Poison and magery

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by ninjaijk, Dec 10, 2013.

1. ninjaijk

ninjaijk New Member

First of all, grate shard, i've just started and the place looks awesome.

Now, I have a couple of questions, and some statement to make about the poison skill and its interaction with magery:

Questions:
    1) Does the poison skill of the caster affect the ability to resist the spell?
    2) I understand that the grater the distance, the lowere the poison level. How exactly does it scale? I'm at 180 total and doing gp at close range, and regular poison at long range. If i had 200 total, does it mean I could inflict dp at close range and gp at long range? I've searched the forums and it says something about distance*10 wich i cannot understand.

Statement:
    Poison field should scale with the poison skill of the caster,granting dp at 200 magery + poisoning.On osi it worked that way. I understand this is not osi, but i can't understand how nerfing this spell can perfect anything. Poisoning is an extremely costly and time consuming skill to raise, maybe the most in the entire game. Giving a nox mage a usefull skill to pvm is just right, considering there are much stronger skills for pvm, and much less costly. In pvp any dexer can dp, and with much more reliability than a field spell, and the regular poison spell can dp aswell. I really can't understand this nerf.
  2. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

In what era did poison field do Deadly Poison if GM in Poisoning and Magery? I don't remember that during Renaissance.
  3. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

1. The poison skill does not affect your ability to resist poison.
    2. Over 80 poisoning you have a chance to inflict deadly poison when you are within 2 tiles of your target. This chance increases as your skill increases to around 50% at gm poisoning. The target player still has a chance to resist the spell based on their magic resistance.

As for Poison field we don'y currently have any plans to change its function based on the poisoning skill, but I am sure some PvM improvements could be reviewed as a benefit to players who specialize in poisoning.

Welcome to UO Renaissance.
  4. ninjaijk

ninjaijk New Member

I think I finally got the answer to the question #2, so i don't need it anymore. Magery+poisoning-(range from target -3)*10

I don't know if dp was possible, 100 magery alone was pretty hard on real osi, 100 poisoning was nearly impossible (for me at least that was).But gp was definitely achievable.
    As an evidence, in this article http://www.uorenaissance.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3012&p=19450&hilit=poisoning#p19450 the guy says that poison field is gp, as the poison spell. I think (this is an assumption) he has under gm poisoning and magery, wich lead to both poison and poison field to do gp. Whether or not dp was achievable i really can't tell, but it seems logical.
  5. ninjaijk

ninjaijk New Member

TY very much, this is very clear
  6. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

This should have said "This chance increases as your skill increases to around 50% at gm poisoning."
  7. ninjaijk

ninjaijk New Member

Wait a second, does magery interact with the level of posion? Are we assuming gm magery?
  8. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Magery factors in, but only if you have the poisoning skill.
  9. ninjaijk

ninjaijk New Member

Ty, now its even more clearer :)
  10. ninjaijk

ninjaijk New Member

Sorry if i am bothering again but, are you sure it works that way? For some reason im not able to connect to test shard, or i had tested myself. Anyway, im at 100 magery and 87 poisoning (shown), and over 100 or so poison spells,I havnt get a single dp.
  11. Godric Greycliff

Godric Greycliff Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

This is what it says in the compendium:
    Magery + Poisoning - (If range is 3+ tiles, range to target * 10) At 200, 10% chance to deadly poison, otherwise greater. At 170-199.9 greater poison. At 130-169.9 lesser poison. All other situations normal poison.

This does seem to include an error as lesser and normal poisons seem to be reversed but other than that this does appear to be how it works here.
  12. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

This looks right to me. It's magery+poisoning that determines what level you can cast.

It's always been weak though, imo. Just one of those things that sounds good on paper.

Even if it did not require close proximity to the target to produce higher level poisons it would still only be okay.
  13. ninjaijk

ninjaijk New Member

I think it would be much more better if it worked like chris said, 50% dp @ gm assassin.

As i said before, poisoning is extremely costly and slow to raise, i think nothink will break if it will be buffed a bit
  14. bor

bor New Member

Hey guys, i see this is an old thread but i'm wondering how 60 magery 100 poisoning would work.

I'm trying a new template, 100fence-tac-anat-heal-poison 70parry-resist 60magery

A dp weapon would do it's dmg but could you dp with poison spell on 60 magery ?
  15. Nefarius

Nefarius Active Member

I had a 7x Nox mage on OSI. DP % chance was not affected by distance. If you could cast it, you had a chance to DP.

I was told this 2 tile change was intentional here @Chris
  16. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

It is not a static 2 tile range. The chance to apply greater levels of poison are dependent on the range to the target and the combination of the players poisoning and magery skills. To apply deadly poison for instance you have 10% chance, with both skills at 100 and within 2 tiles of the target. Otherwise the poison applied would be greater poison. This scales with range up to a max distance of 10 tiles.

As for the logic behind the mechanics I would have to do some research before making any official statement. At the time however the staff believed this was the correct mechanic for the Renaissance era based on available documentation and memories of OSI.

The Patch notes from OSI actually indicate that you could only inflect greater levels of poison if you were within a range of 2 tiles. This was the first time the change was applied to the servers. (Publish 7-8 I believe). We surmise they realized this was incorrect and adjusted it at a later date to the mechanic we have here. Range + Magery + Poisoning = Level of Poison. This would have been in 2000/2001 time frame.

Note: Saving this post for later to cover my ass when I explain to my wife that I forgot our anniversary but remember poison mechanics from a game I played when I was 22.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    Cronos, jumpman, One and 4 others like this.
  17. yaadood

yaadood Member

TBH, I played a nox mage on osi as well. and i remember it being within 4 tiles you had more like a 20% chance of DP, and always GP otherwise.

I remember casting mostly GP on people at 100.0 skill. This skill was hard to gain, for a marginal bonus.