Provo onto Players

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Pirul, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I believe this is already on the staff's radar, however I thought I'd post it up to not let it slip through the cracks.

Currently you cannot provoke monster onto other players or yourself. There are also provo immune NPC's that should likely be able to be provoed upon (ie. wanderng healers).
    Hadrian, One, Beethoven and 1 other person like this.
  2. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

AGREED. Please implement this ASAP!
    Beethoven likes this.
  3. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member

I agree except for wandering healers. I don't see a benefit in additional ways of killing them.
    Beethoven and newme like this.
  4. corruption

corruption Well-Known Member

Conversely, I don't see any negatives to another option to killing a mob that people do farm.

I absolutely miss being able to provo onto self -- its a big reason I haven't spent much time on my bard here. I like using it as a means of crowd control -- once a mob gets low, I change the rest of the crowd's targets to the next highest, and provo the weak one onto self to pull it away and kill it. It was my preferred method and I was sad when I found it didn't work here. Provo onto players would also be a great way to allow the otherwise largely defenseless bards a way to combat PK's.
    Nusir, Beethoven and newme like this.
  5. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member

Who farms wandering healers ?

Please switch to farming rangers.
  6. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

This has been brought up before, but a quick search of forums didn't find the thread, if it was one.

Not only should we be able to provoke wild mobs onto players, but we should also be able to disrupt pre-cast spells with Peacemaking just like it disrupts 'war mode' for any melee fighter. This presently works on players and yet has nil impact on magic casting.
    These kinds of changes will make combative bards a more viable option. Some have made the 4 Music skill battle bards but haven't really gone far with them. I'd love to see firehorns in use regularly and some PK bards even. Run in, provoke the mob off of the tames, onto your target, firehorn the group, mind blast, provoke the mobs onto the player's tames, etc etc.

Gimme.
    Beethoven likes this.
  7. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Make it like 20 skill to provo onto players
  8. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Require special instruments made of oak!!!
    Hadrian and Beethoven like this.
  9. corruption

corruption Well-Known Member

Rangers don't carry sandals in otherwise unattainable hues.

Why is this a negative thing? Healers respawn, just like all mobs do.
  10. Godric Greycliff

Godric Greycliff Well-Known Member

Not that bards need any help but I like these ideas. We should definately be able to provo onto players (it only makes sense) and I like the peace-disruption but it should only work with offensive spells. Either way, I'd like to have a reason to stop considering turning my 4 music skill bard into a disco/vet bot to use with an already completely over-powered provo-tamer.
    Blaise, Beethoven and newme like this.
  11. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member

Ooooh ... sold ! Didn't know that. I only knew herbalists, weaver and jewelers were wearing sandals.
    newme likes this.
  12. Rose

Rose New Member

I like this, But I agree somewhat with the ( even if low skill req.) But as far as disrupting casting, That would be a big change, (If Viable and is considered in the future ) BUT I think Resist, or maybe even ( or the combination of both) wrestling should at GM vs GM reduce chance to 50% or less ( Assuming 100 magery maybe?) I think it would make a powerful build ( bards in general are powerful PvM wise) and I don't think that there should be one class that would be so dominate over others if you took balance ( PvM & PvP) into consideration.
    Beethoven likes this.
  13. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

(In the words of Blaise)

Bump for great justice!
    Beethoven likes this.
  14. Huzke

Huzke Active Member

Not sure I agree with the other propositions in this thread but provoke onto players needs to happen. I'm defenses enough devoting 4 skills to being a bard. Discordance doesn't work on players (rightfully so), peace barely works on players, music is music, and provoke doesn't work on players even though it did on OSI. Come on guys, help a brother out here..
    newme likes this.
  15. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member

Provoke onto players needs to be fixed. This ain't Trammel.
  16. Huzke

Huzke Active Member

Is there a coding issue or something preventing provo onto players from working here? Starting to get pretty annoying having my only means of defense as a pure bard broken with all the new pk's that recently started making their rounds as of late. I love the threat of being pk'd but having to recall every time or take a dirt nap is getting brutally boring.
    Beethoven likes this.
  17. Azaazel

Azaazel Member

This should definitely be fixed. I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated by all. Any of the servers (free and OSI) that I've played on allowed you to provoke onto players. When ever I had PKs come at me I'd always provoke the mobs I was fighting onto them.
    Beethoven and newme like this.
  18. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Renaissance Staff

The issue surrounding why provocation has not yet been fixed & isn't able to be utilized against players is not related to a coding issue, but rather the underlying issues that surface once this restriction is lifted. While we do agree that provocation should be a functional skill vs other players & do plan to correct that, there are numerous other instances which need to be accounted for before we would be able to publish a fix for this.

The restriction itself could be lifted by simply nullifying a few lines of code, but doing so creates more problems which need to be addressed before the change would function properly.

Specifically, to cite a few examples of problems that surface once the restrictions are lifted:

1. The use of provocation against young players from both young & older players needs to be reviewed & properly addressed.
    2. Provoking specific creatures which have specialized features towards players must be accounted for, such as provoking an orc onto a player who is wearing a mask of orcish kin. The masks of orcish kin create a temporary alliance between players & any orc breed when being worn & this needs to be accounted for upon player provocation as well.
    3. Faction related monster allegiances must be properly addressed, otherwise faction aligned monsters would be subject to provocation against something their AI specifically disallows normally.
    4. When used against an innocent player as an act of aggression provocation should flag the aggressor as eligible to be reported for murder should the victim die. If this were incorrectly implemented you would be able to effectively murder anyone without repercussions using provocation.
    Beethoven, newme and Huzke like this.
  19. Wil

Wil Member

Howdy!

Could these be solved by creating a notional archery weapon with 100% hit and 0-0 damage? When the server receives a provoke request with a PC target, it runs the notional weapon. A hit means that young status has been checked, murder eligibility has been triggered, etc. same as if the player had actually fired a bow. The notional hit success then allows the provoke attempt to proceed.

In theory this could avoid the kind of exploits that come from having duplicate code in both places that's not quite the same.

I'm not sure I understand the problem here. Are you saying that an Orc *shouldn't* be provokable against someone wearing a mask of orcish kin? Why not? Orcs can be provoked on to other orcs.

Regards,
    Wil
    Beethoven likes this.
  20. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Publish 11, Update 8:
    • You can no longer provoke orcs onto a player wearing a mask of orcish kin.
    Beethoven likes this.