Poison Mage

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Potion Commotion, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Potion Commotion

Potion Commotion Member

I recently made a poison mage, because it sounded really fun, and I thought maybe it would be a good build. Regrettably, it sucks. Not a little, kind of a lot. You can still fail to poison someone with the poison spell, and greater cure pots take it right off. I really expected the poison spell to be unresistable. I thought that was the whole point of getting poisoning. Anyhow, I was just curious what people thought about this build.

Also, with the plant system coming out soon, will there be orange petals? If so, maybe they could have a chance to not work against a poison mages poison? that would be pretty cool.
    newme likes this.
  2. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I agree that nox mages are underwhelming on this server.

Actually, nox dexxers are as well.
  3. Potion Commotion

Potion Commotion Member

It also seems to be the most expensive thing I could have done to make a mage. The only thing it's good for is killing new players, or unprepared people, and while it's funny to watch someone die to only poison from half health while they just run their heart out, it's not really what I had in mind. And what I mean by didn't have in mind, is that it wasn't my plan to make a mage who's only strength is watching the disadvantaged slowly spasm to death while they flee.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    Taliic and sita69 like this.
  4. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

If/when the plant system comes out, there will be no orange petals or anything like that. or at least that seems to be the overwhelming consensus.
  5. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

I have gmd poison here twice, once on a mage and once on a dexxer, and neither char has poisoning anymore. Nox dexxers only have killing power in a box and nox mages are absolutely worthless since poison is resisted more than half the time against gm resist.
    Cynic likes this.
  6. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member

Poisoning in this era was a crafter skill.

i think it was AoS that brought the mighty Leathal Poison.

Unless greater cures get nerfed so that they only cure deadly poison 33% of the time or something, its gonna stay this way.
    Mes likes this.
  7. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

They have a chance to fail now but there's no cool down on pots so they can just spam until it's cured regardless
  8. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member

True, but I think its still an 80% cure rate.

If the cure rate was something like 30ish% then unless you literally carried 100 cure pots with you, yould run out of cures in no time and have to recall.

I think that its actually a good idea to nerf GC pots. Still cure GP and lesser 100% of the time, but tank the success rate of curing Deadly Poison down to Id even say 20% chance to cure.

Is there anything else that can apply DP besides:
    -a toon with a DP weapon and some level of poison skill
    -a nox mage standing within 3 tiles
    -Dread spiders and poison elementals?

EDIT: That might even be just the buff that dexxers need to be competitive.
    Mes likes this.
  9. Potion Commotion

Potion Commotion Member

I think it should just be a 100% poison chance with magery. That wouldn't be overpowered, and it would give you some reason to have poisoning.
  10. Steady Mobbin

Steady Mobbin Well-Known Member

Thanks for the thread. Fairly new here and was developing a toon with poisoning in mind.

*drops poisoning*
  11. TiMi

TiMi Active Member

yup did the same, eventually turned my poisoner into an alchemist as well :D
  12. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Test Server:

It might not always be up to date but... It's darn neato.
  13. Tol

Tol Member

Ah i was looking forward to making a poison mage as well. Tank mage now maybe? Hmm well this is certainly changing what I had planned.

Can't have everything i guess! Thanks for the heads up.
  14. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

The problem that a 100% success rate creates is every group would run with 1 nox mage to put a guaranteed poison in the dump, making sure his friends cant bomb-heal him through the dump. It'd be a guaranteed finisher in group fights when used correctly.
    Cynic likes this.
  15. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member

Hmmm... Maybe 50% cure rate? I still think the chance to resist should stay the same. I really think it would be awesome if DP would just be harder to cure with a G-heal potion.
  16. sita69

sita69 New Member

how are the poison fields? i imagine dp poison fields would be quite useful in pvm circumstances
  17. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

i can see cure differences making a difference, but it still won't help mages much considering like I said earlier you can just hold down your orange pot button and it will chug until it cures pretty much instantly regardless of how many it takes
  18. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member

@20% it would take on average 5 cure pots to cure one spell. Thats a lot of potions every time you get DP'd.
    Its not exactly INSTANT either, theres like a half a second lag between each potion. So then it would take about 2 seconds to cure that poison. Thats enough to get an ebolt up uninterrupted.

UO is already a game of Poison charges vs Cure pots. As it stands now, the advantage is to the cure potion. (as it should be)
    If this happened the odds would shift to the Poison charge side IF that character spends points on Poisoning.
  19. Erza Scarlet

Erza Scarlet Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

A poison fencer can be a pain to fight 1v1, unless you have a huge amount of cure pots.
    Most of the killing potential from Fencers comes from parablows + good explo pots however. I believe the poisoning isnt worth the points + if needed you can still carry 2-3 poisoned weapons with you.

Nox Mages... lol
    The only effective use ive seen for them is on 7x Mage duels on Nox/Stun templates without pots.
    If you land that deadly poison close range after a Stun + Explo/Poison dump.. well... GG
    On the field its utterly useless IMO
  20. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

The advantage for the potion side is that players can stack 60 fucking cure potions in their pack and it only counts as one item. This is utter bullshit and has been since stacked potions were implemented here. Despite the absolute fact that staff explicitly stated they would still count as one item per bottle.

Fail.

If players couldn't run around with 150 potions AND their reagents, armor, etc, etc, Nox templates wouldn't be so lackluster.
    Fuji Flu, Orange, BlackEye and 2 others like this.