PvM as a warrior?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by KwwB, Aug 26, 2014.

1. KwwB

KwwB New Member

Is it even possible to PvM against harder monsters as a warrior? Or do you have to be a tamer or bard?

From the few times I have attacked higher end monsters such as a Lich Lord as a warrior the damage is just too intense. It will be much easier once I GM out my Resist, possibly easier enough to kill monsters like Lich Lords, but then when I think about killing bosses... ya right.
  2. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

3. KwwB

KwwB New Member

Mind blown, pretty sweet. Still using bard skills though.

I'm talking straight warrior, such as:

Weapon Skill
    Tact
    Anat
    Healing
    Parry
    Resist
    whatever
  4. Fisher of Men

Fisher of Men Member

Possible? Yes. Feasible? Not really, as a soloist anyway.

If you can work with friends, being the melee guy really speeds up the barding process. Or you could add music and peace (or provoke) to your build if solo action is your plan. You're right though, it is hard for a "pure warrior" to fight the higher end stuff. Actually, "pure mages" come up short against a lot of the higher end stuff. (Due to the ability of monsters to dispel.)
  5. Dalavar

I suspect it's pretty viable, if you're prepared to use potions here and there (particularly, cure potions). I'd bet Balrons are do-able pretty easily, with minimal running off to heal. The annoying thing is that your shield is going to be de-equipped every time you need to chug a potion, particularly cures. Any enemy who naturally poisons (terathans/ophidians, ancient/shadow wyrm) is probably not worth the effort due to their poison claws.

Ogre Lords and Artic Ogre Lords are probably a piece of cake.

Also, do note that Shields on this shard are a bit nerfed, relative to UOR era. I think this is unintentional, so I am hoping it can get fixed in the future.
  6. illbottleya

illbottleya Member

My first character was a swordsman with hiding and some supplemental magery. It's what I played on first on OSI during T2A era so its what I knew best. I got to GM almost all warrior skills except my resist was a bit low (maybe 90). Raising your resist certainly helps but its not exactly life changing either.

It'll be a big help to utilize the bandage timer in razor so you're very efficient with the heals.

Auto un-equip/re-equip shield to drink potions is another huge step in the right direction. You need to cure yourself real fast to take on magic monsters so a measly poison spell doesn't ruin all your bandages. You'll want to use heal/strength/agilty against melee monsters.

Get some magic reflect scrolls or enough magery to cast it with regs as well. Monsters cast nasty magic here and running in with magic reflect up will get you a good head start on them. That way they're down some more health right off the bat and they lose a lot of mana.

Slayer weapons will make a huge difference (better than a vanq) as well but they're expensive. I used a silver hally once and it made the monsters die much quicker but you still have to survive which is the tough part.

For magic monsters, fighting with melee only and using a hally of power, I found things like liches and imps were an appropriate adversary. I never tried a lich lord. I killed some Titans and Terathan Matriarchs which was fun but quite exhausting.

Melee monsters aren't so bad though. I could fight wyverns, drakes, and ogre lords with the occasional retreat.

The low end bosses are doable, like the Revenant and Gamayun. They make for an entertaining fight. Higher end ones? No way. Dark One or Beholder will drop you quite fast.
  7. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I can very easily solo Ogre Lords on my Parry Macer, no bard skills at all. Just need the right gear.

As for the higher end mobs, better off having a team. I doubt anyone can beat down a balron without 1 or more crosshealers running on him.
  8. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

You can use a squire or a dwarf (second account) to follow you and heal you. I took out gamayun this way my first week on the shard. It is recommended that the second account have archery so he can be doing damage from two tiles away and prevent the boss from attacking you.

This tactic is not recommended for shadow or ancient wyrms.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup"
  9. Jupiter

Added note: I took out gamayun with a 70 60 swords and tactics. Check out the story " Flames of Avidus" for a factual record of this event.
  10. Jupiter

Additional added side note: hold alt and left click another character to set follow. When entering caves or moon gates you will have to re-engage follow.

I recommend that you set your designated healer to follow and actually move around with your meat shield (you can't really have a dwarf, but if you name it something like Nimrod the Dwarf I hear it makes you more likely to get gems... ok that's a lie too. But it's still fun to name your characters like that!)
    Ragnarok and Blaise like this.
  11. Baine

Baine Well-Known Member

I love the pure warrior template! It's what I first played on OSI in 2000 and it's what I first made when I started here on UOR in 2012. That being said... I rarely play this template because my game-time is extremely limited and it's just not as effective as other character types.

With a pure warrior I can easily take down any melee mob (GM parry helps with this immensely) but mobs that cast are a different story. Even with a silver weapon and potions, lich lords will kill me more often than not. I can take down wisps, liches, titans, and daemons, but I've learned to steer clear of anything higher.

(Peace warriors are able to push the envelope a little more but in the end tamers will always be able to take down bosses and rake in the gold faster than any other template.)
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  12. KwwB

KwwB New Member

What do you think is wrong with shields compared to classic UOR?
  13. Dalavar

1) they don't have enough base AR in most cases
    2) they don't get enough bonus AR from the "defense" through "invulnerability" modifiers
    3) their chance to block decreases as AR rises, but it's directly proportional. Instead, I believe the chance to block should be static based on the shield type. For example, if you have an Invulnerability with (for example) 30 AR, it will block say 40% of hits by say 15 damage. If you have a store-bought Heater that also has 30 AR, it will also block 40% of hits, for 15 damage per hit. There is literally no point to most magic shields.
  14. Pork Fried Rice

Pork Fried Rice Well-Known Member

Weapon Skill
    Tact
    Anat
    Healing
    Parry
    Resist
    Wrestling

Disarm without fear, but you'll lack magery for utility (cure, teleport, wall of stone, recall, heals, reflect, etc)
  15. Dalavar

You won't ever need the wrestling though... since your weapon is one-handed, you'll only ever disarm the shield to chug a potion.
  16. Pork Fried Rice

Disarm your weapon, not your shield.
  17. Dalavar

That is interesting. I think you'd need a custom Razor macro for this, since it tends to auto-disarm the shield when you hit a potion hotkey.

Certainly would result in less damage than if you disarmed the shield, but I wonder if it's worth the 100 skill points. I can't imagine a character without Magery.
  18. Pork Fried Rice

I totally agree. I put magery on pretty much every character that leaves the house. I'm a big fan of 70-100 magery on warriors. However, setting a razor hotkey to toggle your weapon is easy to do, and if we're trying to find the OP the best situation for what he's looking for, the template with wrestling would be very close to it.
  19. Gozinya

Gozinya Active Member

I dont see the issue if your skills are up to par. I used to take on Lich lords (using silver weps) and Ogre lords, hell even a few demons as a dexer. But never was successful against Dragons or Balrons =( GM, Fencing, Parry, Healing and Resist got the job done for me... I had to pull back a few times to heal up by keeping the creature within 2-3 tiles, not by off screening.