Precasting

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Robbbb, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Robbbb

Robbbb Member

I remember you could not precast, equip weapon, unequip weapon and then use spell on target.

Is this accurate?
  2. Six

Six Member

I'm 99% sure you couldn't in UOR, and there's going to be the world's biggest debate on this thread as soon as more people see it. I'll try to find the pub.
  3. Six

Six Member

And that's 4 months before UO:R was released:

http://www.uoguide.com/Publishes

So all you guys saying Ultima is shit without precast, clearly you haven't played in this era, so I wonder why you even came to a Ren era shard?
  4. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Yes you can and always have been able to precast in UOR. You could run around holding FS and beating someone with a spear.
  5. jukeboxhero

jukeboxhero New Member

besides, u start changing things like that, u gunna mess up alot of folks templates. just saying.
  6. Six

Six Member

False, false, false. In player run shards you have always been able to, in the real UO, it was taken out before this era even appeared. And damn if it wasn't the BEST era for pvp!

You guys care so much about ruining templates, you put precast + instant hit and you ruin everyone who came here to not play a tank mage...
  7. jukeboxhero

jukeboxhero New Member

instant hit?--thats good if u use a hally mage with 100/25/100. u wont see very many folks that have palyed UOR for a while roll any of that :p
  8. Six

Six Member

I'm trying to get away from a melee wep template. I was excited about a UOR server because I thought 'Hey, I'll be able to play a nox mage, or a scrip mage, a roach mage! omg and it'll be viable!'

Scared now if precast stays I'll be forced to play the same old spec again.
  9. jukeboxhero

jukeboxhero New Member

u wont, because ull have to use different skill and stats, dont worry ull see after launch, actually heal mages are very hard to kill
  10. Robbbb

Robbbb Member

if you are trying to emulate and era, based on the playing style and how it functioned, then you have to get rid of precasting. This isnt a small little 'era accurate' mechanic. This is part of the structure of PVP in this era and it must be taken out.
  11. Six

Six Member

12. Mad_Bob

Mad_Bob New Member

If you look at the pub 13 notes you can see where they re-enabled precast in UO:R:

http://www.uoguide.com/Publish_13

"Pre-casting" has been re-enabled as follows:
    You cannot equip anything while you are casting.
    After you cast a spell, it will "time out" after 30 seconds and can no longer target anything. During those 30 seconds, you can now equip a weapon, attack with it without ruining your stored spell. When you release the spell, you will automatically unwield your weapon."

Pre-casting just allows more viable templates. I remember fighting against tank mages in UO:R and having no problem dealing with them. Various other elements of UO:R make pure mages much more powerful and able to hold their own such as stun, scribe and not being able to heal through poison.
  13. jukeboxhero

jukeboxhero New Member

14. Dragkiris

Dragkiris New Member

I remember precast being took out in Ren or right before. This is what made other mages viable besides the halberd mage.
  15. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Precasting was part of UOR for the majority of the time. It was only briefly removed, and reinstated later. The staff here are not going to limit themselves to a specific patch date or set of notes like UOSA.
  16. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

And this is why i love it here... sooo many possible set ups... i need more accounts!!!
  17. Abyz

Abyz New Member

Plenty of templates are viable here, even with precasting. And there is no insta-hit right?
  18. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

No insta-hit and the relevant part of the pre-casting notes are the inabilty to 'hold' a spell longer than 30 seconds. Sure, that's a nice window of time, but with poison blocking heals and other such fun, it shouldn't be an OP issue.
  19. Abyz

Abyz New Member

No precasting would be utterly dumb.... And pure mages can still compete if one has the slightest bit of skill at all.
  20. Double Vision

Double Vision New Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is a player run shard.