Please Fix The Bounty System

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Curly Sue, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Curly Sue

Curly Sue Well-Known Member

The bounty system is designed to delete player bounties when PKs go innactive. Currently, it will delete your bounty if you fail to recieve a bounty from other players within a few weeks, or if you fail to get a kill within a few weeks.

Unfortunately, with the current system, even active PKs lose their bounties all the time. Even if they kill everyday, you might not get another player to add to the bounty.

This is junk...

I propose to have a players bounty only deleted when he has not killed in 3 weeks or maybe a month and remove the requirement that other players must add a bounty within any amount of time to keep the bounty up.

This shouldn't hurt anyone... It will however prevent players who put bounties up from wasting their money by having it deleted (which happens constantly now).

The only counter arguement I can see is that some lame PKs may bring their own heads in when the bounty gets high enough. We obviously need to find a solution to that... But we are better off not having a bounty system the way it is now because maintaining a bounty before it gets deleted is almost impossible.

Maybe the PK who gets bountied has to match a percentage of the bounty when his head is turned in before he can res so if he tried to cash it in it wouldnt be worth it?... There has to be a solution. It would also add to PK death penalty which I'm sure the blues will like.

Yes, No?
    newme, Keza, Codus and 3 others like this.
  2. Curly Sue

Example--

Pk has 30k on his head..

Pk dies..

Pk has to pay 75% of bounty before able to rez..

Player who kills Pk gets bounty..

Players who get killed want to add bounty to Pks head to make it more expensive for him to rez when he dies.

System works awesome and they rejoiced... And fed on breakfast cereals and orangotangs...
    AnRobot-, Sarian, newme and 3 others like this.
  3. Pork Fried Rice

Pork Fried Rice Well-Known Member

Removing bounties from inactive PKs is the only thing I see wrong with the current system, but I'm not opposed to inactive PKs being removed from the board.

The whole "wasting their gold on a bounty" (if the bounty is deleted) is a pointless argument. Putting a bounty on a player is a waste of money regardless - do you really think people actually try to kill PKs because of the bounty value? I would imagine not.
    newme likes this.
  4. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Bounties take 30 days to expire currently. So if you do not kill another player for 30 days + the time until the next server restart the bounty will not decay. However if your head is turned in and the bounty is claimed you can be removed from the list.

You can read more about the Renaissance bounty/murder count system in the compendium by following this link
    http://www.uorenaissance.com/info/Murder_Counts

I'm going to go ahead and move this to the Era Discussion subforum, however it seems what you are asking for already exists here.
    newme likes this.
  5. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

I could see that being a good idea, plus another "gold sink" as some people clamor for on other threads. Because I haven't had my 2nd cup of coffee this morning and I can't do the maths good yet, I'll simplify the numbers.

Say a pk, like many here, have a shitload of long terms but have short terms to 0, there really isn't any risk of that person rezzing. So if the system was changed and bounties still accumulated, say this pk now has 100k bounty on him. At Curly's 75% proposed rate, it would take 75k for this pk to rez, an obvious risk involved in pk'ing there. In the best case scenario, Blue Player kills red PK, turns in head to the guards for a 100k profit. Red PK now has to pay 75k to rez. That is 175k removed from the system. Worst case scenario, that pk COULD kill his own pk and turn in the head for a 25k profit unless......

That rate changes to 100% of bounty if rezzing not in stat loss. So the pk with 60 long terms and 0 short terms but a 100k bounty now has to pay the full amount to rez. However, if that pk had 60 long terms and 6 short terms, maybe CUT that rate by 75% or even do away with the fee. The pk would have to decide whether they want to take the stat loss hit and save money, or take the financial blow by macroing counts down to safe levels.

At the very least, the 2 week "reset" of bounties if they are inactive should be lengthened to like a month or so. If you watch irc, people do in fact collect on bounties, however mostly they are pretty low although sometimes people get lucky and snag a high price pk. I think someone got over 30k on some red that I can't recall recently...

