Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by One, Oct 24, 2015.

What, if anything, should be done to reduce murder on this server?

1. Prohibit criminal aggressors from using gates.

18 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Implement holy light scrolls.

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. Allow characters with forensic evaluation to track PKs all over the map.

12 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. Make red characters vulnerable to slayers.

6 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Increase stat-loss

16 vote(s)
    20.5%
  6. Make mercenaries NPCs considerably stronger and unhireable by red characters.

6 vote(s)
    7.7%
  7. Don't change anything I love PKs and I think this would be a better server if we had more of them.

48 vote(s)
    61.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  2. Erza Scarlet

Erza Scarlet Well-Known Member

Simple answer:

Form an anti PK guild, set up nice rules and help new players.
    Its in your hand to change this to be a better place, this has nothing or less to do with mechanics.

And yes, we are working on it, stay tuned!
    M3THMOUTH, Ducky, Lightshade and 7 others like this.
  3. One

One Well-Known Member

newme likes this.
  4. Erza Scarlet

Well, it all comes down to fast reaction times.
    A suggestion from my side: a shared IRC Channel to report PKs as soon as possible, as well as a own Voicechat + UOAM server to hop into the action fast.

Everything is set up and ready to use, if you need aditional info, feel free to pm me.

My view on your points above:

1: Prohibit criminal aggressors from using gates.
    I dont like the no gate rule, because it would end up in a lot of frustration for PKs (yes, PKs should not complain about getting ganked, but its a huge part of the game as well as a playstyle)

2: Implement holy light scrolls
    No, it would destroy pvp. And by that i mean actual fights, not just PKing

3: Allow characters with forensic eval to track PKs all over the map.
    Get a team with 4-5 people and hunt down solo pks, so they will quit the server out of frustration

4: Make red characters vulnerable to slayers.
    Beeing red does not always means to be only a PK. Some guys go red just to get fights, or other various reasons (idocs for example)
    again, adding something like that is pointless and would destroy some pvp aspects + Runic weapons are doing a lot of damage to 31 AR targets

5: Increase stat-loss.
    That would not prevent anything, it would be just more painful for pks to get back up again.

6: Make mercenary NPCs considerably stronger and unhireable by red characters.
    Again, this would influence pvp on a lot of different levels

7: Don't change anything I love PKs and I think this would be a better server if we had more of them.
    To be honest, ive voted for this because i would like to see more individual pks out there which would make the game more challenging.

TLDR:
    - Nerfing reds pointless and would only drive peple off from this shard.
    - If there were no reds, thiefes, whatever.. then this Game wouldnt be nearly as exciting.
    - Its pretty much in your own power to take steps against whatever you dont like here, its a sandbox game overall.
    newme likes this.
  5. One

One Well-Known Member

6. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    One likes this.
  7. Attila

Attila Active Member

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    newme, El Horno and One like this.
  8. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

option 9: when you get killed by a pk, follow their gate to leave. Take note of what runelibrary they pk out of, note the exact tiles they use at different farming hotspots, fuck them up.
  9. One

One Well-Known Member

10. Meradin

Meradin Well-Known Member

This is a sandbox, make the world you want, if you don't have the patience time or commitment to see a plan threw, join someone who does.
    newme and PaddyOBrien like this.
  11. One

One Well-Known Member

12. Attila

Attila Active Member

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Meradin likes this.
  13. Meradin

Haha yea, everything you said is true...but gates work for everyone, and unlike you who has guards at the other end of the gate. they are gating to other dungeons or houses... One although I appreciate your stand here, I think it is a lazy inexperienced one. There are a lot of guilds that are strong enough to protect their members, perhaps you should consider joining them, and if you don't like any of those, perhaps you should consider joining a new guild that is trying to do something about these problems with real effective solutions, not praying to the patch gods to fix all your problems.
    newme likes this.
  14. One

One Well-Known Member

newme likes this.
  15. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Almost every red on the server avoids stat loss situations by keeping their reds logged in across three accounts. I think it would be reasonable to triple the length of a short and long term to compensate for this. If people are going to pk in groups of 3+ it would be nice if they also felt the repercussions of the murder system.
    newme, Xegugg, Zagyg and 3 others like this.
  16. Meradin

A anti PK guild? No, I don't think it can work but not for the reasons you listed. I was in one of the largest PK guilds in the history of Pacific, we encountered a lot of Anti PK guilds in our time, the problem they faced will be the same that anti PK guilds will face here. Typically these guilds are formed of PvMers tired of being PKed, PvMers tend to not be the best PvPers. In 9 years I saw a dozen Anti PK guilds come and go, in all those guilds maybe 10 people were worth their salt in the field, and 90% of those people end up being recruited by the PKs. PvPers want to be with other PvPers, if I call out in mumble that I need help, and your response is that you are busy flipping bods, how long do you think i'm gonna hang around? The only way to combat killers is to be a killer yourself, the person who wins the fight is the one whose friends show up first.
    One likes this.
  17. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

qft
  18. One

One Well-Known Member

19. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

Alot less people would be out pking, probably for fear that sl will come and put them in deep stat, let's get this implimented immediately!
    One likes this.
  20. Erza Scarlet

A no gate solution after a crime would be the only considerable thing on the list, but again, it would affect pvp in many different ways.

PvP here is not always blue vs red or orange vs orange.

Sometimes you end up with blues+reds vs reds, reds vs reds, and if factioneers and O/C chars are involved, then things are getting much more complicated...
    Lets pretend you fight over an idoc (because youve mentioned it before) kill members from an opposing group and went red because they counted you.. i think things like these shouldnt prevent you from gating out, nor should it be possible to use any kind of overpowered spells or extra weapons (slayers) on you.
    The possibility to get tracked over the whole map is getting pretty ridiccilous because of that reason too.

For pure farming / PK protection, i understand your arguments, but again, any changes will have a big influence on PvP overall because there are simply a lot more pvp elements and possibilitys rather than blue vs red.