Poison Dexxer

Discussion in 'PvP Discussion' started by AshBorn, May 31, 2018.

1. AshBorn

AshBorn Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Dexxer with Poisoning... how is it in PvP?

Debating playing one instead of a Lunberjack dexxer.

I understand LJ is probably better but I want to do poisoning for RP purposes and want to know if it’s at least viable and what a good template would be.

Thank you in advance!
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  2. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Poisoning ON a dexxer? At GM?

No real benefit.

Having enough magery for recall and the rest in poisoning for application on the fly... yeah, sure I suppose?
    Cheapsuit and AshBorn like this.
  3. merlin8666

merlin8666 Well-Known Member

4. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

I've only fought them as a dexxer and it was a tough fight for sure
    AshBorn likes this.
  5. AshBorn

AshBorn Active Member

Hmm. Yeah the point would be to have it for poisoning on the fly so virtually every swing you take can apply it. Keep the pressure on. But yeah Magery would have to go..
  6. PaddyOBrien

Here's an idea if you don't go the LJ route

100 Melee (swords/fencing)
    100 tactics
    100 anat
    100 heal
    100 poison when GM, have everything else locked and this skill going up for the super sweet "GM Assassin" title
    100 resist

80 hiding 20 magery for using recall scrolls.

This would be a fun RP assassin build. Use a fast sword like a katana and keep applying poison, or go fencing for spear and dp kryss/war fork for your sidearm weapon.
  7. Valrick

Valrick Well-Known Member

(types and deletes typed words over and over)

listen to those guys ^ :) it's a frustrating topic to think about. Where the 100 skill points for poisoning is a large amount for a dexxer, poisoning runics/magic weapons over and over on a different character isn't very efficient either. Even for the 100 points.
    AshBorn likes this.
  8. AshBorn

AshBorn Active Member

Yeah I get that. Sounds like its viable but not optimal. Thats okay with me. Ill do it! Thanks for the template, I think that will work perfect!

Stay tuned for a PK fencing assassin.... :p
    Balian, Ruck and Valrick like this.
  9. Valrick

Valrick Well-Known Member

Might want to find someone here that's online that has a super good connection. If your ping is less than GM, that might have an effect on stuff too! Just a final note!
    RiffRaff- likes this.
  10. Arawn

Arawn Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tag @merlin8666

So I have heard a lot of the talk back and forth on on this topic. I have a nox fencer and I do really enjoy playing it. As has been said, ping is really important for any dexxer template. Also its my opinion that GM magery is required for any pvp template, for clutch heals/cures, magic reflect or reactive armor, AND one of the most important things for a nox, casting the poison spell. Keep in mind that the higher levels of poison when casting are based off of distance from target, and para blow from a spear helps this. No evaluating intelligence required!

My nox fencer template is: Fencing/Tactics/Anatomy/Healing/Poisoning/Magery/Resist

I keep a generous amount of intelligence for spells (heal/cure/buffs/debuffs/poison) and mind blast resistance, and use bandages and potions to keep health up

Here is how you have to view poisoning. Its not that its going to cause so much damage, but what it does it messes up bandage rolls, and makes a mage drop the spell they are holding. Unlike poisoning in PvM where its a big DPS buff, this is more about interrupting your opponent in PvP. One benefit of having the poisoning skill on your dexxer is that you can easily run an opponent dry of cure potions. Here since cures have no cooldown timer, and are stackable, people tend to carry many of them, but a single deadly poison potion will apply 12 charges of poison to your weapon, AND each time they chug a potion they cant be holding a spell up. Also, ALL poison types besides deadly poison have a 100% chance to cure instantly with a greater cure potion, Deadly Poison is the only one that has a chance to fail (I don't have hard numbers but im gonna guess its a bout a 70% chance to cure per potion).

