi Member

I'm not sure why you argued in the first place. He was simply pointing out something that wasn't 100% on target. He never said OMFG TELA YOU NEED TO FIX THIS NAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOO!

This is an awesome feature that was added to the shard's website that's got a little bug. It was worth mentioning.

If you don't have a dog in the fight, don't step into the ring.
  9. Dalavar

10. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

All opinion is welcome!!

Also, I actually agree with you that this is insignificant. I just wanted to point it out for brownie points :D

I also agree with Atraxi that this profile thing is the shizdizlenizlle

Cheeers
  11. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Actually, this is spot on Wise. I made it clear to Telamon when he built the system that it was a detriment in certain ways. Yes, I know a 'lot' of people don't like to actually PLAY Ultima Online, but I personally built an Arms Lore and ID character because I USE THE SKILLS. This website update makes the character not just useless but outmoded because I can't even see the numeric data for item condition in game with Arms Lore.

That said, I believe the intention in the long run is to give a buff to Arms Lore to allow you to see full item details in game. Hopefully at that time, the site will no longer show more data than it should. Chris suggested in discussion once that perhaps he could make the site only show that data to people who actually have an Arms Lore character. That would at least make me not feel like I'm the only one playing Ultima here.

I am still and will always be, of the opinion that items should only be ID'd to the person who ID'd them. Global ID is a detriment to the shard and the only people on board with it are the ones who hate to play Ultima. They want WoW and the easy road. The tedium of tasks and skill application to get what you need out of UO is what makes it UO. Giving GM ID characters the ability to do a whole bag at once placated the masses, but I won't be satisfied until Global ID (Identified items being forever identified to all) is turned off making ID wands valuable again and ID characters usefull (you know, as designed). Anyone who thinks items should be identified to the entire shard once a single character knows what it is, are Trammelites. We could go look at a row of classic Mustangs and the vast majority would understand they are Mustangs. Personally, I can read the Vehicle Identification Numbers and tell you what engine and performance options the car had from the factory. Not as sharp about it as I used to be because you can just Google for Mustang VIN decoders now, but I guess I grew up in Feluccia where you had to know things to do things.

REFERENCE THREAD

Turn the Trammel off. That is all.
  12. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  13. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member

There is at least a TINY potential for exploitation of this "bug".

I remember there used to be vendor that sold bags of unidentified stuff as some kind of gamble. Buy 10 unidentified party of platemail for 2k and see if you're lucky ...

With this "bug" you can make sure you only sell rubbish yet it appears as unidentified to other players.

Just a thought - but maybe worth considering when downplaying the issue.