EDIT - just saw Chris' post on the 30 day thing already in place so scratch that.
    newme likes this.
  6. Pork Fried Rice

Forcing someone to pay anything to res based on a bounty is a terrible idea. It will eventually turn to griefing (20mil gold bounty) when gold becomes worthless here, which is what's been happening over time. It doesn't fix the problem with bounties either.
    newme likes this.
  7. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

We have no plans to create heavily customized murder/bounty systems down the road. There are always a variety of ideas about how this can be changed, altered or adjusted. However the core goal of the system is to provide all players with the understanding that if someone kills with impunity there are consequences.

Having to break out a calculator or base a system on the victims spending large amounts of money in order to try and punish a murderer (who most likely has more money than his victims anyway) can erode confidence in a system that at its core is designed to punish excessive murdering.

Bounties exist to give players a reason to hunt dastardly murderers and encourage some back and forth, red vs blue combat out in the world. Additions of things like the IRC broadcasts help give players the perception that their bounty, even if it is 1 gold, can have a positive effect. Therefore reducing some of the annoyance and tedium of being killed, while giving you the feeling that this "evil" player could be hunted by the "good" players in the world.

Sometimes I think it is perceived as a leaderboard rather than for its intended purpose.

That said I am not against creating some sort of survivalist leaderboard for Pvp'ers, however I will avoid anything that encourages players to kill other players simply for the "high score".
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  8. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

9. Pork Fried Rice

10. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Scoring Methodology - Duels: Experience gained from duels is based on your current experience(rank) vs the players experience(rank) that you dueled. As you rise in rank you will gain less and less experience from duels with players below your rank eventually ceasing to gain experience for a lopsided duel.

Scoring Methodology - Other: All other non duel combat is graded on a two part system. The killers combat rank is determined by their experience in the related type of combat, while their victims experience is based on a weighted average of their total combat experience (non duel). The amount of times that a player has killed another player also will factor into the process. The more you have killed someone, combined with their overall combat experience will determine your experience gain, if any, in a combat situation.
  11. bart simpson

bart simpson Well-Known Member

newme likes this.
  12. Curly Sue

I don't think this is the case Chris. Hussy Bear just lost his bounty and he makes kills every week with a few exceptions where he was out a week and then the next kill was 2 weeks. Last I spoke with Telamon he said that currently it relies on two items. I'm going on memory but here it goes....

You lose a bounty if you don't get a kill in 2 weeks... Or if you don't get a bounty placed on your head in 30 days.

I believe he even said he would look into making adjustments but it had to be done during as server reset. I think it's awesome that UOR staff are willing to discuss this stuff so please don't take this as a complaint. I just wanted to get some feedback and propose some change so that bounties aren't lost even when players are still active.

BTW, if players had 500K on their head, I think people might go after PKs for bounties. It's hard to get that high now though because they keep getting deleted. I've probably had mine deleted 2 to 5 times now already and I've only not killed in a week or two when I was on vacation or something.

@Pork Fried Rice - I could care less about the money to res idea as well... I just figured someone would say "well what prevents a PK with a 500K bounty from handing in his own head".

Again, Hussy JUST lost his bounty and there has not been a span of time anywhere near 30 days without a kill (which would be perfect if you ask me)