With that being said, I say there are 2 methods to adding poisoning to a dexxer, and no point in doing anything in between. ~30 poisoning or 100 poisoning. At 30 poisoning you can apply lesser poison with reasonable (if not 100% chance?) success rate, and then you can put those other points elsewhere. What this will give you is the ability to constantly apply poison to your enemy causing it to mess up their bandage timers, causing them to have to drink all their cure potions, or stop and cast cure, and constantly drop spells to cure. Also lesser poison applies something like 20 charges of poison to your weapon per potion. Or go for 100 poisoning and always apply deadly poison for a chance to miss cures, and a chance of doing 20ish poisoning damage if there is a missed cure or a fumble (I have occasionally killed someone running away from me when a last luck hit got them with deadly poison). Once you have run your opponent dry of cure potions, this is where deadly poison becomes just that, deadly.

If you PM me I am more than happy to chat about some of this and share some more specific tactics that I use.

Also I have a pvp LJ, and boy is it fun 2 shotting mages.... :p (ok sometimes it takes 3 hits...)
    And don't forget that a pvp LJ can always carry a poisoned katana to whip out in the middle of combat to mess things up

Just ask @merlin8666 how much he hates fighting my nox fencer :cool:
    r3ckon3r, eherruh, bivis and 5 others like this.
  11. Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member

I myself have been intrigued with making a poison dexxer, so thanks for taking the time to reply for Ashborn with some great information that I was also curious about.

Are GM weapons sufficient enough when starting off in PvP (never actually pvped before) or will the damage be too low that it might discourage any motivation for a newbie who wants to at the very least, keep up with others while as they become more adept to fighting? Figure if I have a stash of Vanquishing weaps, i might not want to use them yet while starting out.
    Valrick likes this.
  12. Arawn

Arawn Well-Known Member

Personally I only use power and vanq, especially with fencing the damage is low, but the speed is faster. GM would just not really cut it for real pvp imho, as a dexxer you really need any edge you can get. I'll even use agapite runics if im feeling fancy. People often use GM DP poisoned weapons because they are cheap and plenty, and work for just applying poison, but this is not just a poison vessel, it is also your main source of damage output, and that is how you are going to kill somebody.

A DPed vanq kryss, after you have chugged a dex pot, and can apply endless poison, is a force to be reckoned with!
    Hollywood likes this.
  13. PaddyOBrien

So are you saying that if you are GM poisoning you always deliver deadly poison blows? Or did I read that wrong?
  14. Arawn

Arawn Well-Known Member

No unfortunately the skill has no effect on your chance to apply poison to opponent. I think its 50% chance on landed hit no matter what. I know the chance to apply poison to opponent is static, I think that chance is 50%
  15. AshBorn

AshBorn Active Member

@PaddyOBrien What about stats, keeping mind blast in mind?
  16. PaddyOBrien

I'm not too keen on balanced stats so I begrudingly leave some dex and str off for some int, but it depends on what you want to do. If you're going to be an assassin you will have to rely on quick kills and surprise but no prolonged fights if you don't balance stats. I don't know for sure the recommendation but I've used 100 90 35 before
  17. Arawn

Arawn Well-Known Member

Yea really depends on how you fight for stats. There is the typical 90/90/45, however there is advantage to having 50int if you need an 8th circle spell. I have some dexxers that I like a little more mana on, and some that I use no mana on.

Mindblast is important if you plan on exchanging blows with someone, but not necessarily quick kills.
  18. AshBorn

AshBorn Active Member

Well the problem is mymagery will be at 20 lol so I’ll be using scrolls. Circles 1-4 maybe 5 if I have time to cast.
  19. Arawn

Arawn Well-Known Member

As I said in my longer post, I STRONGLY recommend GM Margery for any pvp dexxers... you are at a huge disadvantage without it. With 20 Margery and scrolls, what kind of spells do you intent to cast? A fizzle could be the difference between life and death, and you won't even be able to cast greater heal with solid success at that level
  20. AshBorn

AshBorn Active Member

I might drop hiding for it but I want to have some surprise attacks a few times first.

But yeah I only really planned on recalling.
    APonce likes this.