Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by One, Jun 17, 2017.

Should it be possible for those with the parrying skill to deflect fire breath?

1. Yes, with standard shields.

46.3%
  2. Yes, but only with special shields designed for that purpose.

14.8%
  3. No.

38.9%
  1. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  2. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

I think projectile spells should be parryable with gm parry, such as fireball/ebolt/magic arrow/and firebreath. If you wanted to go further, maybe have it tied to shields made by different ores, valorite having the bigger chance to parry? Or use magic reflect scrolls to charge shields for X amount of charges?
    Holden and One like this.
  3. One

One Well-Known Member

4. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

The moment you do this is the moment you have 5x mage + anat/parry mages killing your tamers and toggling shields to block spells in duels, and now they have even less chance to be hit if you manage to run them off on your dexer.
    scuba and Isabel like this.
  5. PaddyOBrien

Yeah pretty much any suggestion right now is a pipe dream since there is so much in the backlog :/
    TrojanCow, Kirby and One like this.
  6. PaddyOBrien

Yup haha.
  7. One

One Well-Known Member

PaddyOBrien likes this.
  8. scuba

scuba Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Just no.
    binlagin likes this.
  9. One

One Well-Known Member

10. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

It would be pretty tough to change without breaking the current firebreath mechanic, firebreath is treated as 'divine' damage that is calculated based off 5% of a creatures current HP that cannot be mitigated, reflected or blocked in any way. Even monsters that have barding resistance take full damage from firebreath... I can only imagine it would be a significant task for Telamon to implement something like this without completely redoing the mechanic.

And historically, dexxers have never been able to reflect/parry firebreath in this era, so it would seem very out of place.
    One likes this.
  11. One

One Well-Known Member

Deacon likes this.
  12. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

I understand why this would be nice for a dexxer but I agree that its not era accurate. A single parry dexxer should have a difficult time soloing a dragon... I mean come on its dragon!

Besides there are several existing builds that allow a dexxer to solo dragons no problem. And here are some examples:
    • Dexxer with healing and 1 hired paladin
    • Dexxer with animal lore + vet and 1 forest ostard
    • Dexxer with provo
    • Dexxer with peace
    • Dexxer with discord, resist, and a little hit & run
    • Dexxer with taming (me)
    And I am sure there are others. In general, not a change that I think we need to bother the staff with.
    One likes this.
  13. One

One Well-Known Member

14. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Lol, ya sorry. I think everyone knows that I am not a PvP player. All my builds are sitting ducks when PKs show up. :)
    One likes this.
  15. One

One Well-Known Member

16. Everlast

Everlast Well-Known Member

I don't like the idea for these reasons:
    Dragon Firebreath dodging with a shield.. the shield would become instantly hot and burn the warriors hand(s) to the point the warrior could no longer fight. Not to mention the shield would need to be able to entirely shield the warrior, and thick enough not to melt, which would be a very large, very heavy shield.

Dodging magic spells with a shield - magic is just that, magic.. it cannot be dodged. Just like the spells never miss for any reason, even if the caster dies after the spell is successfully cast. After successful cast, a spell leaves the mage and creates the effect on the target, thus why spells don't miss. Spells can be REFLECTED.. but the spell didn't miss, it was just redirected by another spell.

I suppose magic shields could exist with a certain limit of reflect on them, but I can't think of a way this could be limited to the point it couldn't be abused.
    One likes this.
  17. Everlast

Everlast Well-Known Member

Doesn't recall never fail with a scroll?
  18. One

One Well-Known Member

Everlast likes this.
  19. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

The firebreath mechanic has already been nerfed, previously there was no damage cap and you could be one shot by it. Currently I believe there's a maximum damage of around 40~, which is reasonable given that dexxers can hit harder and more often, even on 1%hp. Additionally Dragons/mares could also chain firebreaths, leading to 120~hp undodgable attacks, however Telamon added a delay between to nerf them.

I agree. I was against initial bonding, and the additional bonding slots from the Zookeeper scroll. There's no shortage of dragons and I've never had problems going out and finding an untamed one.

Bonding has made it way too easy to have incredibly strong pets with little to no effort; maybe bonding made sense in OSI when people had one account and couldn't train up two dragons and a nightmare while their other accounts were out farming. I could probably count on one hand how many tamers had 'perfect' dragons on OSI, yet it seems that most pets here are 5-6xGM with near perfect stats.

It's hard to quantify a change like this that has significant PvP/PvM implications, I can only imagine that it would take a significant amount of testing/development before a polished version is ready.

Rather than looking for out-of-era examples, there are some in-era ideas that could buff Dexxers that haven't been visited. Tribal warriors that existed later in the Renaissance era had tribal spears which were around force level with significantly lower durability; the kicker was that they dealt significantly more damage to pets, being able to deal 100+hp hits pretty easily and kill a nightmare in 5 swings.

Ultimately though, I feel that firebreath is a well established mechanic that gives dragons/nightmares/AW's a good bonus, I feel that the core of the issue is that tamers have too many control slots, ideally it should be reduced to about 4-5.
    One likes this.
  20. Soma Holiday

Soma Holiday Active Member

This is pretty funny... also seems pretty true?

My vote would be for small changes that put dexxers on something closer to a level playing field rather than nerfing tamers in any way. Nerfs are annoying when players are used to playing a certain way and have invested a lot of time in making their characters, training their pets, etc... and since there are so many tamers here, that would affect a lot of people. Better to increase fun for one smallish group than to increase frustration for a much bigger group.
    One likes this.