Provo Onto Players

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Pirul, Feb 16, 2017.

1. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  2. Milky Milkerson

Milky Milkerson Active Member

You guys are sort of missing that like half of tamers also have provo. You're taking the strongest and giving them more power. I guess I just don't see the point. If you want to make your provo mage viable in pvp the solution is pretty easy - drop music and provo and add some pvp skills.OR drop some less useful skills and add taming, lore, and vet.
  3. Namarra

Namarra Active Member

The main point is that having Provo work on players is era accurate and would add to a Bard's usefulness or ability to defend/escape. PKs already kite pets with ease, adding a random mob to the mix isn't a big deal. I don't really care for the other suggestions about peace and discord.
  4. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I just want to provo mongbats unto my dexxer instead of my bard. This has nothing to do with PvP.

It is a mechanic that always existed in UO, and that makes absolute sense, as the skill as such is used upon the monster to aggro unto the target and it should make no difference if the target is an NPC or PC.
    Jupiter and One like this.
  5. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

I could guess that a lot of the friction with this idea has to do with the abuse potential. While in theory standard criminal flagging should suffice, maybe a compromise that would help get our foot in the door so to speak would be only allowing provocation onto grey or red players/mobs.
    One and Namarra like this.
  6. Namarra

Namarra Active Member

@El Horno Treating criminals/grays/reds as monsters in regards to provocation targeting would probably do the job. But I'm not sure limiting it that way is a good idea? Criminal flagging, the same as attacking a player normally, would be the best way to handle provoking onto blues. Just the same as you would be a criminal for attacking someone with a spear or your own pets, you should be a criminal for attacking someone with a provoked beast.
  7. El Horno

ya.... while I agree with that in theory, that is what you all have been trying to push through for years now and it hasn't come to fruition. Perhaps just disallow provoking ONTO blue players completely in order to make the proposition more appealing to telamon and less ripe for abuse.
    Seriously imagine the level of bullshit you could throw at people if you could provo onto blues. If you are having trouble picturing some of the possible scenarios let me know and I'll start spelling it out.
  8. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Yes, many of us can imagine it, because we fucking did it, for years. This isn't as complicated as it's made to sound. It's literally ridiculous that it's taking this much conversation to sort something that was sorted on OSI practically two decades ago. The biggest hitch was breaking fucking orcish kin masks provoking orcs onto players wearing them.

Just drop the moonstones already if you add this and don't allow provoking onto blues. lol wtf
  9. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member

what's a moonstone?
  10. Alco

Alco Active Member

As far i know, moonstone is used to evolve spesific pokemons!
    One likes this.
  11. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member

Oh ok!

*goes to get his Abra*
    Alco likes this.
  12. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  13. Namarra

Namarra Active Member

Abra doesn't evolve that way!

But yeah just prevent orcs, brigands, and pirates from being provoked onto their allied guilds. Allow provoking onto any type of player, providing criminal gump and status when necessary. The same way it works if a tamer attacks someone with pets. Or a dexxer attacks someone with their weapon. Or a mage attacks someone with explosion pots spells.
    One likes this.
  14. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

1.- Abuse/flagging/provo onto blues: WTF?!?! Like really, wtf?!?! What is the "exploit" potential of provoking unto blues? You mean that if I provo 1 (one) monster unto a blue player, said player cannot do anything to avoid/prevent/escape in the 10 seconds it would take to provoke a second creature? Not to mention, provo should follow the same flagging rule set that applies to tamers. If a tamer "all kills" unto a blue, then he is flagged as a criminal. If said player dies as a result, he gets a murder count. It is that simple. Same for provo. Not rocket science.
    2.- Mask of orkish kin: An even bigger WTF?!?!? Sice when can you not provoke an orc to fight another orc? Why should wearing a mask prevent someone from provoking any creature unto such person? Because his pretty pixels might break? I think it is time to double click that moonstone that is stuck in your vagina.
  15. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

I am sorry, but I fail to see any valid argument that stands AGAINST provo unto players.
    Kirby likes this.
  16. El Horno

First off, I haven't heard anyone in this thread cite exploit potential except for you, so that feels like a straw man.

As for the abuse potential, ya it absolutely will add another tool in the toolbelt of players with good intentions and bad intentions. With how easy it is to burn counts, 3 accounts, how easy/free it is to train provocation, and the level of creativity of our playerbase, you would be naaive if you think that provo onto players would not be used for both good and evil. Among our playerbase are some that would naturally push the limits of such a change, in either direction, you must know this.

Again, for the record, if it were my decision I would just have standard flagging take care of it and see how it went. As in, I agree with you 100%.
    But again, that hasn't gone anywhere. So looking at the idea with a level of pragmatism and compromise (aka watering down), I think not allowing provocation onto blue players would be a more likely adopted first step.
  17. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member

@Namarra :p
    Namarra likes this.
  18. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Something you'd place on the ground to summon a gate to Trammel. Or inversely, to travel back to Felucca from Trammel, should you find yourself in such a place.

Not allowing provo onto blue players would be a glorious slap in the face to anyone who's been waiting for the change to happen, the way it's supposed to work. This is not up for debate. If it's done with any seasoning to make it less than it once was, it will be garbage and a blight on the shard.
    Pirul likes this.
  19. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

I actually said I don't see an exploit potential.

Absolutely! As it should be with ANY skill. Let people get creative!! At least it will be better than stumbling unto a stealth archer turret of 6-8 hidden archers with +25 vanq H-X-Bows.

I think the reason it hasn't gotten anywhere is more associated to this being far down the priority list as opposed to it being something staff does not want to do. If you read the beggining of my thread, my plea is exactly that. How do we have pages and pages of discussion in issues that are so much less broken/impactful. And by impactful I don't necessarily mean that it will alter balance of anything. Just that it impacts a HUGE number of player characters that are GM provo!!
    One likes this.
  20. Everlast

Everlast Well-Known Member

I assume a provo'd monster onto a player, the provo sticks whereas if the player is just targeted, then the aggy from the monster will keep changing to attack anyone/pet close enough to be aggied. Is that true, a provo'd monster stays on target while a aggied monster continually retargets?