House Hussy Bear, while in a house Kholdar 7/30/2015 4:50:07 PMBritannia
    Murder Murdered by Hussy Bear Itzel 7/30/2015 2:58:43 PMDungeon
    Standard Killed by Hussy Bear Buddy 7/29/2015 4:27:40 PMBritannia
    Standard Killed by Hussy Bear Lemer 7/23/2015 3:09:00 PMDungeon
    Murder Murdered by Hussy Bear Achmalla 7/15/2015 1:36:05 PMDungeon
    Murder Murdered by Hussy Bear Ariana Dewmist 7/15/2015 1:05:11 PMDungeon
    Murder Murdered by Hussy Bear Miloric Bernath 7/13/2015 3:26:16 PMDungeon
    Murder Murdered by Hussy BearNymeros 7/9/2015 4:16:38 PMDungeon
    Murder Murdered by Hussy Bear Revy Sabre 7/9/2015 4:03:40 PMLost Lands
    Murder Murdered by Hussy Bear Zeref 7/8/2015 3:16:18 PMDungeon
    Murder Murdered by Hussy BearApostate 7/8/2015 11:54:38 AMDungeon
    Murder Murdered by Hussy BearRune 7/6/2015 4:20:56 PMBritannia
    Murder Murdered by Hussy Bear Abramelin 7/6/2015 1:20:13 PMBritannia
    Murder Murdered by Hussy Bear Major Fambrough 7/2/2015 3:46:23 PMDungeon
    Murder Murdered by Hussy Bear Exile 7/2/2015 3:46:06 PMDungeon
    Murder Murdered by Hussy Bear Annamolly 7/2/2015 2:22:38 PMLost Lands
    Murder Murdered by Hussy Bear a drake 7/2/2015 1:57:14 PMDungeon
    Standard Killed by Hussy BearBoris 7/1/2015 4:27:59 PMBritannia
    Murder Murdered by Hussy Bear The Hammer 6/24/2015 12:49:21 PMDungeon
    Murder Murdered by Hussy Bear Dragon 6/24/2015 12:48:36 PMDungeon
    Murder Murdered by Hussy Bear AnimaltheLover 6/23/2015 4:38:26 PMBritannia
    Murder Murdered by Hussy BearFat Mac 6/23/2015 4:12:33 PMBritannia
    Murder Murdered by Hussy Bear Jewbonga 6/17/2015 11:25:49 AMBritannia
    Murder Murdered by Hussy Bear Intense 6/16/2015 3:23:33 PMDungeon
    Murder Murdered by Hussy BearFat Mac 6/16/2015 2:59:35 PMBritannia
    Murder Murdered by Hussy Bear Roland 6/15/2015 3:58:14 PMBritannia
    Murder Murdered by Hussy Bear Bushyasta 6/15/2015 12:42:05 PMBritannia
    Murder Murdered by Hussy Bear Big Time Angler 6/11/2015 12:00:20 PMBritannia
    Murder Murdered by Hussy Bear Ariok 6/11/2015 9:43:20 AM
    Lost Lands
  13. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    newme likes this.
  14. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

What if the murder doesn't have the funds 'in' his account? (a lot of them have gold caches in their alt blue's accounts with only minimal daily allowances in their PK's account). I can see this kind of system being abused by players 'intentionally' not turning in a head to ensure the bounties stay active.

I like scope of this proposed system, because I have always been disenchanted with the bounty system. I know that the 'proudest' PK's look at bounties as a sign of prestige, but really, if a bounty got to 1,000,000 gold? who wouldn't try to turn in their own head and just stop playing that character? Just knowing that this is possible, I have never placed a bounty on somebody's head unless they specifically requested it after rezzing me.

The only successful solution I have seen has been a player-imposed system imposed by @Curly Sue and his RRG gang. If they die before they reach 100 kills in a row, then their progress to enter to their prestigious "Eminent Watch" status is reset to 0.

To me this system gives me a reason to stay and try and fight one of them (and target their members who haven't reached eminent watch status yet). I know that they are risking something of value to them personally. I respect this and I would like to see a similar system self-imposed by other PK's.

The only negative from Curly's system is that it will most indubitably encourage more 'cautious' pking as one approaches 100 kills. (i.e. they may ghost, target 'easier marks', gank harder, etc.)
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    newme and Blaise like this.
  15. One

One Well-Known Member

newme and Jupiter like this.
  16. newme

newme Well-Known Member

Interesting read, thanks.
    One likes this.
  17. One

One Well-Known Member

Ragnarok likes this.
  18. RevySabre

RevySabre Member

I didnt report you... thats what you WANT me to do =) so theres always that. Ill give credit to a non gank sqaud.
    Ragnarok likes this.
  19. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Active Member

Chris and Telamon sleep in the same bed.
  20. Curly Sue

Haha, I was informed of this at a later date...

:oops:

To my defense the statements were all true so I had no reason to think they were the same person :)

Unless he changed the rule set so fast that they were no longer true statements I was making. Which I would be fine with.o_O

Smiley Faces... FTW