Poisoning chance

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Dalavar, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

In the Renaissance era, the chance to poison someone with a poisoned weapon is equal to the skill of the person who poisoned the weapon divided by four.

Full era poisoning essay from Stratics in case other nuggets can be uncovered. The only other thing that jumps out at me is that allegedly a Greater Cure potion can "Always" cure Deadly Poison. I may be confusing Deadly and Level 5 on this shard, but I think I've failed to cure via Greater Cure a number of times.

2. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

IMO I think poisoning is exactly where it needs to be right now. The only change I would kill to get is the ability for players with poisoning to lethal poison a small percentage of the time.
  3. Godric Greycliff

Godric Greycliff Well-Known Member

The 100% chance to cure deadly poison with a greater cure doesn't seem balanced or comensurate with the difficulty levels involved in creating or using the items. I do think that poisoning should allow an upgrade to poison field spells in the manner it did around the era (not sure what pulish that got changed.) This would make the skill slightly more desirable for PvM mages and I don't think would have any negative effects on game balance. It would also be nice to see an upgrade to poisoning for dexxers. Chance to poison based on the skill level of the poisoner wouldn't make things more interesting. That would end up being an unjust nerf for dexxers. As it stands now there's good reason to have sub-GM poisoning on a dexxer template and I personally feel there should be more skills like that.
  4. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Yes, the good reason for having sub-GM Poisoning is that in practice it is just as good as having GM Poisoning! It's inaccurate to the era, and it's overpowered IMO to be able to indefinitely poison your weapon with Lesser Poison at will because you bought 30 points in the skill from a vendor.
  5. Godric Greycliff

Godric Greycliff Well-Known Member

I can see why you wouldn't like it and, no, it doesn't really make sense the way it is now. On the other hand, it's a mechanic used by true dexxers and while 30 poisoning might seem over-powered in comparison to the dexxer with no poisoning I don't see the case for it being over-powered in comparison to the various hybrid and mage templates in PvP. Why don't people run tank mages with 30 poisoning? 'Cause a mage can poison an opponent much more reliably than a dexxer any day of the week poisoning skill or not. I think there's a good solution in here somewhere but I don't think it involves further gimping the underdog, that's all. *shrugs*
    Imbol likes this.